ADVERTISEMENT

WNO Thread

The star of the night IMO was Gallagher, total domination, very impressive, the buckeyes have a super stud there.

Thinking we are still in the running for both Valencia and Figs is great. I didn't see the Figs match coming, he usually tears apart everyone he faces. I had to look away when he took on Stevo a few months back.

I think several guys just haven't been getting great training due to Covid, and we're rusty as a result. How good will any of these guys be after Cael gets to work with them? I love Facundo even though he isn't dominating. Tons of talent and unlimited potential.
Gallagher is good, but Mastro was way undersized. I was actually most impressed with Feldman, Chittum, Ayala, and Valencia—though I’m not at all ashamed of Facundo.

Lots of 19 year old seniors. Get over it. Send your kids to school later or sit them against the older kids if you’re worried about it. It’s also a commitment to hold your kid back if you choose to. As long as they are eligible who cares?
Nothing to get over - you just have to adjust for advanced maturity. For example (not Chittum) announcers will go apeshit over some kid saying something like “he’s just a freshman” when the fact is that he’s almost 17 beating up 14 year olds. Much more impressive if the freshman is 14 or so.

In Texas they hold kids back like crazy for football and then wonder why many seem to peak early in college - well, no shit.

Why is he that old?

Because he was born 18 years ago.....that's kinda how it works :) Just kidding.....he is actually just 17......something about being held back ...connected to being out of the country for a time. He looked good no matter the age
PS: Congrats to FLO......nice card....well done......definitely worth the 12.99/month* :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Because he was born 18 years ago.....that's kinda how it works :) Just kidding.....he is actually just 17......something about being held back ...connected to being out of the country for a time. He looked good no matter the age
PS: Congrats to FLO......nice card....well done......definitely worth the 12.99/month* :)
Yep, even if you just look at him like he's a junior, he looks like a monster. Great mix of physicality and pace with the technical skills to match. Would look much better in black and gold than blue and white in my humble opinion.

Below are all of Facundo's non-bonus matches this year:
- 3-1 SV loss to Gallagher
- 9-3 over Gilcher (MI 160 state champ, headed to Indiana)
- 11-4 over Rojas (MI 189 state champ, top 20 recruit in 2022)
- DQ loss to Rojas
- 11-8 over Hernandez (OH state finalist headed to Penn)

In the Rojas DQ loss, Facundo was up 5-1 with 0:56 left in the 2nd. Would've been 7-1 if the double had been ruled a takedown instead of a slam.

In 2019 he had 2 non-bonus matches -- one of them against some Austin Boone guy, the other a 9-3 win in the state finals.

This doesn't seem like someone with "limited offense" at this stage of his career.

Facundo looked small compared to Valencia. What is the weight class projection for both in college?

Below are all of Facundo's non-bonus matches this year:
- 3-1 SV loss to Gallagher
- 9-3 over Gilcher (MI 160 state champ, headed to Indiana)
- 11-4 over Rojas (MI 189 state champ, top 20 recruit in 2022)
- DQ loss to Rojas
- 11-8 over Hernandez (OH state finalist headed to Penn)

In the Rojas DQ loss, Facundo was up 5-1 with 0:56 left in the 2nd. Would've been 7-1 if the double had been ruled a takedown instead of a slam.

In 2019 he had 2 non-bonus matches -- one of them against some Austin Boone guy, the other a 9-3 win in the state finals.

This doesn't seem like someone with "limited offense" at this stage of his career.
I don't think many people are going to be all that impressed that Facundo bonuses high schoolers in the state of Michigan. In his biggest matches over the last couple years, he's won mostly with stingy wrestling.

I think the larger "issue" is that after his impressive WNO performance against Balmeceda as a sophomore, most thought he was going to develop into a transcendent talent who destroys everyone. He hasn't. He looks to be about as good as he was then. Off the top of my head, he's been beaten by the best 3 guys he's wrestled since then (Kennedy, Gallagher, and Mastro, though he did win the series against him). He was fortunate to win against Valencia last night, who has yet to win a state title.

I think he'll do good things for you guys, but right now, I don't see him as the can't miss guy I once thought. Good news is he's going to a great room to develop offense (look at Starocci).

Reactions: tewlepz
I don't think many people are going to be all that impressed that Facundo bonuses high schoolers in the state of Michigan. In his biggest matches over the last couple years, he's won mostly with stingy wrestling.

I think the larger "issue" is that after his impressive WNO performance against Balmeceda as a sophomore, most thought he was going to develop into a transcendent talent who destroys everyone. He hasn't. He looks to be about as good as he was then. Off the top of my head, he's been beaten by the best 3 guys he's wrestled since then (Kennedy, Gallagher, and Mastro, though he did win the series against him). He was fortunate to win against Valencia last night, who has yet to win a state title.

I think he'll do good things for you guys, but right now, I don't see him as the can't miss guy I once thought. Good news is he's going to a great room to develop offense (look at Starocci).
Speaking of Balmaceda he's not on Okie St roster anymore

Nothing to get over - you just have to adjust for advanced maturity. For example (not Chittum) announcers will go apeshit over some kid saying something like “he’s just a freshman” when the fact is that he’s almost 17 beating up 14 year olds. Much more impressive if the freshman is 14 or so.

In Texas they hold kids back like crazy for football and then wonder why many seem to peak early in college - well, no shit.
Major League Baseball takes into account the players age for the draft. Much better to be a 17 year old putting up big numbers in high school than an 18 year old.

Chittum is actually 17. Pyles botched it and had to make a correction later in the broadcast. Referenced being out of the country caused him to be held back a year. Military kid maybe?

Chittum is actually 17. Pyles botched it and had to make a correction later in the broadcast. Referenced being out of the country caused him to be held back a year. Military kid maybe?
He will be 18 in March of his sophomore year, so still a little nuts.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
The star of the night IMO was Gallagher, total domination, very impressive, the buckeyes have a super stud there.

Well, it didn't hurt that he got away with slamming his opponent's head into the mat. I believe pro wrestling calls that a "piledriver". I don't think we got a fair look at Mastro, who seemed, at a minimum, to get a pinched nerve from the slam.

Henson wrestles the new “Iowa style” - counter shots at neutral, no top game, uses out of bounds, prefers low scoring bouts
Someone hasn't seen Henson wrestle. He's a volume shooter. Correct on the mat game.

Also, isn't that the old "Iowa style?" Their current team is pretty dynamic.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Yeah, that's about 2 years older than most sophomores (even "old" kids for their class), indicating someone that was held back twice. Maybe there is good reason for that, but a kid turning 18 your sophomore year in high school is, uh, quite unusual.

CanineCaringBrocketdeer-small.gif

(Requisite Billy Madison reference)

Most people were Taylor. Jesus, does he feel special now? A world champ tweeting about a freakin hs kids age is not funny at all.

An 18 year old sophmore is crazy tho but he must be graduating at least by next year because you can't compete in hs at 20.
I am understanding you to believe he needs to graduate by a certain date because his HS would expire otherwise? Tail. Wag. Dog.

Someone hasn't seen Henson wrestle. He's a volume shooter. Correct on the mat game.

Also, isn't that the old "Iowa style?" Their current team is pretty dynamic.
Lots of 3-1,4-3 type matches at the post season tournaments last year. Other than Lee and Eirman (assuming he is on the team) pretty vanilla lineup IMO. Better than the 2010’s though. Of course Desanto’s emotions can be dynamic at times.

18 in 10th grade. Roberto Duran is not impressed. From an old SI article.
He was less accomplished as a student. Practicing the overhand right was not part of the curriculum in his elementary school. "I remember in school one day, a kid came over to hit me and I moved. We exchanged positions, so his back was toward the steps. I hit him and he fell backward down the steps. And they threw me out." That was in third grade; he was 13. Duran never went back.

Different people have different circumstances. God bless Chittum.

Weighing less than 98 lbs as a 15 turning 16-year old sophomore, sure, any HS athletic career I might've had may've benefited from a grey shirt year or two before kindergarten. Alas, being born into a family with 8 children and having 3 younger siblings, my parents likely had more pressing priorities. I imagine preservation of Mom's sanity by enrolling the children at the earliest possible age was a fairly high one.

I'll trust that guy with the shaved head with determining who fits in State College and who does not. At least until he goes on a dry run that lasts as long as the one in Iowa City. (or god forbid as long as the one in The Twin Cities!)

My vote for "worst post of the year" from any board comes from the Rutgers board about Hamilton's performance at 285 on Saturday night:

"Racpack

"Looked at of shape and lacked heart. Not impressive tonight. Hope it was Coronavirus related."

To be fair, a few people called him out or gave his post a thumbs down.

Lots of 3-1,4-3 type matches at the post season tournaments last year. Other than Lee and Eirman (assuming he is on the team) pretty vanilla lineup IMO. Better than the 2010’s though. Of course Desanto’s emotions can be dynamic at times.

Bonus points at the Big 10 tournament (a count by hand, so they may be some slight errors):

Iowa = 26.5
Nebraska = 22
Ohio State = 13
Penn State = 11.5

Reactions: sstark46
In PIAA you can be 19 up until June or July 1 your sr year.
I have no problem with pointing out kids ages but hate the complaining like no wonder he won he’s older, if both kids are eligible I don’t get the complaining. If they are both eligible for HS I’m fine with it. Also have no problem pointing out transfers on good teams. Not going to harp on it if they’re eligible but gonna point it out. Like you can point it out if they’re older but don’t say it isn’t fair.
The big thing nowadays is hold back in 8th grade. Like Gibson wrestled 7th then sat out a year then wrestled 8th. Now he’s a 9th grader.

ADVERTISEMENT