ADVERTISEMENT

With the Benefit of Hindsight - Ziegler's new documentary podcast on scandal to start in 2021

What activity do you think MM described to his father that would have prompted his father to ask if MM had seen insertion/penetration?
Dranov testified that MM didn't mention anything sexual.

I don't think MM told anybody about anything sexual. JM, Dranov, Joe, Curley, and Shultz all said as much.

It's possible that they're all lying but that seems unlikely. I don't understand why people seem to believe JM & Dranov but not others who tell the same story.

JS was a father figure to these boys and C&S knew this.

But yes, if you tried to give me a naked hug it would be creepy.
But not illegal? I’ve just never really understood that part of the whole thing. And being a “father figure” is not being a father. For that matter, if an 11-year old boy told me his father got in the shower with him and hugged him I would call social services.

If somebody reports something significant enough to warrant a call to an attorney..... I say you've got to document things.

Yes, I said in my reply that they needed to document more thoroughly.

I don't think MM told anybody about anything sexual. JM, Dranov, Joe, Curley, and Shultz all said as much.

It's possible that they're all lying but that seems unlikely. I don't understand why people seem to believe JM & Dranov but not others who tell the same story.
It makes no sense that MM told different stories to everyone he spoke to. I can bite that he may have spoke in general terms with Joe. But as Sue said, he wasn't even in their home long enough to say much. The different stories to GS and TC, just fit into the bullshit story that Fina concocted.

MM's father testified that he asked Mike whether he had seen insertion/penetration after Mike told him what he had seen that night. What actions could Mike have described that you think could have prompted Mike's father to ask such a specific question, other than the elephant in the room?

MM's father testified that he asked Mike whether he had seen insertion/penetration after Mike told him what he had seen that night. What actions could Mike have described that you think could have prompted Mike's father to ask such a specific question, other than the elephant in the room?
Dranov said he asked McQueary three times whether he saw anything sexual, and each time McQueary said no.

John McQueary told Rominger he didn't call police because his son didn't say he saw anything sexual.

What activity do you think MM described to his father that would have prompted his father to ask if MM had seen insertion/penetration?
Wasn't Dranov's actual quote. "did you see anything sexual" and Dranov's. response was "he said no but was so upset he gave me the IMPRESSION something sexual had occurred" If my quote is correct I wonder what gave me the impression means?

Either Dr. Dranov, Tim Curley, Gary Schultz and Joe Paterno lied.....or MM lied. I know what I believe.

This is the beginning, middle, and end for me. Either these 4 men who dedicated their lives to doing what is right and good ALL decided collectively yet individually to lie and cover up the worst thing they'd every heard, OR some gambling addict undergrad skirt chaser lied. Gee, tough to tell who to believe.

So if you and I are in a group shower, I can walk up to you and give you a hug without any fear of it being a crime because I’m not gay? Or would it be a crime because we are both adults? If another man hugged me in a shower I would want him charged with a crime.
It might still be a crime, just not necessarily a sexual one, right?

It might still be a crime, just not necessarily a sexual one, right?
What would the crime be then? It can’t be indecent exposure if you’re in a shower.
I’ve read in here since this all came out how a grown man showering alone with a boy and hugging them is creepy but isn’t a crime but I don’t see how that’s the case. Ifit was my kid, I would certainly expect the grown man to be charged with a crime.

Wasn't Dranov's actual quote. "did you see anything sexual" and Dranov's. response was "he said no but was so upset he gave me the IMPRESSION something sexual had occurred" If my quote is correct I wonder what gave me the impression means?
Well if MM's report gave Dr.D the impression he witnessed a sexual assault....why didn't Dranov call the proper agency and report? Since we know he didn't, why wasn't he prosecuted?
What would the crime be then? It can’t be indecent exposure if you’re in a shower.
I’ve read in here since this all came out how a grown man showering alone with a boy and hugging them is creepy but isn’t a crime but I don’t see how that’s the case. Ifit was my kid, I would certainly expect the grown man to be charged with a crime.
We've beaten the shower scenario to death.
So let's assume Jerry touched some of these kids and deserves punishment. If that was all he did ....wouldn't he be released by now?
He's got essentially a life sentence because some claimants said oral and anal sex took place. Do we really believe that? Do we believe Jerry forcefully subjecting a youngster to anal sex in his family room.....while the victim screamed for help.....and Dottie was home? These are the kind of accusations that he is currently serving time for.

Last edited:
I think you could make the argument that you were assaulted. I'm simply arguing that without sexual intent, it isn't sexual assault. That doesn't mean you weren't a victim of a crime.

As it pertains to Sandusky, this is where, IMO, a lot of the controversy lies. I think it's very plausible that Jerry ignored the '98 warning in '01, not because he was some drooling reprobate who couldn't control his evil within, but because he knew in his mind that sexual gratification wasn't part of the equation. He maintained close relationships with both of those boys until the end. Neither had accused Sandusky of doing anything sexual.

If you accept the possibility that Sandusky was not seeking sexual gratification, the case against him is very weak. IMO, Jerry was convicted of all the other charges because the assertions of V1 were never really scrutinized. As long as he was guilty of sexual assault once, that made everything else of which he was accused, at the very least, grooming

I think you could make the argument that you were assaulted. I'm simply arguing that without sexual intent, it isn't sexual assault. That doesn't mean you weren't a victim of a crime.

As it pertains to Sandusky, this is where, IMO, a lot of the controversy lies. I think it's very plausible that Jerry ignored the '98 warning in '01, not because he was some drooling reprobate who couldn't control his evil within, but because he knew in his mind that sexual gratification wasn't part of the equation. He maintained close relationships with both of those boys until the end. Neither had accused Sandusky of doing anything sexual.

If you accept the possibility that Sandusky was not seeking sexual gratification, the case against him is very weak. IMO, Jerry was convicted of all the other charges because the assertions of V1 were never really scrutinized. As long as he was guilty of sexual assault once, that made everything else of which he was accused, at the very least, grooming
And I’m saying the opposite should be true, while understanding that talking about adults is a completely different situation from an adult and a child. I don’t understand why it would be up to person taking the action to determine if there is sexual intent or not. Wouldn’t it make more sense how the person being acted upon was made to feel? And in all honesty, it’s damn near impossible to argue that a naked shower hug is not sexual. Reasonable doubt and all that. Possible? Maybe. Reasonably possible? No, not really. I struggle with why he wasn’t charged with a crime in ‘98. Just too hard to prove I guess?

Reactions: WHCANole
And I’m saying the opposite should be true, while understanding that talking about adults is a completely different situation from an adult and a child. I don’t understand why it would be up to person taking the action to determine if there is sexual intent or not. Wouldn’t it make more sense how the person being acted upon was made to feel? And in all honesty, it’s damn near impossible to argue that a naked shower hug is not sexual. Reasonable doubt and all that. Possible? Maybe. Reasonably possible? No, not really. I struggle with why he wasn’t charged with a crime in ‘98. Just too hard to prove I guess?
If a person inadvertently touches another person inappropriately, is that a crime? I'm no lawyer, but I'd think this is where you get into the distinction between a criminal matter and a civil one. IOW, you could be harmed by what someone does, but unless that person intended to harm you, I don't think assault can be proved. That doesn't mean you don't deserve to be made whole in civil court.

In '98, the kid said he didn't feel that what Jerry had done was sexual. He wasn't charged because he was never accused. In 2011, that same behavior was deemed to be grooming because it was assumed that V1's accusations of sexual assault were credible. Intent is everything.

Reactions: francofan
If a person inadvertently touches another person inappropriately, is that a crime? I'm no lawyer, but I'd think this is where you get into the distinction between a criminal matter and a civil one. IOW, you could be harmed by what someone does, but unless that person intended to harm you, I don't think assault can be proved. That doesn't mean you don't deserve to be made whole in civil court.

In '98, the kid said he didn't feel that what Jerry had done was sexual. He wasn't charged because he was never accused. In 2011, that same behavior was deemed to be grooming because it was assumed that V1's accusations of sexual assault were credible. Intent is everything.
We’re certainly not talking about anything inadvertent. A naked hug doesn’t happen by accident. The kid in ‘98 said he didn’t feel what Jerry did was sexual. All well and good, but it’s not up to 11-year olds to determine what is sexual and what is not. Hugging an 11-year old in a shower would seem to me to be clearly sexual. To this day it doesn’t make sense to me why he wasn’t charged. Then answer certainly can’t be because an 11-year old boy didn’t think it was sexual. I’m sure they explained it somewhere along the line. I guess I’ll search around for the reason they didn’t press charges. That really is where the authorities missed their opportunity with Jerry.

Reactions: WHCANole
We’re certainly not talking about anything inadvertent. A naked hug doesn’t happen by accident. The kid in ‘98 said he didn’t feel what Jerry did was sexual. All well and good, but it’s not up to 11-year olds to determine what is sexual and what is not. Hugging an 11-year old in a shower would seem to me to be clearly sexual. To this day it doesn’t make sense to me why he wasn’t charged. Then answer certainly can’t be because an 11-year old boy didn’t think it was sexual. I’m sure they explained it somewhere along the line. I guess I’ll search around for the reason they didn’t press charges. That really is where the authorities missed their opportunity with Jerry.
I think you would have to look for a clue in Harrisburg to determine why that case was closed. I don't think that was a local call.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
A hug can be just a hug, just as a shower can be just a shower. I agree that when genital contact becomes part of the discussion, it gets problematic, but I disagree that it can't be inadvertent.

99% of everything Jerry did as it relates to TSM kids earned TSM recognition by Pres. Bush as one of his 1000 points of light. Today, that same behavior is considered criminal. The only difference is the perception of intent.

A hug can be just a hug, just as a shower can be just a shower. I agree that when genital contact becomes part of the discussion, it gets problematic, but I disagree that it can't be inadvertent.

99% of everything Jerry did as it relates to TSM kids earned TSM recognition by Pres. Bush as one of his 1000 points of light. Today, that same behavior is considered criminal. The only difference is the perception of intent.
You hit on the point indy. A shower can just be a shower. I don’t think anybody would argue that. A hug can just be a hug. I don’t think anybody would argue that either. In a vacuum either is understandable. A hug in a shower is close to impossible to explain away innocently. Of all the people in here that say their gym teacher showered with them I wonder how many of them did so alone and had the teacher hug them while doing so?

My post related to Mike's father's testimony.

As to your question as to Dranov's testimony, the answer is he may have heard the same thing that prompted Mike's father to ask if he saw insertion/penetration.

As to your question as to Dranov's testimony, the answer is he may have heard the same thing that prompted Mike's father to ask if he saw insertion/penetration.

Reactions: nits74
So I will not go back down the rabbit hole again but in re reading this stuff obviously John. M not remembering was not only startling but also that he DID remember so clearly conversations from 10 years earlier. Did JS lawyers ever bring up that interesting fact?

So I will not go back down the rabbit hole again but in re reading this stuff obviously John. M not remembering was not only startling but also that he DID remember so clearly conversations from 10 years earlier. Did JS lawyers ever bring up that interesting fact?
The judge wouldn't allow it. Rominger was clearly frustrated and the judge told him the witness doesn't remember and he was ordered to move on. Rominger requested to approach the bench to discuss and was denied.

Everybody deserves due process. Otherwise people can be falsely accused and not be given an opportunity to defend themselves. I can't believe you're OK with that.

FWIW it used to be common for adults to go into communal showers with kids. My high school coach showered with us. My wife tells me that her phys ed teacher made the girls open their towels and expose themselves to prove they were wet and actually showered. That doesn't mean I support sexual assault. I'm just saying that it wasn't uncommon a few decades ago and it doesn't mean that sexual assault was occuring.
As I recall, the boy in the shower claimed nothing happened. That sure seems like evidence that there was no rape.

The judge wouldn't allow it. Rominger was clearly frustrated and the judge told him the witness doesn't remember and he was ordered to move on. Rominger requested to approach the bench to discuss and was denied.
The fix was in.

The media induced public outrage was huge. It would have been political suicide for any judge/jury finding Sandusky not guilty. It would have been like killing Santa.

I'm not saying JS was innocent. I'm just saying there was immense pressure to find him guilty. Same with C/S/S.
Forget C/S/S. Why do you think Sandusky was in the shower with these boys alone? What logical reason would there be?

Nope.
Of course we are gratified that somebody in a position of authority has challenged the Freeh Report, which, of course, we believe was flawed in many ways," Lindsay said in a press release. "I must reluctantly state, however, that there is a significant flaw in the A7 Report. The Report accepts as gospel that Jerry Sandusky actually did these things. So much of what is wrong in the Freeh Report and the A7 response, is that we are operating under that paradigm. Of course, it is our position from day one that Jerry Sandusky is absolutely innocent of the charges and was convicted of the various counts only by a very flawed criminal trial."

Also appearing with Lindsay will be John Snedden, a former NCIS special agent who conducted a contemporaneous but previously unknown federal investigation on the Penn State campus for six months in 2012 and found no official cover up.

In the press release, Snedden described previous investigations at Penn State as "politically motivated, agenda-driven, and collusive."

"What does that previously unknown concurrent and independent federal investigation have to say about this whole mess?" Snedden said in the press release. "Monday at 10 a.m. be there."

The press conference will be held at The Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, 1357 East College Avenue, State College PA.

Also appearing at the press conference will be Ralph Cipriano of bigtrial.net. Cipriano will talk about how confidential documents show that the entire board of trustees at Penn State paid out $118 million to 36 alleged victims of Sandusky -- an average of $3.3 million each -- without having those alleged victims questioned by lawyers, forensic psychiatrists or detectives, or subjected to polygraph tests or criminal background checks.

"Easy money," is how Big Trial has described the payouts at Penn State.

Lindsay presently has an appeal before the state Supreme Court on Sandusky's behalf filed under the Post-Conviction Relief Act. "Hopefully, we will be granted a new trial," Lindsay said.

The press conference caps some recent new developments in the so-called Penn State sex scandal. The report done by the trustees on Freeh was recently leaked. The leaking of that report, and perhaps the contents as well, are expected to dominate a meeting of the full board of trustees at Penn State today.

Meanwhile, former Penn State president Graham Spanier, who was the subject of Snedden's investigation, yesterday lost his appeal to the state Supreme Court of his conviction of one count of endangering the welfare of a child. As a result of the appeal, Spanier may be headed to jail to serve a sentence of two months, followed by two months of home confinement.
Yep.

Nope.
Of course we are gratified that somebody in a position of authority has challenged the Freeh Report, which, of course, we believe was flawed in many ways," Lindsay said in a press release. "I must reluctantly state, however, that there is a significant flaw in the A7 Report. The Report accepts as gospel that Jerry Sandusky actually did these things. So much of what is wrong in the Freeh Report and the A7 response, is that we are operating under that paradigm. Of course, it is our position from day one that Jerry Sandusky is absolutely innocent of the charges and was convicted of the various counts only by a very flawed criminal trial."

Also appearing with Lindsay will be John Snedden, a former NCIS special agent who conducted a contemporaneous but previously unknown federal investigation on the Penn State campus for six months in 2012 and found no official cover up.

In the press release, Snedden described previous investigations at Penn State as "politically motivated, agenda-driven, and collusive."

"What does that previously unknown concurrent and independent federal investigation have to say about this whole mess?" Snedden said in the press release. "Monday at 10 a.m. be there."

The press conference will be held at The Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, 1357 East College Avenue, State College PA.

Also appearing at the press conference will be Ralph Cipriano of bigtrial.net. Cipriano will talk about how confidential documents show that the entire board of trustees at Penn State paid out $118 million to 36 alleged victims of Sandusky -- an average of $3.3 million each -- without having those alleged victims questioned by lawyers, forensic psychiatrists or detectives, or subjected to polygraph tests or criminal background checks.

"Easy money," is how Big Trial has described the payouts at Penn State.

Lindsay presently has an appeal before the state Supreme Court on Sandusky's behalf filed under the Post-Conviction Relief Act. "Hopefully, we will be granted a new trial," Lindsay said.

The press conference caps some recent new developments in the so-called Penn State sex scandal. The report done by the trustees on Freeh was recently leaked. The leaking of that report, and perhaps the contents as well, are expected to dominate a meeting of the full board of trustees at Penn State today.

Meanwhile, former Penn State president Graham Spanier, who was the subject of Snedden's investigation, yesterday lost his appeal to the state Supreme Court of his conviction of one count of endangering the welfare of a child. As a result of the appeal, Spanier may be headed to jail to serve a sentence of two months, followed by two months of home confinement.
Yep.

Nope was your answer?

What you posted is in no way probative as to what MM told his father or Dranov.

What you posted is in no way probative as to what MM told his father or Dranov.
Mike had such a great look he couldn't tell what color the kid's hair was or even if there was arousal. The insertion question was taking a big leap.

Does it really matter if I find it sexually gratifying though? If it was just up the person doing it there would never be a sexual assault.
It's not up to the person, it is up to a jury. Does the evidence point to this person being gratified (e.g. did they have an erection? Did they say anything sexual or inappropriate while this was occurring? Have there been other instances where gratification was evident? Does this individual have pornography that suggests they are attracted to the demographic of person who was assaulted?)

So if you and I are in a group shower, I can walk up to you and give you a hug without any fear of it being a crime because I’m not gay? Or would it be a crime because we are both adults? If another man hugged me in a shower I would want him charged with a crime.
If anyone touches you without your consent, it is assault. So yes, they could be charged with a crime, but the fact that you are naked and in a shower is not the deciding criteria for assault.

It's not up to the person, it is up to a jury. Does the evidence point to this person being gratified (e.g. did they have an erection? Did they say anything sexual or inappropriate while this was occurring? Have there been other instances where gratification was evident? Does this individual have pornography that suggests they are attracted to the demographic of person who was assaulted?)
And the jury decided that it was beyond reasonable doubt to think that it was not sexual. Because, why else would somebody initiate a naked hug with another?

And the jury decided that it was beyond reasonable doubt to think that it was not sexual. Because, why else would somebody initiate a naked hug with another?
I was answering your general question about the difference between assault and sexual assault and who the "decider" was in terms of whether it was sexual or not. Having said that, I am not convinced that the jury made the correct decision on that point

I also think you are allowing your own sexuality and boundaries color your assessment of this (which is totally understandable). For example, nudists do not view nakedness as a sexual thing at all. A hug to them (while naked) is not a sexual act. I have no idea if the act in the shower was sexually motivated or not. Honestly, only JS knows that. However, I feel that your assertion that it is IMPOSSIBLE that is was not sexual is incorrect.

Last edited:

And sometimes the jury gets it wrong. Imho, the evidence in the case does not point
to Sandusky's being sexually gratified. Neither v6 (zk) or v2 (am) stated that Sandusky had an erection or that anything sexual or inappropriate was occurring. In addition, no pornography (either physical or electronic) has ever been found in Sandusky's possession. Another exculpatory bit of information is Sandusky's diagnosis of hypogonadism which is indicative of a low sex drive.

Reactions: indynittany
Forget C/S/S. Why do you think Sandusky was in the shower with these boys alone? What logical reason would there be?
You don't like my answer. Jerry was like a father figure to these kids. He adopted several of them. He could have viewed it like spending quality time with his kids. C & S might have seen it the same way.

I don't claim JS was innocent. I think even if his intentions were good he should have been scared and stopped his one on one contact. I think it's unconscionable that TSM allowed one on one contact with troubled kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT