ADVERTISEMENT

Women's LAX, down 5-9 at the half to Stanford ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
PSU women's LAX team is an excellent team. They've had the misfortune of losing 3 1-goal games to top 10-15 teams this year, the toughest being a loss to UVA where the winning goal was scored by UVA in the last 4 seconds.

Seems as though PSU is losing too many draws, though I didn't see the entire 1st half, so I'm not sure if that really is the case.

Tom

This post was edited on 3/24 5:04 PM by Tom McAndrew

Heckuva nice late comeback by the gals 17-15 final for PSU. ***

nfm

cut it to 13-14 with 6 min to go ...

and then promptly lost the draw and got scored upon.

PSU then won the draw and scored, to bring it back to within 1.

They won the next draw, with about 4 minutes to go, and went down to tie it up 15-15, with under 3 to play.

PSU won the next draw, and then quickly scored off of a free position (or they passed off of a free position and scored; couldn't tell), to take their 1st lead of the game, 16-15. It must have been a pass and score, as Maggie McCormick set PSU's career record on the play. Stanford took a TO, so there is 2:21 left to play.

PSU won the next draw as well. They spread things out, which is kind of common with the lead and under 2 to play, but also a long time to hold onto the ball. PSU went ahead by 2, 17-15, with 58 sec left. Looked to be McCormick with another assist off of a stoppage.

Stanford won the next draw. PSU got called for a block, which could have easily been a Stanford charge. PSU's goalie made the save off of the free position, and the clear was good. PSU ran out the clock, and got a great, come-from-behind victory against a top 10 team!

Hack's GF had a very nice game, with several goals.

Way to go, Penn State!

Tom

Flag Tom. I'll pick it up for you.

screen-shot-2015-03-03-at-9-11-52-am.jpg

I debated posting a pic ...

but since I didn't make any claims about her, I decided it was iffy whether a pic was required. plus, I do try to appreciate female student athletes for their accomplishments in the classroom and on the field/court/track/etc., as opposed to their looks.

having said all that, I am a male, so perhaps I made the wrong decision on not posting a pic, and a flag should have been thrown.

FWIW, I chatted with Tatum on Sunday, after PSU's game against Drexel. Your pic is very good, but I think she's better looking in person, and she seemed to be a really nice person.

Tom

I agree - better looking in person

She's a broadcasting and communications major. Interned at ESPN last summer. There's a couple videos of her on the internet doing her broadcasting stuff. Let me dig one up.

Tatum Coffey demo reel

as long as we are hyping her accomplishments off the field. Hit the link.

This post was edited on 3/24 6:40 PM by UncleLar

Tatum Demo

good stuff, UncleLar ...

Tatum does a nice job in the demo reel.

I'm not surprised -- in my conversation with her on Sunday I was struck by the lack of "ugh huh," "you know," and other type of filler phrases that sound bad on broadcasts.

Thanks for posting.

Tom

To be fair and balanced, she's pretty good in the classroom too

Just Sunday she was awarded the John Oswald Award for outstanding senior leadership,

She also was previously named a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar.

This post was edited on 3/24 6:46 PM by UncleLar

John Oswald Award

ADVERTISEMENT