ADVERTISEMENT

With Meyer's "retirement".....

LionsandBear

Dec 7, 2009
James Franklin is undeniably the best recruiter of talent in the B1G. I've talked about it before but now it's happening. Franklin is about to take over the B1G!

Reactions: ejb25
DayTime will tell.

Franklin was winning many of the head to head battles with Meyer. Wishful thinking if you think a 1st time head coach is going to have the same draw as Meyer did in the living rooms. Just wait until LJ Sr drops the hammer as well!

Reactions: baircub1!
I believe it's fair to say Franklin's the best recruiter in the Big Ten right now. In a couple years maybe it will be Brohm or Day but I don't think we could put them on Franklin's level at this point. They haven't proven it.

Guys like Patty Fitz are also great recruiters they just don't have Franklin's resources.

Honestly, Ohio State is always going to recruit great- regardless of the coaching. There are some schools that just will... and the Buckeyes are one of them. Day is not likely to be the recruiter that Urban is/was, but the Buckeyes are not driving off of a cliff either.

Honestly, look at what happened to Penn State in the midst of the worst possible scandal one could imagine where even the school’s administration was throwing the football program under the bus. Talent still came to the school, the team still won on the field.

Honestly, Ohio State is always going to recruit great- regardless of the coaching. There are some schools that just will... and the Buckeyes are one of them. Day is not likely to be the recruiter that Urban is/was, but the Buckeyes are not driving off of a cliff either.

as we know it is more than just the head coach with recruiting. Day will be fine and tOSU has the image with recruits. key early test will be Zach Harrison - local to Columbus and was always lean to tOSU. does tOSU keep him?

Reactions: ewb75

Schools that just will like USC and Texas and Michigan and Miami and Florida? Sure it’s possible OSU has no drop off but it’s far from certain just because they’re OSU. Equally big names in less competitive divisions have suffered downspells. Day looked good against cream puffs and a highly overrated tcu team that shot themselves in the foot repeatedly.

Schools that just will like USC and Texas and Michigan and Miami and Florida? Sure it’s possible OSU has no drop off but it’s far from certain just because they’re OSU. Equally big names in less competitive divisions have suffered downspells. Day looked good against cream puffs and a highly overrated tcu team that shot themselves in the foot repeatedly.
I’m sure everyone will feel Bama will take a step back when Saban retires, so I’m not sure why anyone thinks OSU won’t slip backwards to some degree.

Odds are that we won't recruit as well without Meyer. But I have a feeling we will be ok.

I’m sure everyone will feel Bama will take a step back when Saban retires, so I’m not sure why anyone thinks OSU won’t slip backwards to some degree.

Ignoring the Fickell year they went straight from Jim to Urban and people just assume it'll happen again. How have Urban's former assistants done as head coaches? Obviously Ash has been a complete disaster for Rutgers but hard to judge whether it's Ash or Rutgers that's to blame. Strong was a disaster for UT. Durkin was for Maryland. Herman has improved UT but they arent a powerhouse again. Addazio hasn't accomplished anything of note in a wide open division. Whittingham has been fine at Utah but hasn't come close to doing what Urban did there since joining the pac12.

Last edited:
Reactions: richie83
Odds are that we won't recruit as well without Meyer. But I have a feeling we will be ok.

You will recruit just fine but will have a drop off on the field. You can’t go from Meyer to anybody else without there being a drop off, honestly.

The real question is, is Day willing to do "whatever is necessary" to win, like Urban?

You will recruit just fine but will have a drop off on the field. You can’t go from Meyer to anybody else without there being a drop off, honestly.

Didn't everyone think OU would have a drop off between Stoops and Riley?
Truthfully, none of us have any idea. I think Day/Meyer could be very similar to Riley/Stoops but it could also be a disaster. It's going to be interesting

as we know it is more than just the head coach with recruiting. Day will be fine and tOSU has the image with recruits. key early test will be Zach Harrison - local to Columbus and was always lean to tOSU. does tOSU keep him?
Word in Ohio is Harrison is a strong Michigan lean. He was before Meyer announced his retirement.

Reactions: mn78psu83

Fastlax, I may be reading it wrong... and if so, apologies. But the problems faced by USC, Texas, Michigan, Miami, and Florida have more to do with coaching than talent. Each of those schools still has a roster full of talent that almost any other school not named Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State would love to have. And, I did not say they would not slide some.... but they are not going to dry up and disappear either. Alabama recruited great talent before Saban because they were Alabama (granted, it has skyrocketed since Saban put the dynasty together), not because kids were dying to play for Mike Dubose or Mike Shula. Even with the difficulties Penn State faced not so long ago, there were talented kids that wanted to play at Penn State- and that was way more difficult than just having a coach retire.

Now, as far as how Day will do coaching.... I have no clue. I think he will probably be fine, because he will have talent. But then again… so did Rich Rod. :D

I believe it's fair to say Franklin's the best recruiter in the Big Ten right now. In a couple years maybe it will be Brohm or Day but I don't think we could put them on Franklin's level at this point. They haven't proven it.

Guys like Patty Fitz are also great recruiters they just don't have Franklin's resources.

What do you think Franklin is “ really”’thinking right now ? With Urbs retirement,,,?

Didn't everyone think OU would have a drop off between Stoops and Riley?
Truthfully, none of us have any idea. I think Day/Meyer could be very similar to Riley/Stoops but it could also be a disaster. It's going to be interesting

Stoops was never in Meyer’s league, in my opinion.

I'm almost afraid to ask what this means.

Oh I “forget” where I was going with that.

c35.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
I agree with everyone. Meyer >>>>>>>>>>>>> Stoops in big games but Stoops is still highly regarded and Riley was a relative unknown. I think there's a valid comparison but I definitely understand your point.

That is kind of my point. Stoops was an upper echelon college football coach, but he was not in Meyer’s league. So if Day is on par with Stoops or Riley I still don’t think that puts him in Meyer’s league.

That is kind of my point. Stoops was an upper echelon college football coach, but he was not in Meyer’s league. So if Day is on par with Stoops or Riley I still don’t think that puts him in Meyer’s league.

Riley did make the playoffs in his only 2 years as a head coach. That's in Meyer's league IMO

It is doubtful Day will have a winning percentage of .900 like Meyer. It just isn’t as easy as Meyer made it look. OSU will still be a top program but with Franklin and Harbaugh to deal with I wouldn’t be surprised if OSU took a step back.

Urban won 11+ games every year and beat Michigan seven straight times. Like they say, it’s tough to be the man after the Man.

Fastlax, I may be reading it wrong... and if so, apologies. But the problems faced by USC, Texas, Michigan, Miami, and Florida have more to do with coaching than talent. Each of those schools still has a roster full of talent that almost any other school not named Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State would love to have. And, I did not say they would not slide some.... but they are not going to dry up and disappear either. Alabama recruited great talent before Saban because they were Alabama (granted, it has skyrocketed since Saban put the dynasty together), not because kids were dying to play for Mike Dubose or Mike Shula. Even with the difficulties Penn State faced not so long ago, there were talented kids that wanted to play at Penn State- and that was way more difficult than just having a coach retire.

Now, as far as how Day will do coaching.... I have no clue. I think he will probably be fine, because he will have talent. But then again… so did Rich Rod. :D

Fine is different than coaching at Urban Meyers level.

Reactions: ewb75
It’s all opinion of course. That said, I don’t think you join Meyer’s league in two seasons.

You're right. I should have worded that better. But making the playoffs your first two seasons as a HC is very impressive. Riley's probably the hottest name in coaching right now. I'm not saying Ryan Day will be on that level but I do think he could have similar success. Hopefully he doesn't. I'd like Penn State to own him unlike what we did against Urban

I wouldn't exactly say Urban owned us in the Franklin era

Urban owned the entire Big Ten during his tenure. What is Franklin's record against Meyer? 1-4. That's owning us. Yes, we were competitive in all but 1 but we didn't beat them just as no one else in the Big Ten really did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT