ADVERTISEMENT

Worst offensive call in basketball history in PSU game today (video)

^^^Needs to go viral. Better yet...

A montage of our season's bad calls needs to go viral. Plenty of material.

It was a terrible call. The ref was at a poor angle to the play and should have swallowed the whistle. I do believe they whistled OSU at the other end on the following play as an even up call, however.

The three or four Sandusky comments following the video are telling

...me that we're effed forever. Punch a PSU player in the face? Personal foul on Penn State. Take your stick and bash a PSU player's head in? Roughing on Penn State. Forget it.

This is what we agreed to when the man whose name adorns our ice cream parlor signed the consent decree. 31 different flavors of f****d.

Just Saw It - Big 10(14) Officiating Continues To Be A Joke!

Of course, I'M at fault because I'M always complaining.....well, screw Delany and screw the Big 10(14).

Clean up your act and I'll clean up mine.

I hope Chambers and Barbour are on this in the morning.

I tuned in too late to see this call. Did Chambers complain short of a technical?

Re: I hope Chambers and Barbour are on this in the morning.

Yes. He was in disbelief.

Well this is nothing unsual. Remember now

Remember we are lucky we are even playing, right ? Or was that just supposed to be our football team according to the B1G refs ? The funny thing is we should be at the point where we expect those kind of calls and you just have to accept them.

That call was nothing compared to the B1G referee actions in our football game against the Buckeyes this past season. Really, those calls (interception hitting the ground on replay as plain as could be, but supposedly replay malfunction well into the game ??? Buckeye 50 yard field goal after the clock had expired by 3-4 seconds in plain view of everyone on national TV except for the back judge whose only job is to watch the clock and he was facing towards it on replay, and oh how about the launching/leaping call on Mike Hull on the extra point that wasn't even blocked in overtime, but conveniently penalizes Penn State 15 yards on the next OT possession to essentially ensure the OT win for the Buckeyes. The call is almost never made and upon replay Hull never launched anyway. I could go on about some holding and missed holding calls, but those 3 game changing calls were enough to mention for now. No Bias in the B1G whatsoever. Just accept it.....

This post was edited on 3/4 9:26 PM by GulfCoastLion

This post was edited on 3/4 11:27 PM by GulfCoastLion

This post was edited on 3/4 11:33 PM by GulfCoastLion

A call like that deserves a public reprimand of the official, and, if he is

a repeat offender, a suspension for a game or more.

Re: A call like that deserves a public reprimand of the official, and, if he is

His name should be published and anytime he is assigned to PSU in the future, they should appeal / protest having him as a ref for their games.

^^ Yup ^^ It's really sad, but we have to come to the realization...

...that we will not be getting a fair shake from officials (at least in the "major" sports, and when it matters) for the foreseeable future.

Sucks for us alums/fans, but I really feel bad for the kids that our out there giving it their all on the field (and then in the classroom) to represent Penn State.

What's extra amazing is that the official was.....

...so quick and sure of the call, and was so forceful in the delivery of the call. It actually looked like he was excited to make it.

This post was edited on 3/5 12:23 AM by thecoolestfish

The call tonight and the one against Maryland should worry us.

Refs really want to stick it to PSU. No other way to describe those two calls.

Horrible, horrible call. Is it a coincidence

worst call in the history of college basketball vs. MarylandPerhaps the second worst call in history of college basketball last nightbroken replay equipmentextra 3/4 seconds on FGThe awful no holding calls on the goal line a couple of years agoetc. etc. etc.
These things simply cannot be coincidences. Watching all kinds of sports, its easy to get paranoid. But being a fan of tons of teams, I've never seen anything like this. Of the ten worst calls/non-calls I've ever seen in my life, Penn St. is involved in 9 of them (the ref reviewing a play after another was run on the Browns is in the top ten). j

Just horrible....no way to describe it unless you introduce some kind of conspiracy/prejudice.

I don't know --- why's DJ even hanging around the OSU guy?

I'm not saying it's a great call, but I can understand how a ref saw a "moving screen."

Lol, it really is your MO to just take the opposite opinion of everything

on this board and go with it.

I didn't say it was the right call --- but it's defensible

You tell me, which of these 2 theories is more believable:

(1) the ref saw what he perceived to be a "moving screen" (those are illegal in basketball) and that's why he made the call.

(2) the ref is part of a multi-referee, wide-ranging conspiracy to screw Penn State in basketball and football, and that's why he made the call. (note that the score is freaking 15-12 w/ 30:00 to go at the time of this call).

Re: I didn't say it was the right call --- but it's defensible

If you saw that as a moving screen, then I have some swampland in Florida to sell you.

There may not be a conspiracy but this call, on it's own, is really, really bad.

Are you asking a serious question?

so PSU players need to run away from opposing players at all times if not engaged with the ball?

The PSU player was running in a strait line, not engaging the tOSU player at all. The tOSU player elbows the PSU player yards behind the action. How can you possibly see this any other way? Not only was if a foul against tOSU, it could have been called a flagrent foul that could have resulted in a fight.

And, BTW, the makeup call doesn't even it up. The makeup call only offset the foul. it didn't award PSU a basket. It was similar to refs calling offsetting penalties in football.

Re: I didn't say it was the right call --- but it's defensible

I think I'm going to go with #2, although it sounds a little paranoid, after what I've seen over the last several years, it's the only explaination.
Originally posted by michnittlion:
You tell me, which of these 2 theories is more believable:

(1) the ref saw what he perceived to be a "moving screen" (those are illegal in basketball) and that's why he made the call.

(2) the ref is part of a multi-referee, wide-ranging conspiracy to screw Penn State in basketball and football, and that's why he made the call. (note that the score is freaking 15-12 w/ 30:00 to go at the time of this call).

Really Mich???? Come on. I watch and coach a lot of....

basketball, and if anything DJ was just trying to be a slight shield - but to say it was a moving screen??????? THAT IS ridiculous. Almost as bad as the take-down against PSU a few weeks back.

Basketball has too many touches and too many calls from refs (either way) to just say it is some kind of conspiracy. However, that is BAD OFFICIATING against a team that needs to catch a few breaks. Hey, we cause a lot of our own problems on the court - but there have been some really bad calls made by refs that get paid a pretty good penny to ref these games. And if something is that blatant, I can't imagine another ref couldn't confer and potentially help override a call or two. I get you don't want to show up another ref - and maybe they weren't watching it or had a bad angle - but it really should be about getting calls right. That was BRUTAL!

Door number one

The call was horrendous and essentially incompetence or the ref was completely out of position, or maybe hallucinating when he blew the whistle. This game didn't mean much and the fact that this happens often is likely a coincidence in the BIG, or the refs are just not very good.

Now if you can explain the 3 calls in the football game vs the Buckeyes at Beaver Stadium last season that I posted in this thread below, then you will be revered on this message board. Would love to hear a good, intelligent explanation on why those calls occurred. I guess it was simply gross incompetence and technical difficulties at crucial moments in a huge game ? And that has happened many other times in this conference.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:11 AM by GulfCoastLion

Can we please get the :eff" out of this conference? It stops being

a coincidence at some point.

I'm not going to Zapruder film this, but a longer clip is inside

your claim that "the PSU player was running in a straight line" is debatable.

Sorry, and I don't mean to direct this to you personally, but more to the board as a whole ----- but this board makes PSU look like idiots when we claim EVERYTHING is some conspiracy against Penn State.

If people want to be taken seriously, how about focusing the complaints?

There were definitely some odd things that occurred in our football game vs. OSU this past October. And it's undeniable that conferences have a financial incentive to ensure that their top teams get into the 4-team playoff. If we're going to be advocating for something, it should be for a nation-wide pool of referees for football games. Start there. God, OSU is going to be some #6 or #7-seed that loses in the 2nd round of the NCAA, they didn't need help from the refs yesterday to further firm their grip on that inevitable destiny of theirs.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:10 AM by michnittlion

Longer clip: OSU at PSU 4-March-2015

A moving screen??? You must be looking at the wrong clip.

Because in the actual clip, you see that there is no way on God's green Earth that anyone could see a "moving screen."

I literally LOL'ed at your response, before realizing that you're probably just looking at some other play. (Though your response was still kinda funny for some reason)

It is not defensible whatsoever. It's on YAHOO frontpage now

As the worst call in college basketball this year. I know what a moving screen is. If this is any call, it's going to be on the defense, and count the bucket, Penn State's ball at the spot of the foul. Giving 2 choices, one being ref made a bad call and second equating to a second shooter on the grassy knoll doesn't make your point valid. It makes you a moron.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:11 AM by dwiz

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/sta

Re: I'm not going to Zapruder film this, but a longer clip is inside

well, I respect your posts. This is an egregious call by any standard. In fact, there was no way the buckeye player was going to catch the guy with the ball. The PSU guy was simply running down the court. He wasn't parallel to the OOB line, but was running toward the goal. This what he should be doing in terms of rebounding or positioning to play defense.

The call, by any standard, is inexcusable. I would also call your attention to the ref. He is way over animated on the call. He clearly knows it is a bad call because refs don't get that animated. He was out to get the PSU player, and he did.

Holy $hit you ARE looking at the same clip!! Dude, you do know....

...don't you, for it to be a screen, you have to actually get in the path of the defender -- Not just move in the general direction of path of the defender.

If that is a screening violation, then I can freeze-frame at any point doing a basketball game and point out FOUR simultaneous screen plays that nobody is even thinking might be a screen play.

I personally think this one is much more egregious than the one that was called against Maryland where the Maryland defender grabbed the back shoulder of our player and dragged him to the ground.

Are you serious? LOL!! He went near that OSU guy and got shoved out of

the way. Who calls that, EVER? This conference is a clusterf*ck of terrible decision making. It is just centered around the two schools that have won the most over a long period of time. Nothing else seems to matter to the conference. Look at BTN. If UM is playing OSU in jerking off, it will be on that network.

Bingo! I said the same thing in the thread below...

Originally posted by Obliviax:

The call, by any standard, is inexcusable. I would also call your attention to the ref. He is way over animated on the call. He clearly knows it is a bad call because refs don't get that animated. He was out to get the PSU player, and he did.
The ref just seemed TOO excited to make that very strange call that was 1) Early in the game (i.e. not a "big" call); 2) away from the basket; and 3) had literally no bearing on the play.

It would be interesting to check out that guy's other calls and see if there all that animated. Somehow I doubt it, or his ref buddies would make fun of him for it.

I'm adding you to my ignore list... You can't possibly have any worthwile

thoughts or opinions.

maybe but the 2004 PSU at Michigan football game was a travesty

There were so many bad calls in that game its hard to know where to begin. The worst call was a clear catch, over a yard in bounds, that was called OOB by the ref.

But PSU got called for a ton of penalties (lining up off sides on the goal line in overtime was one). The ref got in the way and knocked down three passes over the middle to LJ. There was a blocked punt where we got called for roughing. And on and on it goes.

This was way before JS. The JS situation just gives them, in their minds, the moral high ground.

DJ was fortunate to be on the court with those OSU student/athletes.

The refs just think he's another PSU DB.

OK, I'll concede the point. What about my OTHER point?

Yes, it was a bad call. (shoot, I never argued it was correct, just that it was defensible)

But anyway. Look at this thread ---- it took all of 5 posts before somebody blamed Rodney Erickson for what happened, and all of 7 posts before somebody blamed Jim Delaney.

Bunch of damn conspiratorial cry-babies we are sometimes. If PSU folk/fans actually want things to change, whining and crying is not an effective strategy.

So as I said, how about this for an actual effective strategy: fans advocate that Barbour be among the ADs looking to move toward a nation-wide pool of college football referees. Shoot, this is something which would probably get wide support from MANY D-1 schools. There is too much financial incentive for individual conferences to screw around.

Re: OK, I'll concede the point. What about my OTHER point?

This makes the call in the Maryland game look legit! Worst call I have ever seen....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT