ADVERTISEMENT

With the Benefit of Hindsight - Ziegler's new documentary podcast on scandal to start in 2021

francofan

Oct 26, 2015
John Ziegler gave a Penn State update in his end of the year, World according to Zig podcast. The segment starts just after the 3 minute mark and goes on for about 6 minutes.

The big news is that John is going start a new documentary podcast concerning the Penn State/Joe Paterno/Jerry Sandusky scandal entitled "With the Benefit of Hindsight." John stated that both a producer and a director have been involved in the project, that he and a Los Angeles TV news personality have been taping 4-5 hours of material every weekend and they have a total of 55-60 hours of heavily produced material from the studio. John does not know the exact start date for the podcast, but expects that it will happen in the beginning of 2021, possibly in February.

John states the podcast is extraordinary, unprecedented and truly amazing and that the podcast series will tell the real story of the entire scandal, so if you have an open mind and are interested in the subject you should listen to the podcast when it comes out. He further states that as far as he knows, the podcast is unprecedented in the history of podcasts in that they are taking a contrarian perspective. He also stated that the podcast provides him an opportunity to share his experiences and the evidence he has collected along the way from the last 10 years. He says the podcasts will blow your mind regardless of your current beliefs. That you don't need to be that interested in the story itself because the real story is a story about humanity and that the real story is so much more interesting that the mythology that the media created.

John Ziegler gave a Penn State update in his end of the year, World according to Zig podcast. The segment starts just after the 3 minute mark and goes on for about 6 minutes.

The big news is that John is going start a new documentary podcast concerning the Penn State/Joe Paterno/Jerry Sandusky scandal entitled "With the Benefit of Hindsight." John stated that both a producer and a director have been involved in the project, that he and a Los Angeles TV news personality have been taping 4-5 hours of material every weekend and they have a total of 55-60 hours of heavily produced material from the studio. John does not know the exact start date for the podcast, but expects that it will happen in the beginning of 2021, possibly in February.

John states the podcast is extraordinary, unprecedented and truly amazing and that the podcast series will tell the real story of the entire scandal, so if you have an open mind and are interested in the subject you should listen to the podcast when it comes out. He further states that as far as he knows, the podcast is unprecedented in the history of podcasts in that they are taking a contrarian perspective. He also stated that the podcast provides him an opportunity to share his experiences and the evidence he has collected along the way from the last 10 years. He says the podcasts will blow your mind regardless of your current beliefs. That you don't need to be that interested in the story itself because the real story is a story about humanity and that the real story is so much more interesting that the mythology that the media created.

My son’s freshman year at college he wrote a paper on how Joe Paterno was wrongfully accused in this scandal. He found Ziegler’s contact information and reached out to him for details. Ziegler actually called my son, who said it was quite the conversation.
😃

OL

My son’s freshman year at college he wrote a paper on how Joe Paterno was wrongfully accused in this scandal. He found Ziegler’s contact information and reached out to him for details. Ziegler actually called my son, who said it was quite the conversation.
😃

OL

How was your son's paper received by his instructor?

Reactions: bhill29
How was your son's paper received by his instructor?
Directly from my son’s text answering your question.
She thought the paper idea was pretty cool and unique and she absolutely loved (and was somewhat surprised with) my sources. She seemed really interested and intrigued with the content of the paper too.

Edit: @francofan - we became personal friends with a coach at Penn State from @1996 until the change over. Actually stayed at this friend’s house with his family when attending games, clinics and BW weekends. He was a source also.

I know it made dad smile. He was pretty jacked that Ziegler actually called him.

OL

Last edited:
I made a concept album on the case called “Assumed Guilty”, it uses audio from John on the first and last track. When I sent it to him he called me and we had a great conversation. John is a real down to earth no BS truth teller, very rare in today’s world.

Reactions: indynittany
So what new info has been discovered?

A lot of new information has come out. Most recently the McChesney diary has been discovered that demonstrates that the OAG and the Freeh Group colluded, that the OAG had leaked grand jury information to the Freeh Group, and that juror tampering had occured.

Another key piece of information that has come out is that lead prosecutor Frank Fina has been sanctioned in the form of losing his license to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania for a year and a day on account of his conduct in the case.

In addition, the report on the federal investigation that was conducted by NCIS special agent John Snedden to consider whether Graham Spanier's top-level security clearance should be renewed was discovered in the form of a 110 page redacted document, The report concluded that Mike McQueary was not a credible witness and that there was little, if any, evidence of any sexual assault.

Another key piece of information that has come out is that the infamous Mike McQueary shower incident occurred on Dec. 29, 2000 and not on Feb, 9, 2001 as stated at trial or on March 1, 2002 as stated in the grand jury presentment.

In addition, an email that Mike McQueary sent to Jonelle Eschbach right after the Nov. 2011 grand jury presentment came out where McQueary complained to Eschbach that she twisted his words in the GJP when she claimed he had witnessed an anal rape.

There is much more information that has come out. I refer you to Mark Pendergrast's book "The Most Hated Man in America: Jerry Sandusky and the Rush to Judgment" and the Penn State chapter in Malcolm Gladwell's book "Talking to Strangers."

A lot of new information has come out. Most recently the McChesney diary has been discovered that demonstrates that the OAG and the Freeh Group colluded, that the OAG had leaked grand jury information to the Freeh Group, and that juror tampering had occured.

Another key piece of information that has come out is that lead prosecutor Frank Fina has been sanctioned in the form of losing his license to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania for a year and a day on account of his conduct in the case.

In addition, the report on the federal investigation that was conducted by NCIS special agent John Snedden to consider whether Graham Spanier's top-level security clearance should be renewed was discovered in the form of a 110 page redacted document, The report concluded that Mike McQueary was not a credible witness and that there was little, if any, evidence of any sexual assault.

Another key piece of information that has come out is that the infamous Mike McQueary shower incident occurred on Dec. 29, 2000 and not on Feb, 9, 2001 as stated at trial or on March 1, 2002 as stated in the grand jury presentment.

In addition, an email that Mike McQueary sent to Jonelle Eschbach right after the Nov. 2011 grand jury presentment came out where McQueary complained to Eschbach that she twisted his words in the GJP when she claimed he had witnessed an anal rape.

There is much more information that has come out. I refer you to Mark Pendergrast's book "The Most Hated Man in America: Jerry Sandusky and the Rush to Judgment" and the Penn State chapter in Malcolm Gladwell's book "Talking to Strangers."
None of this is new, though.

Reactions: WHCANole
And like so many other things..... nothing will happen.

Perhaps. It seems like the fix might be in.

However, this story has legs. Spanier and Sandusky both have legal remedies in the works. We should get decisions in the federal Third Circuit and the Pa. Superior Court before too long and in either case, the court could possibly rule on the merits of the case. I don't believe these cases will be the last word. Too many people know what did and what did not happen in this story for the facts to remain a mystery forever.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
None of this is new, though.

I don't believe the McChesney diary was common knowledge before Sandusky submitted his latest appeal.

I was referring to new in the terms of things that have come out since Sandusky was convicted.

What timeframe are you considering new?

Any update on the Barron review of the freeh report?

Whatever it is we know that it will be extraordinary, unprecedented and truly amazing.

And nobody will care.

It remains to be seen if there will be any audience for this podcast.

I am not a big Ziegler fan; but I will certainly listen to the podast. It seems like it may be professionally produced. They have a lot of material. I hope it gains traction, but I am guessing that the whole story will not catch fire, at least not initially.

Whatever it is we know that it will be extraordinary, unprecedented and truly amazing.

And nobody will care.

I will care.

5b02c83836429_icare.gif.9c63066dae8f7986f78c2a7d69c27626.gif

Reactions: PS4814
I don't believe the McChesney diary was common knowledge before Sandusky submitted his latest appeal.

I was referring to new in the terms of things that have come out since Sandusky was convicted.

What timeframe are you considering new?
New, as in we haven't already heard it. The 'new' points you note are not actually new. Maybe since 2012. But in reality, these points haven't changed anything they come out. Maybe if Schultz/Curley have something new to add, that could get interesting. But if JZ is just going to rehash the same points, nothing is going to change. Especially given his audience already knows this stuff.

Reactions: WHCANole and nits74
New, as in we haven't already heard it. The 'new' points you note are not actually new. Maybe since 2012. But in reality, these points haven't changed anything they come out. Maybe if Schultz/Curley have something new to add, that could get interesting. But if JZ is just going to rehash the same points, nothing is going to change. Especially given his audience already knows this stuff.
That’s pretty much where I am at with this. I am interested in the topic and keep an open mind to the facts. But this sounds like just another repackaging of material already known by anybody still paying attention.

Ziegler claims to have taped 55-60 hours of new material. He has said he interviewed Aaron Fisher's ex-wife. I know he has also interviewed John Snedden. I suspect that he included new interviews with the likes of Mark Pendergrast, Malcolm Gladwell, Fred Crews, Anthony Lubrano, Dick Anderson, Jeff Byers, Franco Harris, and others who have first-hand knowledge of the story. Ziegler has said that the podcast will enable him to share a lot of new information that he has collected over the years. He has said in the past that one of the best interviews that he has done was with Gary Schultz who explained why he was convinced that Sandusky was innocent. I wouldn't be surprised if Gary is included prominently in the podcast. Ziegler has stated that he has interviewed over a dozen people who know Aaron Fisher the best and they all believe that Aaron has been less than truthful in his recounting of what has happened. I suspect that Aaron will have a key role in the podcast. I suspect that people who know Glen Neff and Matt Sandusky well will be featured in the podcast as well. Ziegler's co-host is a Los Angeles TV personality, so I believe that most or all of the segments will be new. I don't know if there will be any bombshells, but I suspect it will be very interesting. I am looking forward to the initial podcast.

Ziegler claims to have taped 55-60 hours of new material. He has said he interviewed Aaron Fisher's ex-wife. I know he has also interviewed John Snedden. I suspect that he included new interviews with the likes of Mark Pendergrast, Malcolm Gladwell, Fred Crews, Anthony Lubrano, Dick Anderson, Jeff Byers, Franco Harris, and others who have first-hand knowledge of the story. Ziegler has said that the podcast will enable him to share a lot of new information that he has collected over the years. He has said in the past that one of the best interviews that he has done was with Gary Schultz who explained why he was convinced that Sandusky was innocent. I wouldn't be surprised if Gary is included prominently in the podcast. Ziegler has stated that he has interviewed over a dozen people who know Aaron Fisher the best and they all believe that Aaron has been less than truthful in his recounting of what has happened. I suspect that Aaron will have a key role in the podcast. I suspect that people who know Glen Neff and Matt Sandusky well will be featured in the podcast as well. Ziegler's co-host is a Los Angeles TV personality, so I believe that most or all of the segments will be new. I don't know if there will be any bombshells, but I suspect it will be very interesting. I am looking forward to the initial podcast.
A Schultz interview could be interesting. The rest seems like the same old stuff.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
LaVar Arrington has some nice things to say about Jerry Sandusky. He made a instagram video after Marty Schotteheimer's death concerning the coaches over the years that had the largest influences on him as a football player.

Starting at the 1:45 mark, LaVar states "In college, I know it might sound crazy, but Jerry Sandusky was my person. He understood me. He understood what my talents were and he really, really did an amazing job of allowing me to grow and be who I was as a player."

Last edited:
LaVar Arrington has some nice things to say about Jerry Sandusky. He made a instragram video after Marty Schotteheimer's death concerning the coaches over the years that had the largest influences on him as a football player.

Starting at the 1:45 mark, LaVar states "In college, I know it might sound crazy, but Jerry Sandusky was my person. He understood me. He understood what my talents were and he really, really did an amazing job of allowing me to grow and be who I was as a player."

Thanks for sharing this. I am not on "the gram" (as the kids call it) so maybe this is a dumb question, but did people comment on this statement? I'm friends with another linebacker who was coached by JS around the same time as Lavar who had nothing but complimentary things to say about the coach.

None of that is new.

BTW, regardless of what you think of Fina he said that he saw no evidence that Paterno was involved in a coverup.

“I do not,” Fina said straight up when asked if Paterno participated in a coverup.
“And I’m viewing this strictly on the evidence, not any kind of fealty to anybody. I did not find that evidence.”

Reactions: Bob78 and BBrown

None of that is really new though is it? I gave up following this case a while ago and I remember the stuff about Fina being sanctioned and the Date of the shower incident has ALWAYS been in question, from the start, IIRC.
Same with the email to Eschabach.
Just doesn't seem like anything "new" to me.🤷‍♂️

Thanks for sharing this. I am not on "the gram" (as the kids call it) so maybe this is a dumb question, but did people comment on this statement? I'm friends with another linebacker who was coached by JS around the same time as Lavar who had nothing but complimentary things to say about the coach.

LaVar’s video has 1326 views with 226 likes and 37 comments. LaVar responded to a lot of the comments. There was only 1 comment that referenced his Sandusky statement:

josmuns

Lavar I respect you showing love to Jerry Sandusky. Many people who are familiar with the actual facts of the so-called PSU scandal know him to be 100% innocent. Are you of the same understating?

Lavar did not respond to josmuns comment.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
None of that is really new though is it? I gave up following this case a while ago and I remember the stuff about Fina being sanctioned and the Date of the shower incident has ALWAYS been in question, from the start, IIRC.
Same with the email to Eschabach.
Just doesn't seem like anything "new" to me.🤷‍♂️

I should have been more articulate in my statement regarding new developments. I was referring to developments that have come out since Sandusky's trial.

I believe that the original trial was patently unfair. If there is ever a re-trial, I believe that based on new information that has come out since the trial that there would be more than reasonable doubt in Sandusky's guilt.

I do not know the material that Ziegler is planning on using in the podcast, but it should be good. I don't know if it will move public opinion significantly, but it certainly won't hurt.

I should have been more articulate in my statement regarding new developments. I was referring to developments that have come out since Sandusky's trial.

I believe that the original trial was patently unfair. If there is ever a re-trial, I believe that based on new information that has come out since the trial that there would be more than reasonable doubt in Sandusky's guilt.

I do not know the material that Ziegler is planning on using in the podcast, but it should be good. I don't know if it will move public opinion significantly, but it certainly won't hurt.

Ok.
But allow me to answer your last question...
It won't move it at all.

Reactions: nits74
You’ve never seen me say that, though. I just find it disingenuous when people use showering in the same group shower with their coaches/gym teachers as comparable to what we know Sandusky was doing (I’m not saying that is what bbrown was doing here as I don’t think that’s his MO).

What do you know Sandusky was doing in the shower? Allan Myers, the boy in the infamous 2000/2001 shower incident with Sandusky in the Lasch locker room that Mike McQueary witnessed, has repeatedly and emphatically denied that Jerry Sandusky ever sexually abused him.

What do you know Sandusky was doing in the shower? Allan Myers, the boy in the infamous 2000/2001 shower incident with Sandusky in the Lasch locker room that Mike McQueary witnessed, has repeatedly and emphatically denied that Jerry Sandusky ever sexually abused him.

“Some of these kids don’t have basic hygiene skills,” Rominger said. “Teaching a person to shower at the age of 12 or 14 sounds strange to some people, but people who work with troubled youth will tell you there are a lot of juvenile delinquents and people who are dependent who have to be taught basic life skills like how to put soap on their body.” That quote was taken from the NY Post on December 15, 2011.

12-14 year olds don’t need somebody to show them how to put soap on their bodies. And if they do, I don’t know of one person in the field of working with troubled youth who would ever physically do it for them, let alone in a shower alone with them.

Can the cancel culture cancel the Sandusky scandal? After almost ten years what hasn’t been said.... and where is Ray Gricar anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT