ADVERTISEMENT

woodstock lineup revealed

Who cares about the music. I'm just happy for the opportunity to get naked in the mud with chicks.

I worked with a guy back in 2004 who loved the Black Keys. They had only been around a couple years and I had never heard of them at the time.

Dan Auerbach has some good solo stuff, too.

It sounds like they all want to hear interminable jams and noodling by nostalgia acts. The Grateful Dead in particular should have been strangled in adolescence so they couldn’t have produced any equally lame progeny

To each his own but Garcia/Hunter are arguably top 10 songwriting duos in Rock and roll history. You might not like crowd or the jam music but lyrics are brilliant, especially those who love drinking, shooting, women and gambling.

Reactions: odshowtime
Okay, I'm just gonna say it. You all are apparently old and lame...to be clear, I'm old and lame too, but apparently not as old and lame as all of you. Woodstock was a counter culture event and (using Sirius XM as a guide) this lineup is mostly bands you'd hear on their Alt Nation channel with a mix of old school that might have performed at woodstock in years past. This line up is stacked from top to bottom. Your oldness and lameness is not an "indication of how far music has fallen."

Agreed.

To each his own but Garcia/Hunter are arguably top 10 songwriting duos in Rock and roll history. You might not like crowd or the jam music but lyrics are brilliant, especially those who love drinking, shooting, women and gambling.

Agreed. Their music is being done today by many bands/artists that are bringing their own flair & arrangements to it, with a different vibe and energy. Dead and Co themselves are very, very good. Mayer is a great guitarist and has added a lot to the music.
Amazing how few jam bands are booked for this event. I'm very surprised that no one from ABB is on the bill. I have a feeling that all these bands were already booked and Lang was scrambling to get acts at the last minute.

Nah, not a big DB fan There are many other jambands I prefer. Trying to get out to Red Ricks to catch a show or two.
Saw Joe Russo’s Almost Dead Friday night. They are an intense and and worth seeing if you like Dead music.

The DBs are lame, sorry. Their fame is the result of too much ectasy/Molly in audience like the whole electronica craze. I did like a couple bootleg shows from 2002 timeframe where they shut up and played. Their voices are horrible even at jam band level. I saw them in NYC about 7 years ago and they brought a rapper on stage. Nearly walked out as combo was unbearable.

I'm not a Dead fan, and they certainly had a dedicated, if small, following, but you'd think that if they were "arguably [one of the] top 10 songwriting duos in Rock and roll history," the Dead would have had more than 1 top 10 hit. Hell, they only had 1 Top 50 hit and 6 Top 100 hits.

Looks like Day 2 is best but pretty much garbage lineup. Where is the rock and roll, particurlary jammy kind?Who could forget 10m Coming Home by 10 years After? Only bands I would pay to see:

*Dead and co with John Mayer (iconic music)
*The Black Keys (grew on me after the outstanding Chulahoma; old blues lovers might appreciate as songs by Junior Kimbrough
*David Crosby (iconic and still has his voice)
*Gary Clark Jr (a must for Hendrix lovers)
*Marcus King Band (power blues like Warren Haynes)
*Amy Helm (great on her own but holding down The Bands music)
*Jack White

Santana? Love him but sorry I saw him 4 years ago and he was stale and uninspiring.

Where is Buddy Guy (still great and legend) or Tedeschi Trucks? Phish can bring 50k themselves but I believe closing Bonnaroo already.

Bonnaroo is in June.

The DBs are lame, sorry. Their fame is the result of too much ectasy/Molly in audience like the whole electronica craze. I did like a couple bootleg shows from 2002 timeframe where they shut up and played. Their voices are horrible even at jam band level. I saw them in NYC about 7 years ago and they brought a rapper on stage. Nearly walked out as combo was unbearable.
Pretty ironic as the Dead’s fame is based largely on a tie in to mind-altering drugs themselves.

I'm not a Dead fan, and they certainly had a dedicated, if small, following, but you'd think that if they were "arguably [one of the] top 10 songwriting duos in Rock and roll history," the Dead would have had more than 1 top 10 hit. Hell, they only had 1 Top 50 hit and 6 Top 100 hits.

Firstly, they had far from a small following. And to this day the following isn't all that small.
Second, they didn't write the type of songs for AM/FM air play, so the radio coverage they had was limited. In fact, they didn't break thru on radio until 1978 with Touch of Grey. They then attracted a new set of fans, and those fans were unruly and didn't get the spirit of the Dead, they were there to party. I realize they aren't for everyone, but Garcia/Hunter have written many. many great songs. Add Weir/Barlow to that also.

No Nickelback, I’m out.
Ha! I remember being in B.C. north of Vancouver in 2015. For some reason, it seems like Canadians hate Nickelback. I don't really follow them, so I can't say I like or dislike them myself.

I saw Jade Bird as an opening act last year. My wife hates country music, but she was really impressed with Jade. It's nice to see the British singer get an invite to Woodstock.

Firstly, they had far from a small following. And to this day the following isn't all that small.
Second, they didn't write the type of songs for AM/FM air play, so the radio coverage they had was limited. In fact, they didn't break thru on radio until 1978 with Touch of Grey. They then attracted a new set of fans, and those fans were unruly and didn't get the spirit of the Dead, they were there to party. I realize they aren't for everyone, but Garcia/Hunter have written many. many great songs. Add Weir/Barlow to that also.

Touch of Grey was not until the 1987. It got heavy play on MTV.

But, they did got airplay on FM radio prior to that. As a matter of fact, if you grew up in the Philly area early 1980s, you got plenty of Dead from DJ Pierre Robert of WMMR 93.3.

Reactions: Relayer
Yeah I'm not sure where people are coming from saying that lineup sucks....far from it. There are some acts I would pass on, but there are a ton I would go see. I imagine some folks don't recognize some bands from the last 10-15 years and think they all suck minus listening to them.

Reactions: Kmase21 and BBrown
Touch of Grey was not until the 1987. It got heavy play on MTV.

But, they did got airplay on FM radio prior to that.

My bad, I reversed the numbers. I'm not saying they got no airplay, but they didn't care about radio. Their audience was the live audience.
Saw them in 79 and 80 in Rec Hall. Great, long shows.

Pretty ironic as the Dead’s fame is based largely on a tie in to mind-altering drugs themselves.

Perhaps. I am never going to argue scene. I have met many, many nice people at shows. I also get disgusted at the drugs people seem to ingest. While I am no saint, I am always shocked at heavy lsd, cocaine, ectasy, opiods, painkillers and god knows what else. These are older people too, alot in 30s and sometimes 40s. I am there for the music but the other stuff and behavior is what gives people bad opinion. You would be shocked at number of white collar, professional, wealthy and successful people that are Deadheads or Phishheads though. I recall managing director (big Swiss bank) was in my cubicle once reviewing budgets with me. Just as I was showing him email, my deadhead buddy sends email about next Dicks picks CD coming out. He says "nice, I am picking up my copy tomorrow". Another woman, a couple months back was finance program manager, about 50, and decided to take a sabbatical break to follow jam bands around with hubby. She was about as straight-laced as you could appear. Just saying it is not all "what up braah" dreadlocked, spaced out hippies.

Bob Dylan had two top 10 whole career. No number 1s. Greatest songwriter ever by most. Not way to judge.

Perhaps. I am never going to argue scene. I have met many, many nice people at shows. I also get disgusted at the drugs people seem to ingest. While I am no saint, I am always shocked at heavy lsd, cocaine, ectasy, opiods, painkillers and god knows what else. These are older people too, alot in 30s and sometimes 40s. I am there for the music but the other stuff and behavior is what gives people bad opinion. You would be shocked at number of white collar, professional, wealthy and successful people that are Deadheads or Phishheads though. I recall managing director (big Swiss bank) was in my cubicle once reviewing budgets with me. Just as I was showing him email, my deadhead buddy sends email about next Dicks picks CD coming out. He says "nice, I am picking up my copy tomorrow". Another woman, a couple months back was finance program manager, about 50, and decided to take a sabbatical break to follow jam bands around with hubby. She was about as straight-laced as you could appear. Just saying it is not all "what up braah" dreadlocked, spaced out hippies.
Just went to "Playing in the Sand" in January. Dead and Co shows on the Maya Rivera in Mexico. Weds through Sun all inclusive at the Barcelo Maya resort with 3 shows on the beach by Dead and Co. Shows were great. But pretty much everyone there was a white collar professional empty nester who had enough disposable income so they could afford air fare to Mexico and 5 nights at an all inclusive and tickets to the show (and/ or their 20 something children). Running conversation was first show and pretty much everybody first show was early mid 70s on the east coast. And these were doctors, lawyers, business owners, engineers, successful people. Very mellow and laid back atmosphere all around. And did I mention the shows were great? Everyone there for the music and camaraderie with like minded Dead heads. And really not any "stuff" or "scene" on display......

Agree with all you say. I know many white collar professionals (self included) that are into one or both of those bands. And yes, I am not happy with a lot of that scene either, but guess after 40 years I'm used to it.

Was at Joe Russo's Almost Dead the other night. Could not believe the amt of people tripping there.

Just went to "Playing in the Sand" in January. Dead and Co shows on the Maya Rivera in Mexico. Weds through Sun all inclusive at the Barcelo Maya resort with 3 shows on the beach by Dead and Co. Shows were great. But pretty much everyone there was a white collar professional empty nester who had enough disposable income so they could afford air fare to Mexico and 5 nights at an all inclusive and tickets to the show (and/ or their 20 something children). Running conversation was first show and pretty much everybody first show was early mid 70s on the east coast. And these were doctors, lawyers, business owners, engineers, successful people. Very mellow and laid back atmosphere all around. And did I mention the shows were great? Everyone there for the music and camaraderie with like minded Dead heads. And really not any "stuff" or "scene" on display......

Same vibe at Fare Thee Well in 2015. People from all over who had to afford the airfare to get there. The days of begging from one show to another are gone. At $150 per ticket, the only people who can afford them are people with good incomes

Parents of baby boomers in the 60's: This new music today is garbage. It doesn't compare to what we grew up listening to.

Baby boomers today: This new music today is garbage. It doesn't compare to what we grew up listening to.
I mean really... where is the younger generations going to get music like this....

Reactions: Grant Green
Yeah I'm not sure where people are coming from saying that lineup sucks....far from it. There are some acts I would pass on, but there are a ton I would go see. I imagine some folks don't recognize some bands from the last 10-15 years and think they all suck minus listening to them.

Agree I like a lot of the bands listed...
The Killers
Lumineers
Raconteurs (Jack White from White Stripes)
Nathaniel Rateliff
The Black Keys
Portugal.The Man
Leon Bridges
Gary Clark Jr
Edward Sharpe and the Magnificent Zeros
Imagine Dragons
Cage the Elephant
Brandi Carlisle
Courtney Barnett

Agree with all you say. I know many white collar professionals (self included) that are into one or both of those bands. And yes, I am not happy with a lot of that scene either, but guess after 40 years I'm used to it.

Was at Joe Russo's Almost Dead the other night. Could not believe the amt of people tripping there.

Ann Coulter is a proud Dead head (not that I care for the garbage she spews). Just saying we are everywhere. Sad to say I live 30 m from Capitol theatre but have yet to catch JRAD. Two young kids so tough. I love their sound though. I was thinking about Mohegan shows but really want outdoors. Probably Fenway for me..

Agree I like a lot of the bands listed...
The Killers
Lumineers
Raconteurs (Jack White from White Stripes)
Nathaniel Rateliff
The Black Keys
Portugal.The Man
Leon Bridges
Gary Clark Jr
Edward Sharpe and the Magnificent Zeros
Imagine Dragons
Cage the Elephant
Brandi Carlisle
Courtney Barnett

Exactly...I looked at the first 2 days and said WTF are these people talking about? Jack White is BAD man and so are Gary Clark and Leon Bridges. I never turn off Nathaniel Rateliff when he pops up. Then you throw in Santana, Fogerty, Crosby, and the Dead and Company...yeah I'd go. I mean I've lived in NOLA for such a long time and still make it back for Jazz Fest every other year or so. This year if I go I'll go the first weekend since it is the 50th and I have no desire to see the sh!t show that will be the day of the Stones playing there. I'd rather to go an outdoor stadium to see them rather than watch a ton of people fall out in 90 degree heat. I don't even bother to really look at a schedule anymore as I know I can find music I like there. Some people stopped moving forward once the tapes were gone so they think everything is sh!t. I don't know a single person who has seen Jack White live and said...well that sucked. Although I'm sure someone here could find a reason to hate him. LOL

Reactions: BBrown
Exactly...I looked at the first 2 days and said WTF are these people talking about? Jack White is BAD man and so are Gary Clark and Leon Bridges. I never turn off Nathaniel Rateliff when he pops up. Then you throw in Santana, Fogerty, Crosby, and the Dead and Company...yeah I'd go. I mean I've lived in NOLA for such a long time and still make it back for Jazz Fest every other year or so. This year if I go I'll go the first weekend since it is the 50th and I have no desire to see the sh!t show that will be the day of the Stones playing there. I'd rather to go an outdoor stadium to see them rather than watch a ton of people fall out in 90 degree heat. I don't even bother to really look at a schedule anymore as I know I can find music I like there. Some people stopped moving forward once the tapes were gone so they think everything is sh!t. I don't know a single person who has seen Jack White live and said...well that sucked. Although I'm sure someone here could find a reason to hate him. LOL

I'm a big Black Keys fan.
Did Patrick Carney and Jack White make up? I know they hated each other at one time. LOL
I'm just now getting into Gary Clark but really like his style and have been a Leon Bridges fan for a while.
And despite the Championship halftime show I like Imagine Dragons.
It would be a blast to see Imagine Dragons and Gary Clark performing together.

Ann Coulter is a proud Dead head (not that I care for the garbage she spews). Just saying we are everywhere. Sad to say I live 30 m from Capitol theatre but have yet to catch JRAD. Two young kids so tough. I love their sound though. I was thinking about Mohegan shows but really want outdoors. Probably Fenway for me..

So you just missed Phil too at the Cap. JRAD is really worth seeing. It was an intense show from start to end

I'm a big Black Keys fan.
Did Patrick Carney and Jack White make up? I know they hated each other at one time. LOL
I'm just now getting into Gary Clark but really like his style and have been a Leon Bridges fan for a while.
And despite the Championship halftime show I like Imagine Dragons.
It would be a blast to see Imagine Dragons and Gary Clark performing together.

Gary Clark Jr. is fantastic in concert, and “Gary Clark Live” is a great album.

Some really good bands/talent out there now.

Reactions: BBrown
Gary Clark Jr. is fantastic in concert, and “Gary Clark Live” is a great album.

Some really good bands/talent out there now.

I agree you just got to find them, fortunately its not that hard the internet and Itune, Tunein Radio and Pandora are awesome for finding new music that fits your style or gives you an overview of everything thats being done right now.
There's an excellent college station WTMD here in Balto and they just play some great music. Its kind of like PBS where its publicly supported.
They also broadcast over the internet.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Who cares about the music. I'm just happy for the opportunity to get naked in the mud with chicks.
0jCb9ib.png

Reactions: psuken
Too bad Robert Plant isn't playing with a couple of his former band mates from the 70's.

What made music great in the 60's and 70's was the lack of technology. No computers or video games to consume one's life, their entertainment was formed by hanging out in someone's garage until a thousand different musical notes turned into a great song and eventually an album.

Cherish the classic rock my friends, it will never be duplicated.

I agree you just got to find them, fortunately its not that hard the internet and Itune, Tunein Radio and Pandora are awesome for finding new music that fits your style or gives you an overview of everything thats being done right now.
There's an excellent college station WTMD here in Balto and they just play some great music. Its kind of like PBS where its publicly supported.
They also broadcast over the internet.
No doubt. Every summer I slip back into my beach/boat Tribal Seeds, Slightly Stoopid, Rebulution, Stick Figure/ new school reggae playlists. Lots of great newer music available.

Reactions: AldenT
ADVERTISEMENT