ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Wrestling Recruits Who Actually Won NCAA’s

Max Dean was rated in the 90’s coming out of high school and of course Anthony Cassar who was not rated.

I shot this 8 years ago at Beat the Streets, Cassar is definitely not looking like a future 285 Champ. I think he'd just committed to PSU a short time before and was a prelim match. I don't think many in the crowd had an idea who he was. I didn't have credentials then, had to stand there against the rail in a packed crowd.

Oh, and here's video of that match.

Little known fact about Matt Brown, he actually visited PSU while in high school, had family in the area. Troy Sunderland had zero interest in him even as a walk on.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Little known fact about Matt Brown, he actually visited PSU while in high school, had family in the area. Troy Sunderland had zero interest in him even as a walk on.
Of course Troy didn't see the value in giving Scott Moore financial assistance for his last year after having him free of charge through his first 4 years. Troy also chased Storniolo out the door as well as Billman. Troy missing the boat on talent isn't all that surprising.

So are you saying that rag dolling can lead to much better things?
Yes, I think what he accomplished was totally remarkable. You probably won't see that happen with the new transfer portal.
I actually was hoping Cael would pick him for 197 the year before. I thought he was better technically than Rasheed.
Note: I probably took a little liberty on rag doll comment. Seems to me he got beat 7-0. He had no bottom game.

Last edited:
My favorite low ranked recruit was Stephen Neal. I think he placed 4th in the CA state tournament his Sr year in HS. Coach Kerr at Cal State Bakersfield saw something in him and got him on board. 2X NCAA champion, World FS champion and 3X Super Bowl titles. And on top of all that, a really good guy. That’s a pretty good career if you ask me.

Yes, I think what he accomplished was totally remarkable. You probably won't see that happen with the new transfer portal.
I actually was hoping Cael would pick him for 197 the year before. I thought he was better technically than Rasheed.
Note: I probably took a little liberty on rag doll comment. Seems to me he got beat 7-0. He had no bottom game.
I don' think people use "rag dolling" enough in their everyday talk. Feel free to sprinkle it into any conversation you feel. It will make the world a better place. :)

N
Random post:

I know Dake won a ton of low-scoring matches and that James English wrestled everyone close, but I was still surprised today to see their 2010 Southern Scuffle quarterfinal match score, especially since it was “only” English’s RS Sophomore season.

I think English was beating the NCAA champ with about 20 seconds to go when he got taken down!
The match score says 4-0 Dake

Lock Haven. Only lasted 1 semester.
Although technically correct your answer may lead to incorrect assumptions. From wiki:

"The Pennsylvania native began his collegiate career as a football player at Lock Haven, but a knee injury before the start of his freshman year prevented him from ever suiting up for a game. During winter break, he decided to transfer to his hometown school and take classes at Pittsburgh-Johnstown, which did not have a football team."

Although technically correct your answer may lead to incorrect assumptions. From wiki:

"The Pennsylvania native began his collegiate career as a football player at Lock Haven, but a knee injury before the start of his freshman year prevented him from ever suiting up for a game. During winter break, he decided to transfer to his hometown school and take classes at Pittsburgh-Johnstown, which did not have a football team."
Yeah I remember that, lived a few doors down. He had a posse and a haram to ease the boredom of being sidelined :cool:.
He was a good dude in my brief experience

Max Dean was rated in the 90’s coming out of high school and of course Anthony Cassar who was not rated.
Gabe was rated similarly too if I remember. A couple of late bloomers to be sure. Neither was outstanding their first year either and I don't think Gabe won state as a senior.

ADVERTISEMENT