ADVERTISEMENT

Woah, stay out of our elk inhabited counties!

Sort of on topic, but has anybody else noticed an explosion of wildlife this year? Deer in my area are as common as squirrels. I have never seen more buck in the neighborhoods. Prior to this year, I may have seen 2 fox in my lifetime. I see 2 or 3 every week now.

Sort of on topic, but has anybody else noticed an explosion of wildlife this year? Deer in my area are as common as squirrels. I have never seen more buck in the neighborhoods. Prior to thisyear, I may have seen 2 fox in my lifetime. I see 2 or 3 every week now.

Yes it is amazing. Especially the deer population. Not good considering the amount of Lyme's cases.

Also in Ocean City on Wednesday I was fishing in the canal off of the vacation home deck and suddenly there is a huge 8 point buck walking by in the water. It had to have fallen in but it was moving so quick I couldn't even run to get my camera. It was actually my dad that first had spotted it. It was surreal. Maybe that is his morning excercise for all I know.

Sort of on topic, but has anybody else noticed an explosion of wildlife this year? Deer in my area are as common as squirrels. I have never seen more buck in the neighborhoods. Prior to this year, I may have seen 2 fox in my lifetime. I see 2 or 3 every week now.
Most of the northeast had a very mild winter last year, except for Maine. That affects the mortality rate ,especially deer.

it does make you wonder what a dying Elk would think about. I sure will miss the taste of juniper berries in the spring ,.. what will be my legacy? I have sired 72 bull elk, most of them are worthless dolts though..... (looking up at the stars)... is there an Elk heaven and do I get in ... I was kind of a worthless cad to some of my Elk girlfriends in my younger days, never around to help raise the youngsters.... (feeling pain from wounded hind quarters) I really hate that human piece of s--- who arrowed me, this hurts a LOT, if perchance I see him again I'm going to take my best shot. ....

Poor thing out there all night probably thinking it was only a matter of time before a pack of wolves ate him alive.

In my area, deer have only one predator: automobiles. Consequently they roam free in our neighborhoods eating whatever they damn well please (my yard and garden are their salad bar).

Reactions: brupsu
I honestly have no sympathy for the hunter, just as I have no sympathy for matadors that are injured or killed during bullfights. If you want to kill something for sport, you have to accept the risks, even though a hunter with a bow or rifle has an overwhelming advantage.

I honestly have no sympathy for the hunter, just as I have no sympathy for matadors that are injured or killed during bullfights. If you want to kill something for sport, you have to accept the risks, even though a hunter with a bow or rifle has an overwhelming advantage.
You have a point about accepting risk.

But having no sympathy? He is still a human being for Pete’s sake!

Reactions: Hotshoe
Last week I hit a coyote while driving to work around 5 AM. That afternoon on the way home I hit a turkey vulture that was feeding off its carcass. I did my good dead for the day, although I think the vulture may have survived.

Ever hear of wildlife conservation and the meaning behind it.

Reactions: step.eng69
That's because you have no balls, and it has messed up your thinking. To have no sympathy for another human being being killed by an animal is not normal. The comparison of a hunter to a bullfighter is not accurate. No ethical hunter is going to torture an animal. Every hunter tries to make a good shot so the animal dies quickly, you know, like the steer and chickens you eat, well probably not you, I'm sure you just eat veggies, at least I hope so, otherwise you are just a hypocrite. I don't care for bullfighting but I don't wish the bullfighter to be killed.

That's because you have no balls, and it has messed up your thinking. To have no sympathy for another human being being killed by an animal is not normal. The comparison of a hunter to a bullfighter is not accurate. No ethical hunter is going to torture an animal. Every hunter tries to make a good shot so the animal dies quickly, you know, like the steer and chickens you eat, well probably not you, I'm sure you just eat veggies, at least I hope so, otherwise you are just a hypocrite. I don't care for bullfighting but I don't wish the bullfighter to be killed.

What balls does it take to kill an animal with a bow or gun? I've never shot at anything that couldn't shoot back. So, tell me about balls again.

In September of 82, I was sent to Calgary to do a joint venture audit for Marathon Oil for some joint venture drilling projects where Mobil was in charge. So we owned a minority interest and were due a share of the revenue and had to pay a share of the expenses.
Every 2 years we went up and audited their accounting for our interest. I was up there for 5 weeks, working with a group of other auditors (all Canadians) to find out whether (actually, how badly) Mobil was screwing us.

On the weekends, the other guys went home. I figured out that I could check out of my city hotel and go up to the ski country a couple hours outside of town, get an actually cheaper hotel, and hike in the mountains.

One weekend I was up in Banff and had breakfast at the Banff Springs golf course. Then I decided to take a stroll along the course to see if I could get a picture of some of the elk that were bugling everywhere. Pretty soon I spotted a bunch of cows and youngsters in a fairway. I tried walk along the fairway, but they did that thing where they kept their distance from me, moving just as much as I did then grazing again. So, I slipped into the woods alongside the fair way, and began to close the distance without them noticing me. I got to where I was only 50 yds or so from them, and was focusing the camera for some shots, when about 30 feet behind me, a 6x6 bull elk bugled.

If you have heard the noise, you know it is other-worldly. I almost screamed, then turned around to see that smug SOB lying on the ground staring at me. 6x6. Got some good pics of him once I stopped shaking. Then I walked quickly back to the car. There is NFW I would shoot one of those things with a bow.

What balls does it take to kill an animal with a bow or gun? I've never shot at anything that couldn't shoot back. So, tell me about balls again.
Well, I have, and still have lead in me from May 70 on Shakey's Hill in Cambodia! So I must ask for your permission, may I climb trees with my Mathews?

Poor thing out there all night probably thinking it was only a matter of time before a pack of wolves ate him alive.
And then the police went back and killed it? Why? It sure as heck wasn't the elk's fault that it killed this dude (as tragic as it was).

Last edited:
In my area, deer have only one predator: automobiles. Consequently they roam free in our neighborhoods eating whatever they damn well please (my yard and garden are their salad bar).
That's very nice of you for providing them with a great diet ;-)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT