ADVERTISEMENT

Worst case scenario for PSU

PSUNYGNYY

Jul 15, 2018
To me USC and TCU losing pitting OSU against Michigan in the playoff is worst case scenario for PSU. Can you imagine the hype of “the game” being played for a second time in a season for the first time ever? This can only help OSU and Michigan in recruiting, NIL, and with their brand. We were already likely headed to the Rose Bowl anyway and now we’re taking a big back seat to the big 2 again. I think OSU playing in the Orange and Michigan getting stomped by Georgia or getting upset by TCU was best case for us. The national media and specifically the BG10 network will be slobbering over those two. Puke!

Reactions: psu1969a and GSPMax
I think they’d avoid the rematch in the first round and make osu the 4 seed but we’ll see. Just wait for LSU to pull the upset and then all hell can really break loose.
I actually see the opposite. They’ll want a rematch of the game and have Bama and Georgia in the other game. As much as I’ll hate it, that’s probably the four best teams and those matchups will bring ridiculous ratings. BG10 vs. SEC for all the marbles is the matchup everyone will want.

Reactions: GregInPitt
To me USC and TCU losing pitting OSU against Michigan in the playoff is worst case scenario for PSU. Can you imagine the hype of “the game” being played for a second time in a season for the first time ever? This can only help OSU and Michigan in recruiting, NIL, and with their brand. We were already likely headed to the Rose Bowl anyway and now we’re taking a big back seat to the big 2 again. I think OSU playing in the Orange and Michigan getting stomped by Georgia or getting upset by TCU was best case for us. The national media and specifically the BG10 network will be slobbering over those two. Puke!
Ohio State is in so there's no need to talk about them in the Orange
In no way is the Big Ten doing badly in the playoff good for us

I actually see the opposite. They’ll want a rematch of the game and have Bama and Georgia in the other game. As much as I’ll hate it, that’s probably the four best teams and those matchups will bring ridiculous ratings. BG10 vs. SEC for all the marbles is the matchup everyone will want.

The game is regional, I think there’s more interest in fresh matchups vs rematches. Not going to go back and look but I feel like when the sec has had two they put them on opposite sides of the bracket.

Sucks OSU is in regardless of who they play. Missing for two years would have been a nice weight for day and the team to carry all offseason.

Respectfully disagree. Them rematching, can only lessen the value of the regular season game. And imagine if OSU wins, further devaluing the results of the first game. Frankly, the best thing that can happen is when the Big 10 gets rid of divisions. If "the game" remains at the end of the season and OSU and um replay it a week later in the championship, it will be a disaster, especially if they split the result. It will force the Big 10 to reconsider them playing the last game of the season which will necessarily devalue their position in the Big 10 over time.

Reactions: Hero17
I know OSU isn’t going to the Orange isn’t happening now, my point was the going to the Orange was better for us since we’re already playing in the Rose. I disagree that OSU and Michigan doing poorly in the playoffs isn’t good for us. I can see that it possibly makes our season look better, but the advantages for OSU and Michigan far outweigh ours for them looking great in the playoffs. OSU and Michigan play a game of the century in the playoffs and then the winner wins the Natty doesn’t seem to be good for us. Just my two cents.

Respectfully disagree. Them rematching, can only lessen the value of the regular season game. And imagine if OSU wins, further devaluing the results of the first game. Frankly, the best thing that can happen is when the Big 10 gets rid of divisions. If "the game" remains at the end of the season and OSU and um replay it a week later in the championship, it will be a disaster, especially if they split the result. It will force the Big 10 to reconsider them playing the last game of the season which will necessarily devalue their position in the Big 10 over time.

Will never happen. They would have rematched 3 or 4 times in the past 20 years for all the jerking off everyone does acting like it’s 1vs2 every season.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Those in charge of the Big will never see that game as devaluing anything regardless of the outcomes. They see the conference as those two teams only, end of story.

I know OSU isn’t going to the Orange isn’t happening now, my point was the going to the Orange was better for us since we’re already playing in the Rose. I disagree that OSU and Michigan doing poorly in the playoffs isn’t good for us. I can see that it possibly makes our season look better, but the advantages for OSU and Michigan far outweigh ours for them looking great in the playoffs. OSU and Michigan play a game of the century in the playoffs and then the winner wins the Natty doesn’t seem to be good for us. Just my two cents.
We can disagree but the Big Ten having success in the playoff is great for us just like the SEC root for each other.

No matter what ends up happening with this TCU game, they'll keep TCU at 3 to try to avoid an OSU/UM matchup in the first round of the playoffs.

Reactions: Mroad
The only way osu and Michigan will be playing against each other is in final game. TCU is staying at 3. Win or lose in ot doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Mroad and psuno1
No matter what ends up happening with this TCU game, they'll keep TCU at 3 to try to avoid an OSU/UM matchup in the first round of the playoffs.
I don't believe that for a second. They'll be rooting for LSU to win so they can drop them to 2.

This scenario would not be possible had coach Franklin won at least one of his games against the BIG 2.

Last edited:
This scenario would not be possible had coach Franklin won at least on his games against the BIG 2.

If he’d beaten Michigan we’d still be the odd man out unless you think the big could have gotten 3. Down year for college football but I don’t think we’re a top 4 team. Would have been fun to see what would have happened in a 12 team playoff. Soon enough I guess.

Ohio State doesn't deserve to be part of a "playoff". They didn't win the conference. Heck, they didn't win the division. Until there are specific criteria to get in, like winning your conference, it's not a playoff. It's an invitational.

Utah has WON the Pac 12 for 2 consecutive years and they won't even sniff the so called playoff. Ridiculous. Ohio State better than Utah? Who knows. At least Utah won something.

Eight highest ranked conference winners should feed an 8 team playoff. I don't care if the second place SEC team is thought to be better than the MAC winner. We know it's not better than the first place SEC team which would be in a real playoff.

Ohio State doesn't deserve to be part of a "playoff". They didn't win the conference.
As soon as you said this there was no longer a reason to read your post. Conference titles mean nothing unless all 10 get in.

You need a playoff of at least 20 likely 24
Name a sport in which only division (in college conference) champs make the playoffs.

Georgia, OSU, Michigan, and Bama are all in no matter what happens with the SEC and B10 championship.

Calm down, Sparky.

What's good for us is winning. Every game. Whatever else the big 10 does is as conference is completely irrelevant. So tired of this being trotted out every year. Excuse me if I hope Michigan and OSU both lose, starting tonight. I don't think it damages PSU one iota. I'll continue to root against the B10. This notion that we're somehow all in this together is ridiculous.

What's good for us is winning. Every game. Whatever else the big 10 does is as conference is completely irrelevant. So tired of this being trotted out every year. Excuse me if I hope Michigan and OSU both lose, starting tonight. I don't think it damages PSU one iota. I'll continue to root against the B10. This notion that we're somehow all in this together is ridiculous.
Agree. Realize PSU is in competition for recruits with all other teams in the Big10.

If we could win the playoff we'd be rooting ofr us
Michigan and Ohio State losing in no way is beneficial to us
The fact our fan base still doesn't comprehend the importance of conference strength is terrifying. We haven't been an independent for a decade
The SEC is rooting for Georgia because they're not idiots.

An OSU loss to Michigan is their worst nightmare, Buck fans will be in therapy for 8 months.

If Michigan loses it's you can't win in the playoffs two years in a row.

Can't hurt our recruiting.

The fact our fan base still doesn't comprehend the importance of conference strength is terrifying. We haven't been an independent for a decade
SEC is rooting for their fellow rednecks. PSU has nothing in common with the Midwest B10.

I’ll root for every Big Ten team when they play out of conference except Iowa. Their fans don’t deserve our support.

Georgia, OSU, Michigan, and Bama are all in no matter what happens with the SEC and B10 championship.
... and there's NO good scenario coming out of that. If I had to pick one of those four teams as the team I wanted to win the national championship, it would be Georgia. But I don't really like Georgia, either. I'm thinking of not watching any of the playoff games, and just focusing on the Rose Bowl and the other bowl games.

Reactions: KCLion
As soon as you said this there was no longer a reason to read your post. Conference titles mean nothing unless all 10 get in.

You need a playoff of at least 20 likely 24
Name a sport in which only division (in college conference) champs make the playoffs.
Wildcards exist for one reason and one reason only. Money. It has nothing to do with crowning a true champion. I'd love all 10 WINNERS and nobody else to get in. Until then it's still a mythical national champion.

Wildcards exist for one reason and one reason only. Money. It has nothing to do with crowning a true champion. I'd love all 10 WINNERS and nobody else to get in. Until then it's still a mythical national champion.
You need more than just 10
And yes money is a the driver for everything but pretending the best two teams can't be in the same conference is illogical.
The regular season is only about getting to the playoff.

The fact our fan base still doesn't comprehend the importance of conference strength is terrifying.
Why is it terrifying what the fan base thinks or who they root for? We as a group have zero to do with it. What's mystifying to me is why anyone would think it beneficial to encourage our fans to root for teams we simply don't like, have never liked, and have been given every advantage over us both on the field and off.

That's funny because when I was in Georgia this fall, all of the UGA fans thanked us for beating Auburn.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Why is it terrifying what the fan base thinks or who they root for? We as a group have zero to do with it. What's mystifying to me is why anyone would think it beneficial to encourage our fans to root for teams we simply don't like, have never liked, and have been given every advantage over us both on the field and off.
Because you're not grasping something as simple as a conference
You want to pretend we don't need the Big Ten. We need the Big Ten far more than we need them.

ADVERTISEMENT