ADVERTISEMENT

With so much emphasis on some guy named Barkley this year....

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
I just wonder how much more Trace can do in year #2 in this system. I can only imagine him seeing the safety cheating down early and boom....JJ over the top. I think his numbers could actually go up this year while SB's could take a dip and it won't be due to talent obviously. This offense seems to be setup so that you take what they give you and not so much imposing your will on a defense.

I agree. With an improved OL but no Godwin I think it's more likely Barkleys stats improve than Trace.

Reactions: royboy
Averaged 261 yds passing and 169 yds rushing per game last year.

My crystal ball says PSU goes over 200 yds/game rushing (with significant contributions from guys in addition to #26) and could go over 500 yds/ game total offense

I agree. With an improved OL but no Godwin I think it's more likely Barkleys stats improve than Trace.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear that I don't see Trace regressing. I think SB will have a Heisman-like season, a highlight every week. CJF will keep him fresh, give Sanders and Robinson their share of carries. SB will run wild in 4th quarters.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear that I don't see Trace regressing. I think SB will have a Heisman-like season, a highlight every week. CJF will keep him fresh, give Sanders and Robinson their share of carries. SB will run wild in 4th quarters.

agree, but will run wild "if needed" in 4th quarters

I think he'll sit late game in blowouts

Who really knows how it plays out... and that's a good thing for the O's unpredictability.

With an improved OL Trace has more time and with two fast 6-4 receivers and a 6-6 TE the down field threat is definitely still there.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
agree, but will run wild "if needed" in 4th quarters

I think he'll sit late game in blowouts

Really depends on how defenses align themselves just prior to snap. If defenses align "soft" (i.e., 4 dedicated to defensive backfield w/ safeties well back off LOS - i.e., "two deep" alignment - and LBs with a "soft" drop) and they stay in this formation just prior to and at the snap....PSU will likely "Read-Option Run". If PSU gashes their defense and the defense begins to bring assets closer to the LOS (i.e., gets more people "in the box")....or shifts into this defensive formation just prior to, or at, the snap, PSU will "Read Option Pass". This is the fundamental way JoMo's offense is designed - it has no preference for running or passing, it is structured to "Read Option" to the correct play and there is a "pass or run option" for every single play run.

I just wonder how much more Trace can do in year #2 in this system. I can only imagine him seeing the safety cheating down early and boom....JJ over the top. I think his numbers could actually go up this year while SB's could take a dip and it won't be due to talent obviously. This offense seems to be setup so that you take what they give you and not so much imposing your will on a defense.

That and looking for Gesicki to build on his great year last year.

If the O-line stay healthy it will blow a lot teams off the ball all game long. No more not getting 3 and 1 or 3 and 2, that will open the passing game up even more and running lanes for Trace. Going to be a lot of points scored this year.

Reactions: BBrown and LionJim
No more SB getting hit two yards behind the LOS will be a deal breaker. No, I don't see SB's stats taking a dip. He'll break one for 25+ every game. Actually, I think there might be a more positive effect on SB than on Trace as last year you'd have the safeties cheating up to the LOS a lot more than you'd see this year, IMO.
It's more about Trace taking what the defense gives him. They won't force the run as they don't have to. I still think teams will focus on SB first and they will take their chances with the passing game...JMO though.

Reactions: BBrown
I think the answer is both.
Did Kerry Collins, Bobby Engram, and Kyle Brady make Kijana Carter better better, or did Kijana make them better?
If the Defense has to respect both the run and the pass, it creates lots of opportunities.

I think the answer is both.
Did Kerry Collins, Bobby Engram, and Kyle Brady make Kijana Carter better better, or did Kijana make them better?
If the Defense has to respect both the run and the pass, it creates lots of opportunities.
You meant LOTS

Good posts below. On the other hand until I see Wisky-style run blocking this offense will not live up to its potential. It will be good but not great. All eyes are on that Lime Grower fella. Will he earn his keep.

All I want is for PSU to beat all the teams wearing white, blue, red, yellow, purple or green. If that happens, I won't care which PSU player wins the Heisman!

Reactions: lionroar88
Really depends on how defenses align themselves just prior to snap. If defenses align "soft" (i.e., 4 dedicated to defensive backfield w/ safeties well back off LOS - i.e., "two deep" alignment - and LBs with a "soft" drop) and they stay in this formation just prior to and at the snap....PSU will likely "Read-Option Run". If PSU gashes their defense and the defense begins to bring assets closer to the LOS (i.e., gets more people "in the box")....or shifts into this defensive formation just prior to, or at, the snap, PSU will "Read Option Pass". This is the fundamental way JoMo's offense is designed - it has no preference for running or passing, it is structured to "Read Option" to the correct play and there is a "pass or run option" for every single play run.
suppose they bring 10 up? Fill every gap with a DL/LB, play press on the WR's leave one back. What are you checking to?

JMO but I think you are exactly right. I think for the first 2 or 3 games we will see defenses play the same way they did last year.
Only they aren't going to realize how good the Oline has become and those 3rd and 3's and 3rd and 4's that were obvious passing situations will not be. The D will have to move some guys off the LOS and its going to open the door for a lot of options.
When I took a look at all the WR's, TE's and RB's we have I don't think anyone is going to have eye popping numbers but they may have eye popping stats. Barkley's run yardage may go down (I don't think so) but his YPC is going to go up.

Some good comments in this thread. But, please, please, Mister Offense, pick up those darn 3rd-and-<2s. Heck, I was almost to the point where I hoped for an illegal procedure penalty on all 3rd-and-2 type situations. I felt more confident with 3rd-and-7. :(

Reactions: LionJim
suppose they bring 10 up? Fill every gap with a DL/LB, play press on the WR's leave one back. What are you checking to?
Presuming your 10 D does their jobs, you get one on one with Trace.

5 yards. I'll take it every time.

Likely to check to a slant or "iso-play" to the side of the field without the deep help (i,e., the 11th defender not up who is likely a safety) - that safety will generally be lined-up toward the stronger side of the field where PSU has more eligible-receivers lined up. Watch the BCG where PSU runs SB to the empty side of the field on a "iso" wheel route and he runs right past Watt and the Safety has no chance to get over.....TD PSU.

I wonder IF Trace will throw up less "jump balls". I guess a lot of that depends on the receivers getting some separation. We were not very good at that last year BUT super good with jump balls (mostly Godwin).

Likely to check to a slant or "iso-play" to the side of the field without the deep help (i,e., the 11th defender not up who is likely a safety) - that safety will generally be lined-up toward the stronger side of the field where PSU has more eligible-receivers lined up. Watch the BCG where PSU runs SB to the empty side of the field on a "iso" wheel route and he runs right past Watt and the Safety has no chance to get over.....TD PSU.

Here is a video - if you "freeze it" immediately, you will see that Wisco does exactly what you say, 10 guys are up in press coverage with only 1 Safety back on the left side of the field. PSU runs Barkley, who is isolated on Watt, on a wheel route to the right sideline. Barkley easily runs right past Watt and the Safety has so much territory to cover from the left side to the right corner he has no chance of getting over in time......TD PSU.

It's more about Trace taking what the defense gives him. They won't force the run as they don't have to. I still think teams will focus on SB first and they will take their chances with the passing game...JMO though.

I agree with that statement 100%! Make McSorley beat you with his arm. Gonna see teams load up the LOS, and hope their D-backs can do their jobs.

I agree with that statement 100%! Make McSorley beat you with his arm. Gonna see teams load up the LOS, and hope their D-backs can do their jobs.

Well even then, they still need to be able to cover SB 1-on-1 "in the flats" off "play action" and Barkley is a pretty good receiver as the video below demonstrates....

Reactions: PSU_1991
Defenses will always key on Barkley. They will risk Trace taking shots then Barkley busting 10 yards a carry. Barkely will be a top 5 pick and best prospect in next year draft. Defenses will do everything to try to slow him down.

Here is a video - if you "freeze it" immediately, you will see that Wisco does exactly what you say, 10 guys are up in press coverage with only 1 Safety back on the left side of the field. PSU runs Barkley, who is isolated on Watt, on a wheel route to the right sideline. Barkley easily runs right past Watt and the Safety has so much territory to cover from the left side to the right corner he has no chance of getting over in time......TD PSU.

Whisky isn't playing 10 up, and not everybody is pressing, where they can't get off the line. SB couldn't release vs 10 up or TS will her killed

Whisky isn't playing 10 up, and not everybody is pressing, where they can't get off the line. SB couldn't release vs 10 up or TS will her killed

You are absolutely full of $hit as per usual if you simply watch the vid and freeze it immediately..... Wisconsin absolutely is playing "man up" on the receivers and has everyone coming forward into "the box" at the snap with the exception of one Safety who is set to the left side. This is precisely why Watt is isolated on SB when he goes into his wheel route! Apparently you are every bit as blind as you are full of $hit - go figure!

You are absolutely full of $hit as per usual if you simply watch the vid and freeze it immediately..... Wisconsin absolutely is playing "man up" on the receivers and has everyone coming forward into "the box" at the snap with the exception of one Safety who is set to the left side. This is precisely why Watt is isolated on SB when he goes into his wheel route! Apparently you are every bit as blind as you are full of $hit - go figure!
well again you don't understand the term '10 man up ' on defense. it means there are 10 guys on the LOS (line of scrimmage in case you didnt cover that in Football for dummies), so every gap is covered, the the DB's are pressing the WR's. SB won't be able to run the wheel route as 1) TS would be killed 2) SB would have been forced to block the oncoming defender or 3) the defender would have just collisioned him in the backfield and not allowed a release.

or they could have just walked out of the 10 man up and played a zone.

dont play checkers when the game is chess.

well again you don't understand the term '10 man up ' on defense. it means there are 10 guys on the LOS (line of scrimmage in case you didnt cover that in Football for dummies), so every gap is covered, the the DB's are pressing the WR's. SB won't be able to run the wheel route as 1) TS would be killed 2) SB would have been forced to block the oncoming defender or 3) the defender would have just collisioned him in the backfield and not allowed a release.

or they could have just walked out of the 10 man up and played a zone.

dont play checkers when the game is chess.

Wrong again know-nothing - LBs & SS are not on the LOS even when "the box" is fully stacked....you are completely full of shat as per usual. In regards to the receivers being covered "man-up" on the video I linked, they absolute are lame-brain! You clearly didn't watch the video (or probably just don't understand what you're seeing due to your lack of football knowledge), but Watt is clearly "up" and has isolated 1-on-1 coverage responsibility when SB breaks into the "wheel route" from his RB position AFTER THE SNAP! SB simply runs by the defender assigned 1-on-1 responsibility to him in Wisconsin's "10 man up", press coverage defense and TM drops it over his shoulder after he runs right past his "isolated defender", Watt, for an easy PSU TD.

Wrong again know-nothing - LBs & SS are not on the LOS even when "the box" is fully stacked....you are completely full of shat as per usual. In regards to the receivers being covered "man-up" on the video I linked, they absolute are lame-brain! You clearly didn't watch the video (or probably just don't understand what you're seeing due to your lack of football knowledge), but Watt is clearly "up" and has isolated 1-on-1 coverage responsibility when SB breaks into the "wheel route" from his RB position AFTER THE SNAP! SB simply runs by the defender assigned 1-on-1 responsibility to him in Wisconsin's "10 man up", press coverage defense and TM drops it over his shoulder after he runs right past his "isolated defender", Watt, for an easy PSU TD.
Bushwood in the my original response I asked, "suppose they bring 10 up? Fill every gap with a DL/LB, play press on the WR's, leave one back. What are you checking to?
Your response was the clip in the Wisky play. Ok great, that's the way Wisky played it, and it didnt work for Wisky. As I noted, Wisky wasnt playing '10 up' (you keep adding the man), they don't have 10 on the LOS (see above) they don't have ever gap filled with a LBer/DL do they? The LBers are off at normal depth, heck even some of the DB's aren't in press coverage, so while you know how to link a page the D Wisky is playing, it is not the D I referred to.
So stop playing checkers when the game is chess.

If Barkley's yards go down it will be because Miles Sanders gets the ball more. If our OL has improved this offense will be 500 plus yards many games and the Lion will be exhausted doing so many pushups. Go State!

Reactions: LionJim
Bushwood in the my original response I asked, "suppose they bring 10 up? Fill every gap with a DL/LB, play press on the WR's, leave one back. What are you checking to?
Your response was the clip in the Wisky play. Ok great, that's the way Wisky played it, and it didnt work for Wisky. As I noted, Wisky wasnt playing '10 up' (you keep adding the man), they don't have 10 on the LOS (see above) they don't have ever gap filled with a LBer/DL do they? The LBers are off at normal depth, heck even some of the DB's aren't in press coverage, so while you know how to link a page the D Wisky is playing, it is not the D I referred to.
So stop playing checkers when the game is chess.

Again, you're full of it - Wisco is absolutely playing "10 up press coverage" with a 2-deep look to the left-sde of the offensive field.....you just simply have no idea what you're looking at. On the snap, PSU countered with a wheel-route from the single-set RB, who was isolated man-on-man with a Wisco LB, Watt, due to their 10-man up press defense - specifically, the sideline wheel-route was run to the "empty side" (i.e., the side with no deep help for Wisco's isolated defender on Barkley, who again was Watt due to the overly-aggressive, stop-the-run defensive scheme). End result, SB runs right past Watt and TM drops it over his shoulder for an easy PSU TD that took advantage of the overly-aggressive Wisco D that had "10 men up"...

Again, you're full of it - Wisco is absolutely playing "10 up press coverage" with a 2-deep look to the left-sde of the offensive field.....you just simply have no idea what you're looking at. On the snap, PSU countered with a wheel-route from the single-set RB, who was isolated man-on-man with a Wisco LB, Watt, due to their 10-man up press defense - specifically, the sideline wheel-route was run to the "empty side" (i.e., the side with no deep help for Wisco's isolated defender on Barkley, who again was Watt due to the overly-aggressive, stop-the-run defensive scheme). End result, SB runs right past Watt and TM drops it over his shoulder for an easy PSU TD that took advantage of the overly-aggressive Wisco D that had "10 men up"...
again don't play checkers when the game is chess.
I don't care how Whisky plays it, I want to know how you would handle 10 up.
And for the last time, Wisky is playing 10 up, and I'll counter why.
1) the LBers are at normal depth, not in the A or B gap on the LOS
2) The DB on #5(?) is 8 yrs off the ball.
Now if you must know, Watt plays it poorly or was coached poorly. His job was to draw the block of the OT while the LBers blitzed. If SB goes out he has him man to man.
Now, Imo, Watt uses poor technique, if he keeps his outside arm free he could jab the OT with his right arm to draw the block, and then easily collision SB (legal in the backfield or 5 yrs down field) and eliminate the wheel. The Wisky safety is clearly out of position, he should have been shading the weak side as no way TS has the arm to throw it deep to the wide side of the field. So we have 2 errors right there. At worse Watt could have tackled SB down field, pulled him down etc, taken at most a 15 yd PI and lived to play another day.
Now that is all on Wisky.
I am finished talking about how Wisky played the play, I want to know how you would have played the play. And don't refer me back to Wisky as they didnt play 10 up!!

Now if you must know, Watt plays it poorly or was coached poorly. His job was to draw the block of the OT while the LBers blitzed. If SB goes out he has him man to man.
Now, Imo, Watt uses poor technique, if he keeps his outside arm free he could jab the OT with his right arm to draw the block, and then easily collision SB (legal in the backfield or 5 yrs down field) and eliminate the wheel. The Wisky safety is clearly out of position, he should have been shading the weak side as no way TS has the arm to throw it deep to the wide side of the field. So we have 2 errors right there. At worse Watt could have tackled SB down field, pulled him down etc, taken at most a 15 yd PI and lived to play another day.
I am finished talking about how Wisky played the play, I want to know how you would have played the play. And don't refer me back to Wisky as they didnt play 10 up!!

Again, you are simply wrong. If you run the video and stop it immediately (i.e., inside the first second), you will see that the defenders you reference (LBs, etc...) are racing forward just before and at the snap! (i.e., "pressing forward" contrary to your continued absurd insistence otherwise.)

The question was what PSU would do when teams loaded the box and played "10-men up" including jam/press coverage on receivers at LOS. And the answer is that PSU would likely select a "pass option" off their "RPO Play Call" (all JoMo plays have a "run or pass OPTION"), which ISOLATED a mismatch in man-coverage to the EMPTY side of the field (i.e., the side of the field that DOES NOT have the Safety-help back in a "2-deep look"), which AGAIN is precisely what PSU did in the play I linked via video resulting in an easy TD Pass to SB who simply blew past his overmatched ISOLATED "man coverage" for the easy TD Catch.

Last edited:

That wasn't a technique issue. Watt is one of the most sound players in all of college football from a technique standpoint. Wiscky was f@ed from the get go on that play because Watt had Barkley in man coverage. There is no way Watt was going to run with Barkley. As soon as TM saw the coverage, he gave a little ground because a blitzing LB was coming free. That gave Barkley time to separate and TM dropped a dime. And if you don't think Barkley could avoid a collision with Watt on the release, then we can agree to disagree.

As for your comments re the safety being out of position, there is ample tape of TM burning teams with big throws to the wide side of field. In fact, he connected with Blacknall on multiple outs in the against Wisky. TM also hit Charles on an out from close to opposite hash but he couldn't hold on to it. Moreover, Musso (the safety) had enough to worry about with his own responsibilities over the middle. The Wisky DBs were facing their worst nightmare that game because they had to cover the whole field and were getting victimized all over the place.

That wasn't a technique issue. Watt is one of the most sound players in all of college football from a technique standpoint. Wiscky was f@ed from the get go on that play because Watt had Barkley in man coverage. There is no way Watt was going to run with Barkley. As soon as TM saw the coverage, he gave a little ground because a blitzing LB was coming free. That gave Barkley time to separate and TM dropped a dime. And if you don't think Barkley could avoid a collision with Watt on the release, then we can agree to disagree.

As for your comments re the safety being out of position, there is ample tape of TM burning teams with big throws to the wide side of field. In fact, he connected with Blacknall on multiple outs in the against Wisky. TM also hit Charles on an out from close to opposite hash but he couldn't hold on to it. Moreover, Musso (the safety) had enough to worry about with his own responsibilities over the middle. The Wisky DBs were facing their worst nightmare that game because they had to cover the whole field and were getting victimized all over the place.
Well thanks for the intelligent answer. But we will agree to disagree
A first rd draft choice should have the ability to shuffle over and get a hit on SB, or turn and run with him better than what he did ,imo. The c to the field was in press, tough to run the out vs that. He did have the slot if he wanted as despite what Buschwood says, the DB was 8 yds off of him
Disagree vs the S. If he looks at the snap, SB is taking offf , imo he should have jumped the wheel as PSU used it before. Beside the ball is close or on the near hash, I'll take my chances on TS making the long hard throw to far hash , deep
But if you can make those arguments, unlike Buschwood, you will also know who ever has the chalk last wins!!!

Again, you are simply wrong. If you run the video and stop it immediately (i.e., inside the first second), you will see that the defenders you reference (LBs, etc...) are racing forward just before and at the snap! (i.e., "pressing forward" contrary to your continued absurd insistence otherwise.)

The question was what PSU would do when teams loaded the box and played "10-men up" including jam/press coverage on receivers at LOS. And the answer is that PSU would likely select a "pass option" off their "RPO Play Call" (all JoMo plays have a "run or pass OPTION"), which ISOLATED a mismatch in man-coverage to the EMPTY side of the field (i.e., the side of the field that DOES NOT have the Safety-help back in a "2-deep look"), which AGAIN is precisely what PSU did in the play I linked via video resulting in an easy TD Pass to SB who simply blew past his overmatched ISOLATED "man coverage" for the easy TD Catch.
Around that's what whisy lbers do post snap. I said what would u check to if pre snap they are on the LOS filling a gap (again pre snap not post snap, I m assuming u know the difference)

Doubtful his read pre snap is to throw the wheel in that situation.

Around that's what whisy lbers do post snap. I said what would u check to if pre snap they are on the LOS filling a gap (again pre snap not post snap, I m assuming u know the difference)

Doubtful his read pre snap is to throw the wheel in that situation.

Nope, they're moving forward prior to the snap. In the situation you keep stating - 10-men up in matched-up-man coverage on receivers with ONE SAFETY back in a "2-deep look" to one side - PSU would ABSOLUTELY go to the one of the PASS OPTIONS on the Run-Pass Option Play Called (again, all of JoMo's plays have both a Run or Pass OPTION associated with them depending on what the QB sees the defense doing just before and at the snap!). Specifically, TM would go to a PASS OPTION that appears to have a "mismatch" in coverage to the "empty side" of the field (i.e., the side of the field that does not have the Safety-Help back) -- IOW, precisely what PSU did on the play in the BCG that I linked the video to....

You keep implying that PSU didn't go to SB on the wheel-route AFTER THE SNAP from the RB position down the sideline of the empty-side of the field because they saw Watt ISOLATED in man-coverage against him with no deep help......and you couldn't be more wrong, no matter how many times you keep repeating the same wrong inanity!

ADVERTISEMENT