ADVERTISEMENT

Worst offensive call in basketball history in PSU game today (video)

If we lined up your posts next to CR66's, could we guess who was who?

PSU

Re: Are you serious? LOL!! He went near that OSU guy and got shoved out of

"Look at BTN. If UM is playing OSU in jerking off, it will be on that network."

And Gerry DiNardo and Desmond Howard would be the announcers!!!!!! We could get Triponey to be the sideline reporter!!!

I'm a high school basketball ref, I love making illegal screen calls...

...that is the most pathetic call I've seen in a PSU game this year. Yes, even worse than the Maryland one. The MD game, that ref got fooled. This call, he had no angle to be able to tell anything. 23 OSU should have been called for an intentional foul with the PSU fastbreak layup counting. How you can come back and call an illegal screen when you're even with the two players running is incredibly poor officiating. The ref is either Chris Beaver or Donnie Eppley. Can't distinctly tell from that Vine which one it is. Eppley is pretty decent. I've never heard of Beaver.

Re: I'm a high school basketball ref, I love making illegal screen calls...

"I've never heard of Beaver."

That's a good thing...all it does is screw up your life!

Re: I didn't say it was the right call --- but it's defensible

Originally posted by michnittlion:
You tell me, which of these 2 theories is more believable:

(1) the ref saw what he perceived to be a "moving screen" (those are illegal in basketball) and that's why he made the call.

(2) the ref is part of a multi-referee, wide-ranging conspiracy to screw Penn State in basketball and football, and that's why he made the call. (note that the score is freaking 15-12 w/ 30:00 to go at the time of this call).
Its a good thing that CDW3333 and Trolling Route 66 still post here. Because without them, you'd be the biggest dipshit on these boards.

Your lack of clear judgement is mindboggling mich...

I'm giving you the benefit of he doubt and going with that theory until someone proves you're a troll. Troll is the only other plausible explanation.

Re: Actually...I think that was 2002

I was waiting for Witvoet to come out of the stands and call a clipping penalty on Newbill!

Re: I'm a high school basketball ref, I love making illegal screen calls...

I coach HS, showed this to a ref friend of mine via email. He laughed. Said any below average HS ref even lets that go as a no call.

Re: A call like that deserves a public reprimand of the official, and, if he is

This. ^^^^^^.

Just saw the replay. I know there are bad calls in every game across the country but they are usually block verses charge type judgement calls. That was the worst call by an official I've ever seen since......well......since PSU played Maryland a few weeks ago. I've never seen anything called like that before.

The real problem here is that the refs are never publicly reprimanded or suspended after calls like that. There's no accountability which is what angers Penn Staters when they see calls like that repeated over and over.

The bottom line is that the big ten will not touch this in football or basketball - especially when Psu just 'takes it'. It took Paterno embarassing the big ten football officials on espn for them to start replay. So long as Chambers and Barbour sit there quietly it will continue.

This post was edited on 3/5 11:57 AM by psu00

Re: I don't know --- why's DJ even hanging around the OSU guy?

Originally posted by michnittlion:
I don't know --- why's DJ even hanging around the OSU guy?
Because maybe if the PSU guy misses the shot, he may have to rebound!!!!!!!!!

Holy sh*t!

I feel so bad for Pat and the team. They don't deserve this. I think I read that we've lost 10 conference games this year by nine or fewer points. These kinds of calls, which happen far too often *against* us, are absolute garbage. Someone at Penn State needs to say something. The good news is that this stuff is starting to get noticed. We need more allies like Jeff Eisenberg. And Newbill deserved better. Ugh - just sickening.

..and don't think recruits aren't noticing

better said, recruits are noticing. If not, competitive coaches are pointing it out.

Re: ..and don't think recruits aren't noticing

Originally posted by Obliviax:
better said, recruits are noticing. If not, competitive coaches are pointing it out.
Do you mean they're noticing and wanting to come to Penn State? Or the opposite?

opposite. If I am a recruit, I am looking at the best place to go to a) give me an op for the pros and 2) to get a good education incase a doesn't pan out.

Really bad calls, done year in and year out, won't work to our advantage. Who wants to be set up like that?

I was at the game, the entire arena was befuddled on why DJ received the foul. After watching the tape, it is obviously a pushing foul by #23. Only call this that was worst was the moving pick called on Jordan Dickerson in the MD game when a MD player actually tackled Jordan.

Game after game I go to the BJC and think that I have seen the worst called game ever; and constantly I am proven wrong by the officials doing the next game I attend. It is pitiful!

It was a pretty obvious and intentional push. A little surprising that PSU didn't get a T for the push.

To be honest, I don't think that recruits are noticing the bad calls. I think that current Penn State players (and fans) are noticing them and the current players may question why put in all the effort when you're going to be subjected to this stuff repeatedly. However, outside recruits I think are looking at overall record, games on TV, and the general 'buzz' about the team on places like ESPN.

I didn't see the Penn State game last night. I was watching Louisville and Notre Dame. At the end of that game they showed a lot of the Penn State Ohio State highlights several times. Needless to say, it was as if Penn State was not even playing. Every highlight was just Ohio State. There was not one Penn State highlight shown. All the discussion was on Ohio State and how great they were playing right now. At the time Osu was up by about 12 IIRC. This is what potential recruits see and are concerned with. Watching the highlights last night, it was as if Ohio State was an 'up-and-coming team' that you would love to play for and Penn State literally did not exist.

If we could blacklist all the officials....

that are looking to jam us, and decline their assignments, in about three years there would be none left to do the games. We would have to go to the far reaches of Aboriginal Tasmania, find people who never heard of basketball, explain the game and the rules to them, and bring them over here to officiate our games. After that we would have to start searching other planets.

Then we can start on football....
This post was edited on 3/5 12:22 PM by Victor E. Bell

The only way to make it change is to throw the light if day on it, over and

over. It has to be done by Barbour, and be done publicly. Quiet, behind the scene stuff gets you nowhere. Put together a tape, call a press conference and call it what it is, corruption. There is plenty of evidence. Who cares if they fine us. Do it every time. This stuff has to stop. If we are lucky we get thrown out of this joke conference and get our tv rights back.

Find me a team with this many ridiculous calls against them in multiple

sports across this many years and maybe I'll consider door number one. Otherwise "You're lucky to be playing ..." says it all.

Re: Are you serious? LOL!! He went near that OSU guy and got shoved out of

Originally posted by EPC FAN:
the way. Who calls that, EVER? This conference is a clusterf*ck of terrible decision making. It is just centered around the two schools that have won the most over a long period of time. Nothing else seems to matter to the conference. Look at BTN. If UM is playing OSU in jerking off, it will be on that network.
The last sentence would have had me snorting coffee onto the screen, fortunately I had no drink in hand or better in mouth to spray. Given that thought, what kind of egregious foul would a big 2 ref call in that venue or competition? Illegal lubing? double dribble? HOLDING? illegal use of hands?

This post was edited on 3/5 5:08 PM by Carl Spackler

ADVERTISEMENT