ADVERTISEMENT

Worst way to lose a wrestling match?

Your wife is impressive. If she can get you in that position, I’d say she deserves the shoes 👠. 🙂
-ecf526dad45ace3a_custom_665xauto_original.jpg

The wife at the office? 👍😀

I fully expect to take a beating for this but I think MM’s loss still is one of the worst ways to take a loss. My issue isn’t with MM, as he is my favorite. I’ve always felt that when a riding time point is locked up, the point should be added to the scoreboard. MM is a tireless, takedown machine that if he looked up and saw the actual score would have been relentless in his pursuit of a takedown IMO. Perhaps I don’t understand some finer point of what takes place at the scorer’s table, but if I can see it on the tv and the announcers can state it, why can’t the actual competitors, coaches and fans in attendance see it on the scoreboard.

I fully expect to take a beating for this but I think MM’s loss still is one of the worst ways to take a loss. My issue isn’t with MM, as he is my favorite. I’ve always felt that when a riding time point is locked up, the point should be added to the scoreboard. MM is a tireless, takedown machine that if he looked up and saw the actual score would have been relentless in his pursuit of a takedown IMO. Perhaps I don’t understand some finer point of what takes place at the scorer’s table, but if I can see it on the tv and the announcers can state it, why can’t the actual competitors, coaches and fans in attendance see it on the scoreboard.
I would think he knew what it was going into the 3rd period. He didn't get a lot of riding time himself to offset it. I was thinking maybe the mix was on the scoreboard because on TV it didn't seem the score was updated quickly enough. Regardless, doesn't make any difference now

Reactions: jjw165
Might be up there as one of the worst.
Much worse to get carted out of the arena.

One year at states, Thomas Haines spladled a kid to the hospital. It wasn't vicious -- the poor kid just wasn't flexible enough and tore his groin or hamstring during the roll. The video is probably still out there (maybe on Flo?) but don't watch it with sound. The screaming was awful.

The most embarassing way to lose? Probably getting pinned by someone who is so gassed they can barely stand.

IMO, the worst way you can lose a wrestling match is the same as the worst way you can win a wrestling match. That is waiting to actually do anything offensive until the last 30 seconds of the 3rd or until SV. I just can’t imagine being proud of that kind of performance regardless of who wins.

The spladle is certainly embarrassing, but I’d rather get spladled and lose once in a blue moon because I was trying to win rather than trying not to lose and force a 1-1 match into SV.

Reactions: jjw165
Brock Hardy honestly played it off really well (shouldn't surprise anyone) and honestly, he spun it for positive attention on himself and the sport and really let the world see what a class act he is. Sounds like he might even get some NIL deals from Barstool from it which I love.

well for me it was the 1 and only time I got pinned was like my 2nd match ever and was on bottom when the kids put a 3/4 nelson on me I didn't realize he had my foot hooked so when I tried to roll thru well we know what happened!

Reactions: donboy6499
One that has to rank right up there with the worst is a teammate of mine who literally shat himself off the mat. He had something going on before the meet, and when he got tossed in a headlock midway through his match, well . . . a brown spot grew and grew, until he just gave up, pinned himself, sprinted off the mat and out the back door of the gym to the locker room.

I thought Beau's was one of the worst ever. He had the match in his hands. Great move, and then sh&t happened. Should be a National Champion.

Reactions: YYZ86
The worst one I’ve ever seen/heard of just happened a couple of weeks ago to one of my former wrestlers in the Keystone Tournament Finals. He was winning 4-0 with less than a minute left and got DQ’d for a chop and tight waist. His opponent had already taken injury time twice and the ref called the chop and tight waist something like an illegal move or unsportsmanlike conduct so when the kid didn’t get up before time expired, my former wrestler got DQ’d with 6 seconds left in the match.

I watched the match footage and it looks no different than any chop breakdown I’ve ever seen used in a match. No wind up, nothing. Apparently, the official had no clue that it was a finals match and had several other bad calls throughout the tournament.

Last weekend at PJWs, that same kid who couldn’t continue, cried while on the podium, and had to have his dad hold his arm at Keystones, was just fine and competed the whole tournament without issue.

One that has to rank right up there with the worst is a teammate of mine who literally shat himself off the mat. He had something going on before the meet, and when he got tossed in a headlock midway through his match, well . . . a brown spot grew and grew, until he just gave up, pinned himself, sprinted off the mat and out the back door of the gym to the locker room.

oh-shit-wow.gif

(Literally...)

The worst one I’ve ever seen/heard of just happened a couple of weeks ago to one of my former wrestlers in the Keystone Tournament Finals. He was winning 4-0 with less than a minute left and got DQ’d for a chop and tight waist. His opponent had already taken injury time twice and the ref called the chop and tight waist something like an illegal move or unsportsmanlike conduct so when the kid didn’t get up before time expired, my former wrestler got DQ’d with 6 seconds left in the match.

I watched the match footage and it looks no different than any chop breakdown I’ve ever seen used in a match. No wind up, nothing. Apparently, the official had no clue that it was a finals match and had several other bad calls throughout the tournament.

Last weekend at PJWs, that same kid who couldn’t continue, cried while on the podium, and had to have his dad hold his arm at Keystones, was just fine and competed the whole tournament without issue.

Big Fella, do you remember Joe Hibbler?
Joe was the fiesty type and when he came up against a certain area wrestler (no need for name) who had a habit of "tapping" any time he got in a bad spot, he had a plan. Practically everyone knew of this tactic and the kid got plenty of boo's whenever he would pull the stunt.They met in the finals of a local HS tourney and sure enough Joe got him to his back. The punk started the finger twirl but before the ref had a chance to even see the twirl Joe reached out and trapped that arm along with the other one he had trapped already. Joe got the fall and after the handshake and arm-raise Joe walked off the mat with the double finger twirl goin, needless to say,to a standing ovation.

Reactions: hlstone

Big Fella, do you remember Joe Hibbler?
Joe was the fiesty type and when he came up against a certain area wrestler (no need for name) who had a habit of "tapping" any time he got in a bad spot, he had a plan. Practically everyone knew of this tactic and the kid got plenty of boo's whenever he would pull the stunt.They met in the finals of a local HS tourney and sure enough Joe got him to his back. The punk started the finger twirl but before the ref had a chance to even see the twirl Joe reached out and trapped that arm along with the other one he had trapped already. Joe got the fall and after the handshake and arm-raise Joe walked off the mat with the double finger twirl goin, needless to say,to a standing ovation.
I remember Joe well. I want to say that was at the North East Tournament finals, but I could be wrong. He was one of those kids who made you feel like your lead wasn’t safe until the match was over. He and his brother Chris had that chin whip that was flat out deadly. They’d hit it anywhere and everywhere.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
I remember Joe well. I want to say that was at the North East Tournament finals, but I could be wrong. He was one of those kids who made you feel like your lead wasn’t safe until the match was over. He and his brother Chris had that chin whip that was flat out deadly. They’d hit it anywhere and everywhere.
My older son was always at the same weight as Joe, wrestled many times starting with the EWL.

Reactions: BigFella235
Tough to watch, sure, but also likely that we see an April 2027 thread where discussions of an MM career loss have only the one option.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
had a teammate do that as well!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT