ADVERTISEMENT

With Berge retired, who do you think goes at 157 and 165 next year?

I started showing symptoms of Covid 9 days after getting the first Pfizer shot. It hit me like an illegal fist to the back for 2 weeks. I ended up getting the monoclonal antibodies after a week of suffering and finally started improving 2 days after that. It was rough.
Not surprising, a vaccination can initially knock the immune system down before protection is built up.

Notable results are he beat Victor Voinovich and took Facundo to SV (giving up a ton of size) We'll learn a ton next year when he can wrestle opens in the Fall first. Keep in mind, he also can redshirt next year.
If he redshirts then who goes 157?

And champion of the waif look! :)

1467930194594.jpg
Cutting a ton of weight this one

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
I wrestled 98 pounds my freshman and sophomore seasons. Then sucked from 125 pounds to 105 my entire junior season. I didn't wear the plastic suit. I wore the rubber lined suit. I used to change my long johns and shirt under the suit 3 times/practice. My usual diet was 2 poached eggs for breakfast in a cup, and then the same thing for dinner. After weigh-in I had jello and pasta. In my pictures that year I look like a concentration camp victim. Glad they don't allow that any more. My senior year I wrestled 132 and went 126 post-season. At Penn State Intramurals I wrestled 142 and 158. By the time I was 23 years old I was 190 pounds. Now I'm 220 carrying an extra 20 for good measure. My junior season made me lose my love for wrestling competitively.
I went 103 freshman, 112 sophomore, 152 junior, 171 senior I weigh 195 now I could afford to lose about 10 pounds

i sucked so much weight from 7th till 10th grade I got lucky I didn’t impead my growth

If I remember correctly, Lange lost his first match and wrestled the whole way back for third.
You are correct ..Lange wrestled 7 matches I believe to take 3rd place at NCAA's in Cleveland in 1998. He ended up beating (pinning) the guy who defeated him in the opening round. I was there and can tell you if felt amazing to watch what he did after suffering an unexpected and potentially devastating 1st round loss. The Penn State fans in Cleveland were 'so into' what he was accomplishing. He took 3rd but as far as we were concerned ..he won a championship.

See Bobby Weaver. Back then it was 118 in college and he was a 1x AA for Lehigh. However, he won a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics at 48kg (105.6 pounds) when he was 25 years old. I still remember him running laps around the mat carrying his baby kid. Talk about undersized. Yikes.

To this day, still the best HS wrestler I ever saw in person. He literally looked like he could do whatever he wanted to other kids. Unbelievably fast. Never got to see any of Spencer's so that compare is out.

I just want our 149 and 157lb guys to get the tar beaten out of them by Zain all summer. And, as a result, to be able to escape from bottom. Nothing irritates me more than watching a PSU guy get ridden for an entire period. I'd rather have a freshman get teched after 10 takedowns than get ridden for 5 and a half minutes.

I wrestled 98 pounds my freshman and sophomore seasons. Then sucked from 125 pounds to 105 my entire junior season. I didn't wear the plastic suit. I wore the rubber lined suit. I used to change my long johns and shirt under the suit 3 times/practice. My usual diet was 2 poached eggs for breakfast in a cup, and then the same thing for dinner. After weigh-in I had jello and pasta. In my pictures that year I look like a concentration camp victim. Glad they don't allow that any more. My senior year I wrestled 132 and went 126 post-season. At Penn State Intramurals I wrestled 142 and 158. By the time I was 23 years old I was 190 pounds. Now I'm 220 carrying an extra 20 for good measure. My junior season made me lose my love for wrestling competitively.
My sophomore year, I wrestled 126. We had a state placewinner at 119 and a kid who was pretty good who sucked down to 112 even though he was 3 inches taller then either the 119 or me. About half way through the season, he had to be hospitalized overnight after passing out from dehydration. I could beat him fairly easily when he was 112, but he came back 4 days later and challenged for 126 weighing 123 and I got my a-- kicked and spent the second half of that year as the JV 132.

I just want our 149 and 157lb guys to get the tar beaten out of them by Zain all summer. And, as a result, to be able to escape from bottom. Nothing irritates me more than watching a PSU guy get ridden for an entire period. I'd rather have a freshman get teched after 10 takedowns than get ridden for 5 and a half minutes.
Nick just beat Zain........ unless he isn’t moving to 149 now.:cool:

See Bobby Weaver. Back then it was 118 in college and he was a 1x AA for Lehigh. However, he won a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics at 48kg (105.6 pounds) when he was 25 years old. I still remember him running laps around the mat carrying his baby kid. Talk about undersized. Yikes.
He went to Blair for a year to adjust to the 118 weight. He had no holes in his game. He just was to small , I heard he would weigh in around 110-112 pounds in college.

You guys ever seen Vito's old man? He was an Oly bronze medalist for the USSR (from Azerbaijan) at 48kg. Vito looks small for 57kg (albeit purportedly 5'7") and towers over him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
I had a Vision......it was titled "Best Lineup" ie. #1______ ^^ ( I dream in Dingbat Font ) As best as I can figure it was:

125 Howard
133 RBY
141 N. Lee
149 Van Ness
157 Choose from the following: J. Lee, M. Lee, Barraclough, Boone, Transfer, Gardner, Verk (Just checking)
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Brooks
197 Beard
285 Kerkvilet

Let the bullets fly :)

I had a Vision......it was titled "Best Lineup" ie. #1______ ^^ ( I dream in Dingbat Font ) As best as I can figure it was:

125 Howard
133 RBY
141 N. Lee
149 Van Ness
157 Choose from the following: J. Lee, M. Lee, Barraclough, Boone, Transfer, Gardner, Verk (Just checking)
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Brooks
197 Beard
285 Kerkvilet

Are you thinking Bartlett needs a RS more than SVN does?

Buddy of mine who follows Michigan wrestling closely said "Do not discount Austin Boone" and after Cael sees him in live action, he'll realize any further recruiting at that weight the next few years is unnecessary. Full disclosure, he is a Michigan HS homer. He mentioned how Michigan kids often gets underrated (like both Gabe and Max, same HS) due to rules within the state that doesn't allow them to partake in big Folk tournaments and most of them aren't Freestyle trained so they struggle at like Fargo.

Screw it, I'll drink the Kool Aid.

125 Howard
133 RBY
141 N. Lee
149 Van Ness
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
18Let the bullets fly:)
We should be hearing from Hoosier Lion soon:)

Last edited:
It's hard to tell without seeing them side by side, but SVN looks significantly more filled out.

It's hard to tell without seeing them side by side, but SVN looks significantly more filled out.
with the eye test do we have pictures of their dads , grandpa...maybe from tweets? Insta, myspace, FB, something that a mom at a wrestling match might have taken???? something has to be out there!

maybe their cousins little moe with the gimpy leg, Cheecks, boney Bob, cliff.....This is where I think real data can be taken from in this exercise

Reactions: jtothemfp and Petch
So, if by chance Bartlett beats SVN for 149 spot, who would you run out there?
I think you have to go by common competition. I have a hard time seeing Bartlett produce at 149 ever due to his size, but I could see him beating SVN due to familiarity. Bartlett has historically owned that match up if I'm remembering right. I would pick Bartlett in the wrestle off, but SVN against the field, and the winner against the field should always go.

Another short season could take that away though. I think that's what happened at 184 for the hawks this year. I think Assad is much better against the field than Brands is, but got beat pretty bad head to head.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
I think you have to go by common competition. I have a hard time seeing Bartlett produce at 149 ever due to his size, but I could see him beating SVN due to familiarity. Bartlett has historically owned that match up if I'm remembering right. I would pick Bartlett in the wrestle off, but SVN against the field, and the winner against the field should always go.

Another short season could take that away though. I think that's what happened at 184 for the hawks this year. I think Assad is much better against the field than Brands is, but got beat pretty bad head to head.
I definitely disagree with this. If Bartlett wins, he wins. You can make it 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 or something to make sure it's not one fluky result, but if a guy earns a spot in the room, you have to let him have it. Only if he wins and then struggles "against the field" do you consider replacing him with a guy who he beat in a wrestle-off.

I definitely disagree with this. If Bartlett wins, he wins. You can make it 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 or something to make sure it's not one fluky result, but if a guy earns a spot in the room, you have to let him have it. Only if he wins and then struggles "against the field" do you consider replacing him with a guy who he beat in a wrestle-off.
Or Cael could just declare the starter. That's a much simpler algorithm.🤪

Cael makes no promises and picks starters,we’ve went over this.
We either trust him or we dont, but thats the way it is.

Reactions: js8793

125 Howard
133 RBY
141 N. Lee
149 Van Ness
165 Facundo
174 Starocci
184 Brooks
197 Beard
285 Kerkvilet

Wow, what a way to end a dual with those 4.

Reactions: jtothemfp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT