ADVERTISEMENT

With Meyer's "retirement".....

You're right. I should have worded that better. But making the playoffs your first two seasons as a HC is very impressive. Riley's probably the hottest name in coaching right now. I'm not saying Ryan Day will be on that level but I do think he could have similar success. Hopefully he doesn't. I'd like Penn State to own him unlike what we did against Urban

Tressel's approach it is. Will be interested to see how quickly he can rebuild those relationships that have been neglected the past 7 years.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It is doubtful Day will have a winning percentage of .900 like Meyer. It just isn’t as easy as Meyer made it look. OSU will still be a top program but with Franklin and Harbaugh to deal with I wouldn’t be surprised if OSU took a step back.

Urban won 11+ games every year and beat Michigan seven straight times. Like they say, it’s tough to be the man after the Man.

Also very curious to see how long his very veteran assistant coaches hang around... Schiano... Johnson etc etc...

Meyer had the seniority and respect... Day is still raw...

I really don't see that much changes for Franklin, certainly I don't see that it's an automatic that he'll "take over the B1G." OSU will still be a tough out, Harbaugh is still at UM, and Dantonio is at MSU. Over the past three years, Franklin has won one game each against UM, OSU, and MSU. He's 3-9 against those schools . Meyer was 8-9 against PSU, MSU, and UM the past three years (only loss to PSU and they still made the CFP that year). If Franklin really is the coach we think he is, then 2-3 yearly against OSU, UM, and MSU is what he needs to achieve.

James Franklin is undeniably the best recruiter of talent in the B1G. I've talked about it before but now it's happening. Franklin is about to take over the B1G!
Let’s pump the brakes a little. CJF is a great recruiter, but tOSU is still the number one brand.

If anything i think pressure goes up on the likes of Franklin and Harbaugh now. There is a window now to become the elite team with the Urban Legend now out of Columbus so its up the university and Franklin to take that step forward and grab the brass ring.

If anything i think pressure goes up on the likes of Franklin and Harbaugh now. There is a window now to become the elite team with the Urban Legend now out of Columbus so its up the university and Franklin to take that step forward and grab the brass ring.

This. The opportunity to begin shifting the power structure in the division is there next season. Need to take advantage.

Oh I “forget” where I was going with that.

c35.gif
:cool: i see what you did.......also really cool gif

Can you imagine the pressure that’s now on Day ? And “ yikes” if expected he loses one or two assistant coaches.

They still have tremendous talent no doubt.., butvtodays Head Coaching jobs.. full time... really are like operating as Mini CEO’s... so much other stuff they have to deal with from expectations , to managing the business , recruiting , press , alumni etc etc.

Think Day is a talented young Coach but he follows a Legend..,expectations high.., eventually OSU will lose to Michigan., and whomever is Coaching the Buckeyes.,,has to deal with the backlash.,,

It’s just the standard that Meyer has created... top recruiting classes.., Top 5 rankings... top Bowl Games.,, in the conversation every year for National title contender..we will be there soon... buththats where OSU is now...

We need a few more cliches. PUMP. THE. BRAKES. :eek: NUMBER. ONE. BRAND. :eek:

;)
KEEP THE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR....
EASE OFF ON THE CLUTCH...
FAST & LOOSE
IT'S ALL ABOUT SPEED
HE'S ON THE DANCE FLOOR
POUND FOR POUND, HE'S THE BEST
HE HASN'T DUCKED ANYBODY
THE CAR'S RUNNING A LITTLE LOOSE
THE CAR MUST BE RUNNING ON FUMES
YOU DON'T WIN THE RACE ON THE FIRST LAP
HE JUST GAVE HIM A LITTLE BUMP TO LET HIM KNOW HE'S THERE.
HE GOT HIS LAP BACK
YOU'VE GOT TO FINISH TO WIN
THE GUYS IN THE PITS WON THIS FOR US :p

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Can you imagine the pressure that’s now on Day ? And “ yikes” if expected he loses one or two assistant coaches.

They still have tremendous talent no doubt.., butvtodays Head Coaching jobs.. full time... really are like operating as Mini CEO’s... so much other stuff they have to deal with from expectations , to managing the business , recruiting , press , alumni etc etc.

Think Day is a talented young Coach but he follows a Legend..,expectations high.., eventually OSU will lose to Michigan., and whomever is Coaching the Buckeyes.,,has to deal with the backlash.,,

It’s just the standard that Meyer has created... top recruiting classes.., Top 5 rankings... top Bowl Games.,, in the conversation every year for National title contender..we will be there soon... buththats where OSU is now...
I think everyone is jumping the gun. Remember, Meyer knows the program is in a great place for the transition.

So far, the 2019 class remains entirely committed. The roster is stacked, Day and the coaches did just fine without Meyer hands-on, MEYER will likely remain as a mentor, the coaching staff remains and will likely remain just as well-oiled as it was this season.

OSU won't likely be what it was under Meyer. But folks should hold off on the vacuum being created and the pressures on others.

I think everyone is jumping the gun. Remember, Meyer knows the program is in a great place for the transition.

So far, the 2019 class remains entirely committed. The roster is stacked, Day and the coaches did just fine without Meyer hands-on, MEYER will likely remain as a mentor, the coaching staff remains and will likely remain just as well-oiled as it was this season.

OSU won't likely be what it was under Meyer. But folks should hold off on the vacuum being created and the pressures on others.
The talent recruited by Meyer will help Day for the next year or two. Meyer did have some lucky wins the past couple years. If a couple bounces go against Day and they end up 9-3 for a couple years the OSU momentum may begin to slip. All of a sudden OSU isn't the premier Big Ten program.

Didn't everyone think OU would have a drop off between Stoops and Riley?
Truthfully, none of us have any idea. I think Day/Meyer could be very similar to Riley/Stoops but it could also be a disaster. It's going to be interesting
True, but jury is out on Riley. OU benefitted from a very down Big12 (virtually no Baylor, no TCU, no Tech, etc). Defense was bad even by Big12 standards (or lack thereof)

Much like Bama, OSU recruits itself when all is "normal". Could you imagine Franklin recruiting for a team like that?

Either way, give Franklin some more time and he will have PSU "recruiting itself" as well...

Reactions: ewb75
James Franklin is undeniably the best recruiter of talent in the B1G. I've talked about it before but now it's happening. Franklin is about to take over the B1G!

LOL. Delusional. Just like 1991 when Penn State was going to show the Big1 0 how to win national championships.

Franklin vs OSU 1-4
Franklin vs Michigan Harbaugh 1-3
Franklin vs MSU 1-4

Franklin has lost the majority of his one on one recruits to Michigan or OSU when that recruit was deciding between PSU Michigan or PSU OSU.

Are Franklin and his agent still floating false interest from SoCal for a salary increase?

When is Franklin going to be courted by the pros? He should be selling used cars.

Franklin lost Lavert HIll, Quinn Nordin, K Hudson, R Gary in the past, this year Mazi Smith, Treevor Keegan to Michigan and Zach Harrison to either OSU or Michigan.

Now lets hear the OSU 62 points kicked your ass and beat OSU response from PSU fans that know deep down PSU will never be the power in the BIG10 conference they long for.

I can already predict good old storminorm responding as I type this.

Last edited:
LOL. Delusional. Just like 1991 when Penn State was going to show the Big1 0 how to win national championships.

Franklin vs OSU 1-4
Franklin vs MSU 1-4

Franklin has lost the majority of his one on one recruits to Michigan or OSU when that recruit was deciding between PSU Michigan or PSU OSU.

Are Franklin and his agent still floating false interest from SoCal for a salary increase?

When is Franklin going to be courted by the pros? He should be selling used cars.

Franklin lost Lavert HIll, Quinn Nordin, K Hudson, R Gary in the past, this year Mazi Smith, Treevor Keegan to Michigan and Zach Harrison to either OSU or Michigan.

Now lets hear the OSU 62 points kicked your ass and beat OSU response from PSU fans that know deep down PSU will never be the power in the BIG10 conference they long for.

You're nothing but an arrogant asshole.

Last year’s Iowa team says hi.
Thanks for the correction. I had read somewhere that he only had 4 losses total to Big 10 teams which threw me off. I think that was an error. Iowa also beat them once, so I think he's lost 5 total.

Franklin vs OSU 1-4
Franklin vs MSU 1-4

And with all that great coaching and recruiting victories you still haven’t won jack###t in the BIG lately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT