ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Workouts and Spring Practice progress and reports thread

I think it's a guarantee that the PSU coaches spend a lot of time here, learning from the 2 dozen or more accomplished posters....to say nothing about the wealth of wisdom displayed here by folks that have never played the game. I'll bet surgeons would visit here to learn if we had more medical related threads.
Well, I have high confidence that Dr Levine would learn a lot about Covid if she spent time reading threads here on that topic.

• Haha
Reactions: GreggK and bison13
One of the things that would be nice to see in Yurcich’s offense is Clifford running less. Clifford is a decent runner and a tough kid, but he isn’t Michael Robinson. Plus, there isn’t much behind him now that Levis and Bowens departed.
There appear to be some potent weapons at RB, TE and WR on this offense and the OL should be adequate. I don’t want to see Clifford as the featured rusher again.

One of the things that would be nice to see in Yurcich’s offense is Clifford running less. Clifford is a decent runner and a tough kid, but he isn’t Michael Robinson. Plus, there isn’t much behind him now that Levis and Bowens departed.
There appear to be some potent weapons at RB, TE and WR on this offense and the OL should be adequate. I don’t want to see Clifford as the featured rusher again.
MY has actually said he wants his QBs getting down on keepers and protecting themselves. It will be of vital importance this year considering depth.

Reactions: BBrown and BOSCO2
A look at the shake out for the OL, as well as depth....

Yawn. Sorry but this is an annual thing in this program. Every year in the spring everyone says this is finally the year psu has an o line...and then every fall they prove the fans fickle.....Sorry but fool me once shame on you, fool me 20 times in a row since 2002, shame on me.

Yawn. Sorry but this is an annual thing in this program. Every year in the spring everyone says this is finally the year psu has an o line...and then every fall they prove the fans fickle.....Sorry but fool me once shame on you, fool me 20 times in a row since 2002, shame on m

Yawn?

Nothing to be sorry for, other than directing your ire towards me. Obviously I didn’t write it.....

Yawn?

Nothing to be sorry for, other than directing your ire towards me. Obviously I didn’t write it.....
Sorry for the misunderstanding, it's not directed your way...I'm just over it with the annual "this is the year for the o line" propaganda. It's always the same old song come September.

Yawn. Sorry but this is an annual thing in this program. Every year in the spring everyone says this is finally the year psu has an o line...and then every fall they prove the fans fickle.....Sorry but fool me once shame on you, fool me 20 times in a row since 2002, shame on me.
FWIW, the author begins with something of a disclaimer along the lines of “ we have heard this before “.
It is no stretch to expect this OL to be above average. How much above average remains to be seen, of course.
The question is whether having a new system is going to help or hurt their efforts to open holes and protect the QB ?
One thing that would help is having better weapons on offense and being able to turn them loose. The OL is helped when the defense can’t jam the box consistently because they are worried about big plays.

I understand your skepticism, but I do think there is reason for optimism.

Second year with the new OLine coach with a spring practice under their belts
Some star power potential
Experience at both Tackle positions and center
Quality competition for starting guard spots
Apparent solid depth

Last edited:
Last edited:
Daniel George ? How about KLS ?

JMO but I think George has more to prove, especially since he's older and if he doesn't make a big move may find himself either on the defensive side (I still say he's a Safety candidate) or in the portal.

I may have reached the point of moving on from hoping that George emerges - I think my new favorite "looks the part, will be the next big thing" player is Malick Meiga. That kid is built different.

He is a beast for sure, but we have seen this body type on the outside in blue and white before....as in Shorter and Johnson. The big questions are, can he get open and can he CATCH. I'm less and less impressed with physical stature and size in receivers and more into them getting open and catching. Dotson and washington don't look like this guy or even George, but they run good routes and they catch. In fact, when was the last really big really fast WR we have had that met or exceeded expectations?

He is a beast for sure, but we have seen this body type on the outside in blue and white before....as in Shorter and Johnson. The big questions are, can he get open and can he CATCH. I'm less and less impressed with physical stature and size in receivers and more into them getting open and catching. Dotson and washington don't look like this guy or even George, but they run good routes and they catch. In fact, when was the last really big really fast WR we have had that met or exceeded expectations?
I agree, too often both coaches and fans become intrigued by measurables and physical stature. However the most important component of a great receiver always has been his ability to catch virtually every ball thrown in his direction. Wether he’s alone or in traffic, standing still or running, jumping or diving thru the air. Oh yes, and occasionally blocking someone when the balls 🏈 not in his hands. Of course if he also has great speed and looks fantastic in pads then that’s an added plus.

Reactions: ram2020
I agree, too often both coaches and fans become intrigued by measurables and physical stature. However the most important component of a great receiver always has been his ability to catch virtually every ball thrown in his direction. Wether he’s alone or in traffic, standing still or running, jumping or diving thru the air. Oh yes, and occasionally blocking someone when the balls 🏈 not in his hands. Of course if he also has great speed and looks fantastic in pads then that’s an added plus.

Exactly, and really what is the benefit of a 6"4 receiver, honestly? "Well, he can jump over people and catch the ball at the high point in the air." Totally awesome and cool, but we typically don't throw that type of ball, at least not where you traditionally see it thrown, the redzone. In fact, guys like Kuntz or Shorter or Johnson, never really were the target of those wildly maddening "fade" routes in the end zone. We typically reserve those for the Hammler's and Washington's of the world, so again, why have monster receivers? You know who I have seen get higher than a DB and make contested catches as of late? Dotson(think OSU). It's about body control, awareness, hands, etc. Simply being tall isn't really the primary aspect in a "jump ball," sure, its helpful if you have
A. Gotten Relatively Open
B. If you can actually catch the thing

I'd put ARob and Godwin in the category of pretty big college WR's that exceeded expectations. ARob is at least 6'2" and was, and is, a jump ball warrior. And Godwin was the dominator of 50-50 balls. But they both also made all the routine catches as well.

Bottom line is that if you are a WR and you can't consistently catch a football in a football game you really are not a WR. And I hope our current WR coach has that quality at the top of his must have's WR recruit list, because it must not have been at the top for some of the past PSU WR recruit evaluators.........

Last edited:
Reactions: LMTLION and ram2020
I doubt anyone will see a lot of Lovett in a scrimmage. I think his talent is proven. Same with the DE from Temple and DT from Duke. They all (barring injury) will be in the game rotation.

On mobile and having issues with the link. Any help is appreciated, if not once on laptop I’ll edit.

But Pickel just tweeted that Franklin called Kalen King “probably the most advanced freshman we’ve had since we’ve been here.”

So Ellis is being given the starting spot at the mic again?

I assume you are talking about Brooks at the Mike LB? And not Ellis the CB?

From what has gotten out Smith is moving to replace Luketa at Parsons previous spot, and Jacobs is replacing Smith outside. So it would seem that Brooks and Luketa will battle it out to play at Mike, possibly both play there somewhat equally. With the depth coming from Katshir, Elsdon, and the true freshmen (King, and Buddin when he gets there in the summer).

I doubt anyone will see a lot of Lovett in a scrimmage. I think his talent is proven. Same with the DE from Temple and DT from Duke. They all (barring injury) will be in the game rotation.
Unless you are a freshman at Penn State, no one will see anything.

I guess it’s too much to expect after filling a 107,000 seat stadium - even during some relatively mediocre years.

ADVERTISEMENT