ADVERTISEMENT

Worst case scenario for PSU

Yes but SEC fans comprehend the importance of those teams winning titles not just their own. We clearly don't. At least on this board.

The SEC will always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playoff spots--when it expands to 12 we need that benefit as well
And you really think it makes a difference who we root for? If that was the case, Penn State would have eight or nine titles! So it only makes sense not to argue about who I'm rooting for. Yeah this argument has going been going on for years. Why not quit the arguing and just root for whoever we want?!!!

Reactions: blair10
I'm a Michigan fan but always root for Penn State out of conference, particularly in bowl games. The Big Ten being strong is good for every team.

Reactions: mcpat and baircub1!
And you really think it makes a difference who we root for? If that was the case, Penn State would have eight or nine titles! So it only makes sense not to argue about who I'm rooting for. Yeah this argument has going been going on for years. Why not quit the arguing and just root for whoever we want?!!!
Root for whomever you want just realize the negative impact to the program you supposedly root for

I'd be interested to hear from PS ex-players and coaches about who they would prefer to see win in other games, both while they were here with skin in the game and now. Let's interview some recent grads, guys from 3, 5, 10, 15 years ago and longer. It would be interesting to find that out.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Lando,I am curious. If Penn State goes undefeated the next 4 years, who else in the B10 will be happy for us and will be waving the banner, "this is good for us to have PS dominating the nation?"
"Everybody if they understand modern college football" - lando, probably

Lando,I am curious. If Penn State goes undefeated the next 4 years, who else in the B10 will be happy for us and will be waving the banner, "this is good for us to have PS dominating the nation?"
You're not supposed to be happy Ohio St and Michigan beat us like they shouldn't be happy we beat them but they would be happy if we beat Georgia Bama etc in the playoffs. Again not a tough concept. You root for the Big Ten in non conference games

Ohio State doesn't deserve to be part of a "playoff". They didn't win the conference. Heck, they didn't win the division. Until there are specific criteria to get in, like winning your conference, it's not a playoff. It's an invitational.

Utah has WON the Pac 12 for 2 consecutive years and they won't even sniff the so called playoff. Ridiculous. Ohio State better than Utah? Who knows. At least Utah won something.
Winning the BiG east = winning the BiG conference.

Utah won the Pac 12 with 3 losses. They couldn't be selected for the playoff.

I've always supported an 8 team playoff. 20 bowl games with 16 being played between Christmas & New Years plus 4 on New Years Day for the top 8 teams. The final 4 would play the next two weeks.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

I've always supported an 8 team playoff. 20 bowl games with 16 being played between Christmas & New Years plus 4 on New Years Day for the top 8 teams. The final 4 would play the next two weeks.
Why have bowl games? This is what I honestly don't understand. It's like we're trying to save an antiquated tradition that we know isn't still valuable

Why have bowl games? This is what I honestly don't understand. It's like we're trying to save an antiquated tradition that we know isn't still valuable
Because fans enjoy them.

Why have the bands perform? Why have fireworks and music? They have nothing to do with the game.

The fans/customers pay for everything. The stadium, practice facilities, travel, salaries, etc. Why don't you want to give the fans what they want? Besides, the players enjoy the bowl games too.

Because fans enjoy them.

Why have the bands perform? Why have fireworks and music? They have nothing to do with the game.

The fans/customers pay for everything. The stadium, practice facilities, travel, salaries, etc. Why don't you want to give the fans what they want? Besides, the players enjoy the bowl games too.
Would players rather compete in a playoff?
I'm sorry but the bowls in scenario are played between mediocre teams. When the bowls first started it was about rewarding certain teams now it's just about seeing if fans are dumb enough to spend money to go.

I'm sorry but the bowls in scenario are played between mediocre teams. When the bowls first started it was about rewarding certain teams now it's just about seeing if fans are dumb enough to spend money to go.
Since we all know your thoughts on the bowl game as a glorified scrimmage can we assume you won’t be posting about it since you have no interest? I think we would all enjoy that.

Since we all know your thoughts on the bowl game as a glorified scrimmage can we assume you won’t be posting about it since you have no interest? I think we would all enjoy that.
I won't be posting about the outcome of the game. I'll post about it the same way I post about the Blue White game.
We all know the game is meaningless. Once everyone accepts that I won't have to respond to nonsense like this is our biggest game in 6 years. Ohio State and Michigan were far bigger games. So were the 10 we won to finish ranked 11th...though we should be 6 or 7.

The players are getting a chance to compete in a playoff. Players on teams that don't make the playoffs will still enjoy a bowl game. You don't think Tennessee and Clemson players are looking forward to the Orange Bowl? You don't think Kansas State players are looking forward to playing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl? Or that Purdue players aren't looking forward to the Cirtus Bowl? If they didn't want to play they could vote to decline the invitation but I don't see that happen very often.

But forget the players. This is about the fans/customers. The bowl games wouldn't exist if the fans weren't willing to support them.

Ohio State doesn't deserve to be part of a "playoff". They didn't win the conference. Heck, they didn't win the division. Until there are specific criteria to get in, like winning your conference, it's not a playoff. It's an invitational.

Utah has WON the Pac 12 for 2 consecutive years and they won't even sniff the so called playoff. Ridiculous. Ohio State better than Utah? Who knows. At least Utah won something.

Eight highest ranked conference winners should feed an 8 team playoff. I don't care if the second place SEC team is thought to be better than the MAC winner. We know it's not better than the first place SEC team which would be in a real playoff.

Roughly been what I've been saying for years. Winning should matter.
Why should OSU be in the playoff? We already know they aren't the best team. They are the 2nd best team in the B1G East. We have no idea how Utah would actually match up, but we know for sure that OSU just lost B1G to the CFP 2 seed. Stupid
In a P5 scenario, my Reco has always been for a 6- team playoff.
5 highest ranked conference champs (will almost always be the P5 champs)
6th team comes from one of the following: ND or highest ranked G5 champ if in Top X (maybe Top 15 or so). If neither ND, nor a G5 team qualify, then begrudgingly, the highest ranked conference runner-up would be selected.

#1-2 get a bye.
#3-4 get a home game against #5-6
Semis and championship are as they exist today.

Make it a Champion of Champions. #WinningMatters

Reactions: johnmpsu
That may be true, but the way PSU has been screwed by the B10 going back to 94’ and the calls we got f***ed over against OSU and Michigan over the years there’s no conference alliance.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
For all the hand-wringing about rooting for your conference, I seem to remember in '94, that it was B1G schools voting against PSU being #1

Honestly, I will never root for UM. I hope they get blasted in the semis. I don't care about OSU. I hope they get blasted in either the semis or final. Next year, I hope Khaki pants goes winless.

The players are getting a chance to compete in a playoff. Players on teams that don't make the playoffs will still enjoy a bowl game. You don't think Tennessee and Clemson players are looking forward to the Orange Bowl? You don't think Kansas State players are looking forward to playing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl? Or that Purdue players aren't looking forward to the Cirtus Bowl? If they didn't want to play they could vote to decline the invitation but I don't see that happen very often.

But forget the players. This is about the fans/customers. The bowl games wouldn't exist if the fans weren't willing to support them.
How many of those guys do you think are going to opt out of the Orange Bowl
DJU already portaled
Why shouldn't Tennessee and Clemson be in a bowl game with the season they had. In a 12 team they are and 12 isn't enough in a league with 130 teams.
K-State will be playing Bama's backups--fun
You can't decline a bowl invite if you're in a conference--it's mandated with COVID being the exception.
Fans are willing to support them and that's the problem

Why should OSU be in the playoff? We already know they aren't the best team. They are the 2nd best team in the B1G East. We have no idea how Utah would actually match up, but we know for sure that OSU just lost B1G to the CFP 2 seed. Stupid
6th team comes from one of the following: ND or highest ranked G5 champ if in Top X (maybe Top 15 or so). If neither ND, nor a G5 team qualify, then begrudgingly, the highest ranked conference runner-up would be selected.

#1-2 get a bye.

I disagree. Do you think 4 loss Purdue should have been in the playoff if they beat Michigan? They do this in basketball but there are many at large bids so a team like Michigan would still be in the playoff (and they would get a higher seed). Football doesn't lend itself to a 64 team field.

Besides, winning does matter. If Purdue had beat Michigan they would have been 9-4 while Michigan would have been 12-1. The team that won the most would be in.

I disagree. Do you think 4 loss Purdue should have been in the playoff if they beat Michigan? They do this in basketball but there are many at large bids so a team like Michigan would still be in the playoff (and they would get a higher seed). Football doesn't lend itself to a 64 team field.

Besides, winning does matter. If Purdue had beat Michigan they would have been 9-4 while Michigan would have been 12-1. The team that won the most would be in.
If the playoff expands appropriately (to at least 20) then both would get in but at that point there either won't be CCGs or at least an 8-4 team won't be in them

Yes. If the B1G is incapable of determining who the best team in the league it, that is on the B1G. Maybe don't put the best 4 teams in the league in the same division.

Yes. If the B1G is incapable of determining who the best team in the league it, that is on the B1G. Maybe don't put the best 4 teams in the league in the same division.
Wow! Even the NCAA basketball tournament doesn't do that. They realize that one game or one tournament isn't the best measure of the entire season. Conference tournament winners get a spot but not necessarily the top seed.

OSU didn't win the big east.

#1-2 get a bye.

Agree with most all of that except for the potential for a wildcard aka a lucky loser. Sadly never going to happen because wildcards create interest which converts to dollars. It's always about the money.

Agree with most all of that except for the potential for a wildcard aka a lucky loser. Sadly never going to happen because wildcards create interest which converts to dollars. It's always about the money.
Can you name a sport where winning a conference or division is a requirement for making the playoffs?
It is about money but it's also about the common sense that the best 2 or even 3 teams might play in the same division/conferences.

Wow! Even the NCAA basketball tournament doesn't do that. They realize that one game or one tournament isn't the best measure of the entire season. Conference tournament winners get a spot but not necessarily the top seed.
Football is very different than basketball. 11 games and every one matters.
If winning a conference doesn't matter, why have championships? TCU, UM, USC had nothing to gain from playing in the conference championship.
If winning a conference doesn't matter, then we are forever destined to "look tests" and arbitrary comparisons. Imagine being USC and tOSU
USC has 1 loss and their IN the CFP. They lose in the PAC-x championship and get knocked out.
tOSU has one loss and their OUT. They the 2nd best team in the B1G, but aren't playing in the B1G championship. They sit home and slide into the CFP.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Fully agree. I was stated what should be done if anyone cared about determining a champion amongst disparate conferences. No one actually cares about anything other than maximizing dollars and so we'll get a 11 game regular season, conference championships, and the final 2 playoff teams will play up to 16 games

My suggestion: let the 12 team playoff happen for at least one year before complaining about it.

Can you name a sport where winning a conference or division is a requirement for making the playoffs?
It is about money but it's also about the common sense that the best 2 or even 3 teams might play in the same division/conferences.
Sure. Baseball used to be that way. First when there were 2 leagues the winners went to the world series. When they expanded to 4 divisions in both leagues ONLY the division winners went to the playoffs. Then they figured out they could make more money and they added wildcards so more teams could make it to a world series. Just because it's like that doesn't make it right. The only reason to add wild cards to playoffs is money. It has nothing to do with being worthy. OSU is not the best team in the big 10. They aren't even the best team in their division. They don't deserve a spot in a playoff. It's an invitational tournament. That's fine but don't call it a playoff to determine a real champion. Utah is more deserving of a shot than OSU or TCU.

Reactions: doctornick
If winning a conference doesn't matter, why have championships? TCU, UM, USC had nothing to gain from playing in the conference championship.
If winning a conference doesn't matter, then we are forever destined to "look tests" and arbitrary comparisons. Imagine being USC and tOSU
USC has 1 loss and their IN the CFP. They lose in the PAC-x championship and get knocked out.
tOSU has one loss and their OUT. They the 2nd best team in the B1G, but aren't playing in the B1G championship. They sit home and slide into the CFP.
Never going to happen--it doesn't even make sense to say someone has to win their conference.

Sure. Baseball used to be that way. First when there were 2 leagues the winners went to the world series. When they expanded to 4 divisions in both leagues ONLY the division winners went to the playoffs. Then they figured out they could make more money and they added wildcards so more teams could make it to a world series. Just because it's like that doesn't make it right. The only reason to add wild cards to playoffs is money. It has nothing to do with being worthy. OSU is not the best team in the big 10. They aren't even the best team in their division. They don't deserve a spot in a playoff. It's an invitational tournament. That's fine but don't call it a playoff to determine a real champion. Utah is more deserving of a shot than OSU or TCU.
Used to be that way--it wasn't only about money--sometimes the best 2 teams were in the same division
The second best team in the Big Ten might be the second best team in the country. You're trying to reward teams for playing in weak conferences. It's absurd.
This is a playoff regardless of your thoughts--and no Ohio State, TCU, Alabama, Tennessee and Penn State are more deserving than Utah

I didn't say conference championships don't matter. I said they shouldn't be the only consideration.

This is why 4 teams isn't enough--also why 12 isn't enough

No, basketball hasn’t figured that out, if they had they would give the automatic bid for the mid majors to the regular season champ, not the tournament winner. Winning the regular season is harder and a lot better test of who the best team is.

Reactions: doctornick
No, basketball hasn’t figured that out, if they had they would give the automatic bid for the mid majors to the regular season champ, not the tournament winner. Winning the regular season is harder and a lot better test of who the best team is.
So who is better? A team that lost three early games but made major improvements or a team that lost its last two? A team that had early key injuries and is now healthy or a team that just lost a couple players? Few teams in September are the same in November.

Reactions: LandoComando
Agreed but for most mid-majors the regular season is just for seeding in the conf tournament. Just like it's slowly becoming in FBS.
Can't wait until 2024--can't wait until they continue to expand once those ratings destroy what we've seen with bowl games.

Can you name another sport where conference champions can be and often are excluded from the playoffs?

The playoffs should be:

The 10 conference champions are in.
Eye Test for ranking of the 10 champions.
7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9. Winners advance and are eye test ranked either 7 or 8.

Here are the quarter finals.
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

You're not supposed to be happy Ohio St and Michigan beat us like they shouldn't be happy we beat them but they would be happy if we beat Georgia Bama etc in the playoffs. Again not a tough concept. You root for the Big Ten in non conference games
The only answer I have for you is.....you must never have been treated the way my family has been treated at games at their venue! We have never had a good experience, even before they started calling us pedophiles! You can't come up with a good enough reason for me to ever pull for those teams. So I will drop the whole discussion with that final statement from me.

ADVERTISEMENT