ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Workouts and Spring Practice progress and reports thread

Good call-outs. Other than Cain, I think we have that "fall forward" back in Lee as well. I think what this group is missing is the "take it the distance on any touch" RB to really take the run game to another level. Some good candidates between Holmes, Lovett, and Ford.

I think I'm going to jump on the OLINE bandwagon this preseason. IMO, Walker and Wallace are the two best tackles PSU has in a decade or more. I also love what Scruggs did down the stretch last season at guard - his ability to pull (and do it well!) broke some huge plays.
Sorry but this is a yearly thing with the line. Every year is supposed to be the year this team finally has the offensive line we want and every year Lucy pulls the ball away from Charlie. I will believe it when I see it.

Reactions: OhioLion
Sorry but this is a yearly thing with the line. Every year is supposed to be the year this team finally has the offensive line we want and every year Lucy pulls the ball away from Charlie. I will believe it when I see it.
This a recent phenomenon. Back in Joe’s day, the Oline was often the envy of college football. They were both tough and athletic (tough has been missing in action at PSU for years). Recruiting has been decent...results? - not so much.

This a recent phenomenon. Back in Joe’s day, the Oline was often the envy of college football. They were both tough and athletic (tough has been missing in action at PSU for years). Recruiting has been decent...results? - not so much.
O lines that are consistently "physical" are getting as rare as Sasquatch. Even in high schools the spread has changed everything. Add the style changes to the model of "getting to the show" ....in which recruits wish to hear about a 3 year plan as opposed to a 5 year plan (IMO OL prospects are among the hardest to identify and profit most from the extra time spent in college).

Hope springs eternal
  • The OL coach appears to be very good (time will tell but he has produced good results elsewhere and gets good comments from current PSU players)
  • Two bookend tackles, Wallace and Walker, who have size, ability, and experience
  • Experienced players to fill the 3 interior positions including Miranda and Scruggs
  • Talent and power at Running Back
  • A very important factor IMO -- Tight Ends who are good blockers, and PSU has 2 in Strange and Johnson
Can the new O-coordinator fashion a good running game out of this? I think so.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Hope springs eternal
  • The OL coach appears to be very good (time will tell but he has produced good results elsewhere and gets good comments from current PSU players)
  • Two bookend tackles, Wallace and Walker, who have size, ability, and experience
  • Experienced players to fill the 3 interior positions including Miranda and Scruggs
  • A very important factor IMO -- Tight Ends who are good blockers, and PSU has 2 in Strange and Johnson
I would like to throw in the name of Tyler Warren at TE. He will likely not be the pass catching threat like Strange and Johnson...but according to what I've observed he can block!

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Hope springs eternal
Despite all the hand wringing associated with the QB position....If Clifford stays healthy, I think the offense will be very good. I'm more concerned with the defense. There is reason for optimism in the secondary and perhaps at LB....but I'm concerned if there are playmakers up front to funnel the action to the second level of the defense.
If we have some surprises up front, this team could be 9-3 or 10-2 regular season. If they escape Wisky healthy and with a W it could be interesting.

Reactions: royboy and ram2020
Hope springs eternal
Again, this is nothing more than lather rinse repeat from the last 10 to 15 years. When the season comes around the exact same results.

It's almost comical how many times the possibility of Luketa switching positions has been mentioned without any concrete position he would or could practice at. But if he is staying on defense it seems that DE would be the only spot a 6'3" 255 lb player could play.

But with the absence of a public plan, maybe he is going to play fullback on offense!!! ;) ;)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT