ADVERTISEMENT

Worst case scenario for PSU

Because you're not grasping something as simple as a conference
You want to pretend we don't need the Big Ten. We need the Big Ten far more than we need them.
I don't even know what this means, but I think I know what you meant to say. I'm not pretending anything about needing conferences. I know I'm not pretending I like OSU or Michigan and that's enough for me.

I don't even know what this means, but I think I know what you meant to say. I'm not pretending anything about needing conferences. I know I'm not pretending I like OSU or Michigan and that's enough for me.
You don't have to like them to understand their success outside the conference benefits us

You want to pretend we don't need the Big Ten. We need the Big Ten far more than we need them.
To a degree I agree with your take, but OSU and Michigan doing well hurts us with recruiting as well as NIL. Yes a strong B10 looks good for us and the conference as a whole. I still can’t root for Michigan and OSU in the playoffs or a bowl game. I hate the B10 and the Big 2. The only time I rooted for either OSU or Michigan in a bowl game is the 2002 national championship game since I hate thugU and everything they represented.

Good idea, rooting for your primary competitors.
Like the B10 is going to collapse if they don't just dominate the world. Just weird. But no sense arguing the point any further, the guy has his mind made up. So be it.

To a degree I agree with your take, but OSU and Michigan doing well hurts us with recruiting as well as NIL. Yes a strong B10 looks good for us and the conference as a whole. I still can’t root for Michigan and OSU in the playoffs or a bowl game. I hate the B10 and the Big 2. The only time I rooted for either OSU or Michigan in a bowl game is the 2002 national championship game since I hate thugU and everything they represented.
But that's an old mentality. It's goes back to us being an Independent. We still have fans acting like it's the 80s.

You want to pretend we don't need the Big Ten. We need the Big Ten far more than we need us them.
Too late but if we were in the ACC, we would be Clemson.

Too late but if we were in the ACC, we would be Clemson.
No, we wouldn't
Surviving the scandal would have been infinitely worse
We'd have far less athletic programs as well
Pretending the Big Ten hasn't been great for us a whole is denial. Yes, they've done some incredibly wrong things especially related to Sandusky (for which I primarily blame our "leaders") but we need them.

That may be true, but the way PSU has been screwed by the B10 going back to 94’ and the calls we got f***ed over against OSU and Michigan over the years there’s no conference alliance.
That's not accepting reality
That's my point

No, we wouldn't
Surviving the scandal would have been infinitely
We'd have far less athletic programs as well
Pretending the Big Ten hasn't been great for us a whole is denial. Yes, they've done some incredibly wrong things especially related to Sandusky (for which I primarily blame our "leaders") but we need them.
It’s you who is in denial. We don’t “need“ them.
Are you really a PSU fan? I doubt it

It’s you who is in denial. We don’t “need“ them.
Are you really a PSU fan? I doubt it
Yes, the difference is I'm a college football fan that roots for Penn State (graduate and parents graduated as well) but most here seem to hate everything about college football and just root for Penn State
Pretending we don't need the Big Ten or that any team in the ACC wouldn't join in a heartbeat if they could is absurd. The SEC is the only conference even comparable to the Big Ten. USC & UCLA showed that.

Why is it terrifying what the fan base thinks or who they root for? We as a group have zero to do with it. What's mystifying to me is why anyone would think it beneficial to encourage our fans to root for teams we simply don't like, have never liked, and have been given every advantage over us both on the field and off.
Yep. What benefits the SEC is that they have multiple teams who win titles - not that they chant “SEC, SEC”. Their conference is very deep- much more deep than the Big Ten (and it’s not remotely close). The Big Ten is a weak conference full of average to lousy midwestern teams, (outside OSU, Michigan, PSU).

The SEC reputation is built on Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, etc winning titles. Multiple schools from that conference win it.

Since 2000-

The SEC has 13 titles by 5 teams.
-2021 Georgia,
-2020 Alabama,
-2019 LSU,
-2017 Alabama,
-2015 Alabama,
-2012 Alabama,
-2011 Alabama,
-2010 Auburn,
-2009 Alabama
-2008 Florida
-2007 LSU
-2006 Florida
-2003 LSU

The Big Ten has 2 titles by 1 team:
-2014 Ohio State
-2002 Ohio State

Last edited:
Reactions: WaylonJ
Yep. What benefits the SEC is that they have multiple teams who win titles - not that they chant “SEC, SEC”. Their conference is very deep- much more deep than the Big Ten (and it’s not remotely close). The Big Ten is a weak conference full of average to lousy midwestern teams.

The SEC reputation is built on Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, etc winning titles. Multiple schools from that conference win it.

Since 2000-

The SEC has 13 titles by 5 teams.
-2021 Georgia,
-2020 Alabama,
-2019 LSU,
-2017 Alabama,
-2015 Alabama,
-2012 Alabama,
-2011 Alabama,
-2010 Auburn,
-2009 Alabama
-2008 Florida
-2007 LSU
-2006 Florida
-2003 LSU

The Big Ten has 2 titles by 1 team:
-2014 Ohio State
-2002 Ohio State
Yes but SEC fans comprehend the importance of those teams winning titles not just their own. We clearly don't. At least on this board.

The SEC will always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playoff spots--when it expands to 12 we need that benefit as well

The difference is if LSU or Florida win the SEC, nobody jumps up and down proclaiming the SEC is "down" in a given year like they do when we happen to occasionally win the B10. And don't act like it doesn't happen that way because it does. I'm not rooting for us to perpetually be in third place in this conference at best because it's never going to garner any respect. We have to win every game. MSU even got in with a loss having lost to Nebraska (losing record) . That's never happening here.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
To me USC and TCU losing pitting OSU against Michigan in the playoff is worst case scenario for PSU. Can you imagine the hype of “the game” being played for a second time in a season for the first time ever? This can only help OSU and Michigan in recruiting, NIL, and with their brand. We were already likely headed to the Rose Bowl anyway and now we’re taking a big back seat to the big 2 again. I think OSU playing in the Orange and Michigan getting stomped by Georgia or getting upset by TCU was best case for us. The national media and specifically the BG10 network will be slobbering over those two. Puke!

Relax.... no one is going to remember the rematch when they get lit up like a Christmas Tree in the Championship.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Yes but SEC fans comprehend the importance of those teams winning titles not just their own. We clearly don't. At least on this board.

The SEC will always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playoff spots--when it expands to 12 we need that benefit as well

SEC fans are slackjaws much like you b1g lovers.

They get the benefit of the doubt because they actually win the championships.

The fact that Kentucky or Arkansas fans chant ‘SEC….SEC’ after finishing 7-5 in a meaningless bowl or brag on web sites that an SEC team (not theirs) won a title has no bearing on how the SEC is seen. If anything it’s mocked nationally.

If the Big Ten had a string of 13 national championships over the past 23 years where Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan State all won titles then the Big Ten would be getting the benefit of the doubt instead of the SEC.

Whether Joe from Minnesota roots for Ohio State to win or lose has no bearing on this. Not until the Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan State programs actually step up and win titles will any of this change.

The fact that Kentucky or Arkansas fans chant ‘SEC….SEC’ after finishing 7-5 in a meaningless bowl or brag on web sites that an SEC team (not theirs) won a title has no bearing on how the SEC is seen. If anything it’s mocked nationally.

If the Big Ten had a string of 13 national championships over the past 23 years where Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan State all won titles then the Big Ten would be getting the benefit of the doubt instead of the SEC.

Whether Joe from Minnesota roots for Ohio State to win or lose has no bearing on this. Not until the Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan State programs actually step up and win titles will any of this change.
All fair but not comprehend the Big Ten having success in non-conference game, especially in the playoff, is good for Penn State is a problem.

And if the big ten cared about putting teams in positions to win them they’d have 8 conference games, balanced divisions and everyone playing fcs schools in October and November. They wouldn’t have had a commissioner pulling strings against his own conference champion being included in the playoff.

Everyone in the sec rows the same direction.

Last edited:
Are you okay? I know Michigan and Ohio State going to the playoff and being a great thing for US is killing you

It’s not a great thing for us. A great thing for us would be teams like Wisconsin Maryland, Purdue msu and Iowa staying respectable top 25 programs.

Outside of one year with lsu (which was Joe Burrow and a perfect record, no help needed by sec reputation.) Georgia’s and bama’s success has been good for two sec programs during the cfp era, UGA and Bama as far as playoff trips and titles is concerned.

It’s bama people are trying to start arguing deserves a shot with two losses not UT.

Reactions: doctornick
If we could win the playoff we'd be rooting ofr us
Michigan and Ohio State losing in no way is beneficial to us
The fact our fan base still doesn't comprehend the importance of conference strength is terrifying. We haven't been an independent for a decade
The SEC is rooting for Georgia because they're not idiots.
We haven’t been a an independent for a decade?. 🧐

If Hooker was healthy and they were competitive at all against South Carolina it would be Tennessee.

But they aren’t. Argue reasoning however you want but in the cfp era the sec reputation has done nothing to lift anyone but those two schools. UF and Auburn are much worse off now than they were a decade ago.

But they aren’t. Argue reasoning however you want but in the cfp era the sec reputation has done nothing to lift anyone but those two schools. UF and Auburn are much worse off now than they were a decade ago.
But if Florida or Auburn were in the shoes of Alabama they'd be in great shape as well

Except they wouldn’t because they’d be behind Tennessee because (as you’ve argued) bama is there based on bama’s reputation.

Except they wouldn’t because they’d be behind Tennessee because (as you’ve argued) bama is there based on bama’s reputation.
Bama is there on reputation BUT if Hooker was healthy and Tennessee lost but wasn't embarrassed by South Carolina Tennessee would still be ahead of them

Bama is there on reputation BUT if Hooker was healthy and Tennessee lost but wasn't embarrassed by South Carolina Tennessee would still be ahead of them

But this and that. No shit if UT hadn’t lost they’d be in a better position.

During the CFP era who in the sec has actually benefited from UGA and Bama’s success besides UGA and bama? No hypotheticals.

But this and that. No shit if UT hadn’t lost they’d be in a better position.

During the CFP era who in the sec has actually benefited from UGA and Bama’s success besides UGA and bama? No hypotheticals.
Tennessee could have lost to South Carolina and been fine--it's how they lost
Georgia benefitted greatly from Bama's success.

it’s a ****ing shame all 4 teams selected can’t just be alabama.
In 2 years it can be all 12 teams
Honestly, if the objective is to get the "best 4 teams" is Bama ever not going go be included?
I want a 24 team playoff, like FCS, to see if teams like Alabama and Georgia can win 4 in a row against quality teams to win a title.
And again I think Penn State is better than TCU

The game is regional, I think there’s more interest in fresh matchups vs rematches. Not going to go back and look but I feel like when the sec has had two they put them on opposite sides of the bracket.

Sucks OSU is in regardless of who they play. Missing for two years would have been a nice weight for day and the team to carry all offseason.
Not to worry. If OSU loses to Michigan twice in a season, there'll be a lot of talk about getting rid of Day.

ADVERTISEMENT