ADVERTISEMENT

Wish me luck....

nittanyfan333

Aug 30, 2010
Wife and I are starting potty training with our 2.5 year old today

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Boy or girl? Your first? We’re on the tail end of potty training my son which started at about the same age (he’ll be four in Oct.). My daughter was much easier. Are you trying a ‘method’ (three day, etc.)? Some swear by the three day no underwear method but that didn’t work for us. We had success by prompting every hour or so and then gradually increasing the time between going. Definitely a marathon and not a race. Of course you have to resist the urge to punch friends who say “oh my son has been trained since he was two - just decided he didn’t want to wear diapers anymore.” Good luck!

Boy or girl? Your first? We’re on the tail end of potty training my son which started at about the same age (he’ll be four in Oct.). My daughter was much easier. Are you trying a ‘method’ (three day, etc.)? Some swear by the three day no underwear method but that didn’t work for us. We had success by prompting every hour or so and then gradually increasing the time between going. Definitely a marathon and not a race. Of course you have to resist the urge to punch friends who say “oh my son has been trained since he was two - just decided he didn’t want to wear diapers anymore.” Good luck!

first. Son. We’re doing the Brandi Brucke “3 day method”. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks man!

Not a potty training story but when my daughter was newborn, we gave her her first bath in one of those plastic tubs for newborns. As soon as we put her in the water, she pooped. We took her out, cleaned the tub, put her back in the water, pooped again. This continued for about 8 times. My wife and I were laughing at how ridiculous it was. I swear there was a violation of the conservation of matter going on, there is no way such a small thing can have that much poop in it.

Not a potty training story but when my daughter was newborn, we gave her her first bath in one of those plastic tubs for newborns. As soon as we put her in the water, she pooped. We took her out, cleaned the tub, put her back in the water, pooped again. This continued for about 8 times. My wife and I were laughing at how ridiculous it was. I swear there was a violation of the conservation of matter going on, there is no way such a small thing can have that much poop in it.
Same thing happened with my daughter, but she only pooped twice.

Not sure what that is, but I just taught my boy to take a wiz outside. He thought it was fun and it got him used to knowing when to go... ha. My wife didn’t think it was as funny as I did.

oh that’s GONNA happen. Hell I piss off my back patio.... in the subdivision I live in..... with my 2 story neighbor’s house 30 yards behind mine.... pretty sure she’s seen my little pecker numerous times. My city wife doesn’t approve of the outdoor peeing though, so might get some pushback on my kid learning it but oh well.

valid point. Which begs the question at what age can you stop playing the “whelp.... it’s just a kid being a kid”

This happened to us at a water park. My then 4yr old told me he had to pee. I said "ok" and turned around to get my sandals and towel. Me saying "ok" must have meant to him that he was free to go ahead and pee. When I turned back around he had his swim shorts down around his ankles and was full stream right in front of all the people at the wave pool. Got some funny looks and a "hey, it happens" head nod from another Dad.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
...our best story occurred at a Sears store about 50 years ago ...
... we were shopping with our 3 kids - ages 4, 6 and 8 - in the plumbing department ... my wife and I were trying to decide on a tub and shower or just a shower only for our guest room bathroom when our 8 year old tugged at my arm and said, “Look at what Joey’s (4 yr old) doin’ over there”...
... he was taking a crap in a display toilet at the end of the aisle!!!...

giphy.gif
Get a gum ball machine, fill it with gum balls and show them how a penny can get a gum ball. Give them a penny or two for a few days. Later, change the rule that they can have a penny when they use the potty. It works like a charm.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Get a gum ball machine, fill it with gum balls and show them how a penny can get a gum ball. Give them a penny or two for a few days. Later, change the rule that they can have a penny when they use the potty. It works like a charm.
Not a bad idea. My wife likes to chew gum too. Maybe I can use some variation of this.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

giphy.gif

boy or girl? I have a 3.4yo girl so I know what you are about to experience.
We didn't do this, but have heard of a lot of parents eventually do a "naked weekend" where their toddler has no pants on and they pretty much figure it out in a weekend. Good Luck!

You guys are killing me with this thread. Never had kids. Tears ate rolling down my cheeks from the laughter.

I hope you have it easy like I did. My kids both just decided to use the potty and never had a problem thereafter. I think not pushing helps, but I was probably just lucky. Good luck. My wife ran a preschool and they continued to have 5 & 6 year olds who would still caused grief, primarily to get back at the teacher.

Reactions: ralphster
...our best story occurred at a Sears store about 50 years ago ...
... we were shopping with our 3 kids - ages 4, 6 and 8 - in the plumbing department ... my wife and I were trying to decide on a tub and shower or just a shower only for our guest room bathroom when our 8 year old tugged at my arm and said, “Look at what Joey’s (4 yr old) doin’ over there”...
... he was taking a crap in a display toilet at the end of the aisle!!!...

Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

You guys are killing me with this thread. Never had kids. Tears ate rolling down my cheeks from the laughter.

I can honestly tell you that some of the hardest times I’ve laughed in my 37 years have been at my kids. Conversely some of the most frustrating enraged moments of my life have been at my kids. And they’re only 6 months and 2.5 years.

Outside of the lack of sleep, lack of alone time, lack of personal time with the wife, copious amounts of money it takes to raise them and General frustration that comes with them, my kids are the greatest thing that has happened to me in my life, and I’m willing to bet that every parent on here feels the same way. Cliche but true.

Think of the worst parents you have ever heard of. Realize that their child most likely went to Kindergarten in underpants, not diapers. Getting rid of diapers will happen even if you do nothing at all. Cut yourself a break. This is not something to stress about. At all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT