ADVERTISEMENT

With Berge retired, who do you think goes at 157 and 165 next year?

Who was Penn State's best 158lber ever?

Sidenote: In the last year of the old weights, PSU's John Lange took 3rd. The next year it changed to 157 and...

Casey Cunningham (CMU) beat Clint Musser (PSU) in the finals. Easton's Bryan Snyder was 4th. Princeton HC Chris Ayers was 6th.
If I remember correctly, Lange lost his first match and wrestled the whole way back for third.

I'm legitimately curious about the background of Terrell Barraclough, sounds like he was an unranked walk on. I believe he was committed to Army at one point as well. Any idea why he was so under the radar? I know he was a 4x Utah state champ. For the record, I've been pretty impressed with him. He went 18-4 in his redshirt year and had 2 one point losses to NQs (Storr and Thomas) this year. Per Brantt on 247, he beat Bartlett in the wrestleoff also.

i considered him for a big board ranking. he was solid, but came up just short, often times in the blood round of majors.

my nephew nipped him in blood round at Cadet trials a couple years ago, mostly b/c i was in the corner and totally out-coached Cyler. ;)

Don't i know it! in back to back years Casey knocked off my HS teammates on the front side. Billman in the quarters in '98, 8-5; Snyder in the semi's in '99, 1-0.

I'm still working my way up to forgiving him.
Maybe he will give you a crack at "the room" throne. You should lace them up and give it a go.

Not sure why the sarcastic replies , it’s a valid thought provoking question. He didn’t belittle anyone , just asked who do we think would be 157/165.

I think a transfer will come in for 149-165. We will need something better than we have to unseat iowa. I think 157 has the greatest potential for a transfer and I think with less covid protocol , the coaches can work with Lee to not always go for the home run and getting caught. But will it be successful??, not sure
It’s funny because of the frequency of the same question over and over. But, hey, we’re on second page here, so WTF, lets partake.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Kade Moss was also a 4X Utah state champ.
And champion of the waif look! :)

1467930194594.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jack66
Thankful I have this forum and this post to make me laugh. Started to feel like crap on Wednesday got tested Friday for Covid-19 and was positive. Kick in the butt was the previous Friday I got my First Mederna shot. Go figure.
Did you tell the people you wanted the covid PREVENTION shot or did you just tell them you wanted the covid shot? 🧐

Dilbert Cartoon

Thankful I have this forum and this post to make me laugh. Started to feel like crap on Wednesday got tested Friday for Covid-19 and was positive. Kick in the butt was the previous Friday I got my First Mederna shot. Go figure.
Same thing happened to my 79 year old father with COPD. They told him the shot saved his life,originally told him he would probably need the first shot AGAIN but then just decided to put the second shot off another week or 2.

Everything worked out fine CTS, stay positive brother!

I am curious if Manville competes for 165 andiAustin Boone could be a serious option at 157.

He did, but it was 142. Last year with the old weight classes.
Talking about old weights. High school had 98 lbs. I had a good friend finish 3rd in states his freshman year at 98. He moved up one weight his sophomore year but ended up getting hospitalized with issues from cutting weight. He went on to wrestle at Drexel.
It wasn't until I went to Bloomsburg and became friends with a couple of wrestlers that I realized the weight cut issues. Guys would wear plastic garbage bags in sauna and work out. Saw more than one guy near passing out from dehydration. Bloomsburg had a top 20 team that year. Iowa State visited Bloomsburg that year wearing their robes. Don Reese ended up tied ,no tiebreaker, to give Bloomsburg their only points.

I started showing symptoms of Covid 9 days after getting the first Pfizer shot. It hit me like an illegal fist to the back for 2 weeks. I ended up getting the monoclonal antibodies after a week of suffering and finally started improving 2 days after that. It was rough.

Last edited:
Has Austin Boone wrestled any of the upper tier guys at 157? Young? Deakin? Etc?

On the most recent Coffee Talk episode, Cenzo mentioned working with some of the younger guys who are just full throttle on better awareness (paraphrasing). If nothing else, sure sounds like there's recognition some guys just have to wrestle smarter.

Talking about old weights. High school had 98 lbs. I had a good friend finish 3rd in states his freshman year at 98. He moved up one weight his sophomore year but ended up getting hospitalized with issues from cutting weight. He went on to wrestle at Drexel.
It wasn't until I went to Bloomsburg and became friends with a couple of wrestlers that I realized the weight cut issues. Guys would wear plastic garbage bags in sauna and work out. Saw more than one guy near passing out from dehydration. Bloomsburg had a top 20 team that year. Iowa State visited Bloomsburg that year wearing their robes. Don Reese ended up tied ,no tiebreaker, to give Bloomsburg their only points.
I wrestled 98 pounds my freshman and sophomore seasons. Then sucked from 125 pounds to 105 my entire junior season. I didn't wear the plastic suit. I wore the rubber lined suit. I used to change my long johns and shirt under the suit 3 times/practice. My usual diet was 2 poached eggs for breakfast in a cup, and then the same thing for dinner. After weigh-in I had jello and pasta. In my pictures that year I look like a concentration camp victim. Glad they don't allow that any more. My senior year I wrestled 132 and went 126 post-season. At Penn State Intramurals I wrestled 142 and 158. By the time I was 23 years old I was 190 pounds. Now I'm 220 carrying an extra 20 for good measure. My junior season made me lose my love for wrestling competitively.

The jump to 125 in college hurt some really goid kids Trap Mccormick was a great wrestler but 125 a bit to big for him

Reactions: Crunched
The jump to 125 in college hurt some really goid kids Trap Mccormick was a great wrestler but 125 a bit to big for him

See Bobby Weaver. Back then it was 118 in college and he was a 1x AA for Lehigh. However, he won a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics at 48kg (105.6 pounds) when he was 25 years old. I still remember him running laps around the mat carrying his baby kid. Talk about undersized. Yikes.

Reactions: danoftw
I wrestled 98 pounds my freshman and sophomore seasons. Then sucked from 125 pounds to 105 my entire junior season. I didn't wear the plastic suit. I wore the rubber lined suit. I used to change my long johns and shirt under the suit 3 times/practice. My usual diet was 2 poached eggs for breakfast in a cup, and then the same thing for dinner. After weigh-in I had jello and pasta. In my pictures that year I look like a concentration camp victim. Glad they don't allow that any more. My senior year I wrestled 132 and went 126 post-season. At Penn State Intramurals I wrestled 142 and 158. By the time I was 23 years old I was 190 pounds. Now I'm 220 carrying an extra 20 for good measure. My junior season made me lose my love for wrestling competitively.
Back in the late 60's 9th grade was in Middle School. I wrestled 85 (weighed in at 83 all season). A fellow 9th grader weighed in at 83 as well but cut to 75 lbs so he could wrestle varsity. May not sound like much, but he cut 10% of his body weight. I can't phantom what you looked like losing 16%. I think he must be a producer on the Walking Dead these days as the Zombies remind me of what he looked like prior to weigh ins. The odd part is that in our wrestling room there were 5 guys in that 75-85 lb weight range. Different era.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I can totally relate to wrestling 98lb as a sophomore. I cannot relate to cutting weight or wearing plastic to do so, although I witnessed it.

I am curious if Manville competes for 165 andiAustin Boone could be a serious option at 157.

I feel Mason is past the point of being effective for folk. I feel there's a reason the best Greco wrestlers usually aren't folk talents (there are exceptions and I noticed it's often bigger weights) It's pointless to practice leg attacks if you want to be good at Greco but you obviously can't be effective in folk without it.

That being said, if he is willing to spend the year focused purely on it (no Greco practicing) then who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT