ADVERTISEMENT

With NIL end scholarships

Ban athletic scholarships, let kids negotiate their own financing .
Problem solved. Either way, I'm done.
It is funny I just wrote some very similar on the Pitt board. As you know I grew up a Pitt fan and not a PSU hater. Being from PGH I followed Pitt and Penn State even when I was at the Naval Academy. My suggestion is if a player has a deal that is greater than x ($25,000) then they have to pay for everything related to college and other perks e.g. training table, fitness center, tutoring, etc. I do think that this is the end of college football as we know it. Schools like Pitt, UVa, and UNC will continue to play one another. PSU will be playing with whatever that new universe looks like.

You hear my story about my sister? She was wait listed at Georgetown. She went to Harvard instead. Top of her class , mid 1400 SATs.
This was 1987 , back when John Thompson was saying it's racist to demand a 700 -750 on the SATs.
So a basketball player is Georgetown material but my sister wasn't.🤷‍♂️
It is funny I just wrote some very similar on the Pitt board. As you know I grew up a Pitt fan and not a PSU hater. Being from PGH I followed Pitt and Penn State even when I was at the Naval Academy. My suggestion is if a player has a deal that is greater than x ($25,000) then they have to pay for everything related to college and other perks e.g. training table, fitness center, tutoring, etc. I do think that this is the end of college football as we know it. Schools like Pitt, UVa, and UNC will continue to play one another. PSU will be playing with whatever that new universe looks like.

Reactions: bdgan and TFBaum
You hear my story about my sister? She was wait listed at Georgetown. She went to Harvard instead. Top of her class , mid 1400 SATs.
This was 1987 , back when John Thompson was saying it's racist to demand a 700 -750 on the SATs.
I did college admissions are basically a joke. My daughter got into Dartmouth and Penn but couldn't get into UVa because we live in Northern VA and she went to The Madeira School.

Here is what I don't understand, do schools like Alabama think I really care about watching them play LSU? The population of Pennsylvania is larger than those two states combined. The only reason I will watch any Big 10 team is if they are playing PSU. The only time last year I watched any SEC team was Pitt Tennesse. The premise that college football will result in a super 32-team league is a joke in my opinion. If it does I will still watch Navy I just don't want Navy to play the Ohio State-type programs. The only way this gets fixed is a school like UVa refuses to play a school like UGA.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Here is what I don't understand, do schools like Alabama think I really care about watching them play LSU? The population of Pennsylvania is larger than those two states combined. The only reason I will watch any Big 10 team is if they are playing PSU. The only time last year I watched any SEC team was Pitt Tennesse. The premise that college football will result in a super 32-team league is a joke in my opinion. If it does I will still watch Navy I just don't want Navy to play the Ohio State-type programs. The only way this gets fixed is a school like UVa refuses to play a school like UGA.
Yup. I watch Pitt first and foremost. After that, I’ll watch Penn State, WVU, Syracuse etc. if they’re on. I believe college football is still very much a regional sport, which is why a super league wouldn’t work like some think it would.

Reactions: TFBaum
I feel like that too. I'd love to know what the ratings are and how much money is actually being brought in. I don't mean the contracts per se because those are signed for however much and subsequently however much money is brought in. I mean, is the actual amount of money being brought in waning or not? I'd love to know.

I know that my interest is down. It's a different sport now than it was before and I like the old version better. It's that simple. But I don't know if people feel that way on a large scale or not.

I feel like that too. I'd love to know what the ratings are and how much money is actually being brought in. I don't mean the contracts per se because those are signed for however much and subsequently however much money is brought in. I mean, is the actual amount of money being brought in waning or not? I'd love to know.

I know that my interest is down. It's a different sport now than it was before and I like the old version better. It's that simple. But I don't know if people feel that way on a large scale or not.
I think certain schools are way overvalued like ND. As a Navy and UVa grad and a Pitt fan not a I hate PSU Pitt fan I can accept my three schools being non super conference. But if I was the AD of a non super conference school I would not schedule a super conference school in any sport. It is not sour grapes it is simple game theory. How many Alabama baseball games do they want to play against Auburn? Knowing that group probably every week

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
I've never understood the sentiment of punishing all athletes for the fact 20% of them are going to make some money. Its a really weird self serving sentiment. Schools are making hundreds of millions of dollars based on roughly 105 college athletes. Those athletes cost the school about 50k each a year in room, board, travel and equipment (give or take).
PSU nets about 50 million a year, to return 50 million on a 5 million investment is a crazy return. The school should be paying the players not NIL donors.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I've never understood the sentiment of punishing all athletes for the fact 20% of them are going to make some money. Its a really weird self serving sentiment. Schools are making hundreds of millions of dollars based on roughly 105 college athletes. Those athletes cost the school about 50k each a year in room, board, travel and equipment (give or take).
PSU nets about 50 million a year, to return 50 million on a 5 million investment is a crazy return. The school should be paying the players not NIL donors.
Not all schools are in the black with their athletic programs .

Reactions: bison13 and TFBaum
Believe it or not some people like the idea of the student athlete. I enjoyed that aspect of college football.
Things have changed and some people liked it better in the old days.

The concept of the “student athlete” disappeared in the 1980s. It has been semi-pro since, including at PSU.
All true , I graduated in 1985 and liked the idea that we were all students . Looking back I can see it was changing back then.
Joe tried but the money talked. Eric Hoffer wrote , " at first things start off as a good cause, then become a business, and eventually it becomes a racket." I might have the quote slightly wrong, but that's the gist of it.

Over the past few years my excitement for college ball has waned because of so many things. The student part is gone. The loyalty is gone. The team aspect is gone. The purity of the game is gone.
Like any corporation they sell you on brand loyalty, but where is the loyalty to the fans?

The concept of the “student athlete” disappeared in the 1980s. It has been semi-pro since, including at PSU.
Agree and anyone that disagrees should ask themselves "how many of these student athletes would be in college if it wasn't for athletics. And I'm including all schools including Michigan, ND, OSU and PSU. I get a laugh out of the fan bases that are constantly claiming "how we 100% do things the right way when it comes to academics. Here's a hint: all of the major football powers go after the top level - 4 and 5 stars - and make academic adjustments and anyone that disagrees is just walking around with their school blinders on

Agree and anyone that disagrees should ask themselves "how many of these student athletes would be in college if it wasn't for athletics. And I'm including all schools including Michigan, ND, OSU and PSU. I get a laugh out of the fan bases that are constantly claiming "how we 100% do things the right way when it comes to academics. Here's a hint: all of the major football powers go after the top level - 4 and 5 stars - and make academic adjustments and anyone that disagrees is just walking around with their school blinders on
All True, PSU's current rankings in the US New is mid 60s. There are a lot of big time athletic schools with higher ranking academically above them. ND, NW, Michigan, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Virginia, Duke, NC, I bet 25-30 of them and they all go after the same kids. And no one cares for academics anymore. they make sure kids get and stay eligible. I guess I just like the old, old days when there was a pretense of amateur, student athlete status.

Reactions: wolve1972
It been that way for ages. Same at Penn State. I would guess maybe a third of the players could get into Penn state and a third of those could get into main campus.

Not all schools are in the black with their athletic programs .
But almost all FBS football schools are making money off of football. The only reason why they aren’t in the black is because they have other sports that are a drain on the budget like wrestling, volleyball soccer ect.

When you meet someone from another university do you immediately begin to discuss the two schools endowment and entry requirements or do you talk about last football season or the epic game they played against each other 4 years ago?

Athletics and academics have been married since the beginning of higher education. Many colleges themselves are identified first by the public at large by their athletics programs. A high SAT score is a talent as is the ability to dunk a basketball or run a 4.4 forty, both are necessary to facilitate a top notch college environment. Typically, not always, they encompass a human being with differing personal strengths. Athletics has been tied to human existence since hunter gathers chased down game or gladiators filled the coliseum.

Sports and athletics is a huge sector of the US economy, like any other, generating tons of money from local level township recreation officers, to agents in law, to sports administrators, the people who maintain fields, golf courses and stadiums, to the athletes and coaches themselves. Stop pretending one has value and one doesn't.
Should institutions not be preparing people to take part in that area of society or the economy, because that seems contrary to the basic tenant of college in general?

Some people want to tell other people how "things are supposed to be." What a pathetic small man sentiment.

Last edited:
When you meet someone from another university do you immediately begin to discuss the two schools endowment and entry requirements or do you talk about last football season or the epic game they played against each other 4 years ago?

Athletics and academics have been married since the beginning of higher education. Many colleges themselves are identified first by the public at large by their athletics programs. A high SAT score is a talent as is the ability to dunk a basketball or run a 4.4 forty, both are necessary to facilitate a top notch college environment. Typically, not always, they encompass a human being with differing personal strengths. Athletics has been tied to human existence since hunter gathers chased down game or gladiators filled the coliseum.

Sports and athletics is a huge sector of the US economy, like any other, generating tons of money from local level township recreation officers, to agents in law, to sports administrators, the people who maintain fields, golf courses and stadiums, to the athletes and coaches themselves. Stop pretending one has value and one doesn't.
Should institutions not be preparing people to take part in that area of society or the economy, because that seems contrary to the basic tenant of college in general?

Some people want to tell other people how "things are supposed to be." What a pathetic small man sentiment.
Some of us don’t care. We liked the idea of student athletes. I’m sure life will go on but I don’t like the new system .
And when I meet people I don’t automatically talk colleges and college sports , there are other things in life.

But almost all FBS football schools are making money off of football. The only reason why they aren’t in the black is because they have other sports that are a drain on the budget like wrestling, volleyball soccer ect.
This is something that can be argued both ways. How many football programs are self sufficient and adding to the overall athletic budget? If there was no football would the schools be able to afford non revenue sports from the overall budget?
I’ve heard different numbers arguing both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT