ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Workouts and Spring Practice progress and reports thread

Miranda gonna be a beast down low next to Juice (or visa versa???). Last year gonna be a good one Michael. Back to back at C.

This time the crown...again! Maybe more?

Yep, Beamon at 269 was a big surprise to me as well. I just did a search for his previous weight and last year's Spring depth chart listed him a 286 or 288. I believe he a 3 tech DT which are typically a little lighter and quicker but 269 sure does seem more typical of a DE.

Last season he was touted a being a very quick and active DT, already having added weight in the S&C program, so it is hard to believe he lost that weight to re-sculpt his body. Possibly he was recently sick and lost weight due to it, or maybe he is getting a try at DE........
Beamon might have had COVID and lost weight. I saw Shaka Toney mention that he had it in January and lost 20 LBs.

Reactions: GregInPitt
And nobody wants to admit it but Joe was on the hot seat plenty of times on this message board!
The "Joe must go" crowd would never admit that today.
I’m your huckleberry...

I love and respect Joe for what he stood for, what he accomplished, and the positive impact he had on so many young men’s lives. That said, since you asked fo it, Joe should have retired in 99 or 00.

Not the kind of mistake that has any real ramifications, but the Athletic Dept has had a couple weeks to correct the roster and has not done so to this point.....
We need an associate Athletic Director of Sports Typos.

tenor.gif

Every year we hear glowing reports of "freakish" talent and incredible progress. For me at least, this comes as a contrast to the way coaches "poor mouthed" their teams back in the day.
I understand that today's athletes are a different breed and seem to need constant attention and approval. However, to the fans who soak up all the accolades....regardless if its from Gault or the daily tweets that come from the position coaches.....it seems that performance on game day rarely measures up.
If a fan is gullible and believes all the hype, it leads to predications of 15-0 and a miserable season when your team "only" goes 9-3.
9-3 would be awesome, seeing how the record last year was 4-5

• born May 2, 1006
  • Parents are Heather Thurston and Mike Eierman. Has one sister, Josie
  • Communications major
Non Traditional student athlete?

Well, kind of interesting; turns out this happened in 1006

The cosmic event of the greatest visual magnitude recorded in human history is believed to have taken place in the year AD 1006 and was widely observed from different places on Earth. April 30, May 1 mark its anniversary as we are reminded that thousands of years ago, ancient civilizations across the world developed astonishing astronomical capabilities, observing distant stars and cosmic events.

The supernova is known today as SN and to was observed by ancient civilizations across the globe. The extremely bright event was mentioned by astronomers from Asia to Africa and witnessed across all continents.

SN_1006-scaled.jpg

Reactions: Chris92
I've heard good things about the RB transfer. So I am unconcerned about RB and the third WR. We are very thin at QB. That is my only real concern on offense.

Reactions: SR108 and 7-Pointer
I've heard good things about the RB transfer. So I am unconcerned about RB and the third WR. We are very thin at QB. That is my only real concern on offense.

On paper, having 2 returning talented and experienced WR's in Dotson and Washington, and a number of other WR's that have talent, should produce a good group. But the past few years we have not had much WR playmaking depth show up beyond the starters. And some starters have not done much, George for example, who has gotten lots of chances the last few years.

So PSU really does need legit, dependable, 3rd and 4th WR's to step up and make plays. Lots of candidates, but it seems that has been the case the last few years as well.

And then we also need Clifford to look beyond Dotson and Washington on a regular basis to keep the defenses honest as well..... ;)

Reactions: Obliviax
RB does not look to be a problem. It looks like a pretty deep and talented rotation. WR could be an issue if we don’t have a solid third option. But the TE’s look so promising, I am not too concerned even if we don’t find a reliable third contributor at WR.
QB is, by far, the biggest concern. We lost three scholarship players there and gained only one. Levis was a reliable backup. He did not have as much ability as a passer as Clifford, but he ran better and usually didn’t make risky throws.

Reactions: BBrown
Before the retired coaches come after me about knowing nothing about football, let me preface this by saying...Franklin has forgotten more football than I will ever know.....Cool? cool

The fact that we have never ever used tempo on offense has been one of the more perplexing things in our offense since Franklin has been here. Always, without any doubt, we get to the line, we get in position, we kind of give window dressing that we may snap the ball quickly.....then our QB looks to the sideline. Every single play without fail. At different points when our offense has been totally bogged down, I have been amazed we don't just have 2 plays called, get to the line once, and just go before looking to the sideline. I get the concept of "check-with me" and determining what the defense is in and where we have numbers, but if you never snap it before the sideline check, the defense will absolutely line up in some alignment then shift after the check with me. If Mike Y does nothing else besides increase tempo, I think we can be a way better offense. I am encouraged by Franklins comment here:

“Tempo is a weapon,” Franklin said. “If you don’t have a true tempo in your offense, it’s hard to get your defense ready for it. And to be honest with you, we’ve never been tempo.”

RB does not look to be a problem. It looks like a pretty deep and talented rotation. WR could be an issue if we don’t have a solid third option. But the TE’s look so promising, I am not too concerned even if we don’t find a reliable third contributor at WR.
QB is, by far, the biggest concern. We lost three scholarship players there and gained only one. Levis was a reliable backup. He did not have as much ability as a passer as Clifford, but he ran better and usually didn’t make risky throws.

With the direction college football is going, wide receiver is one of the most important positions to have now, and just having 2 guys wont cut it anymore if you want to beat OSU and make the playoffs. Look at their depth chart, them having Olave, Wilson, Williams, Fleming, and Smith-Njigba among others is just ridiculous.

IMO the QB to take PSU to the next level is probably not currently on the roster, all due respect to the guys that they have now.

Before the retired coaches come after me about knowing nothing about football, let me preface this by saying...Franklin has forgotten more football than I will ever know.....Cool? cool

The fact that we have never ever used tempo on offense has been one of the more perplexing things in our offense since Franklin has been here. Always, without any doubt, we get to the line, we get in position, we kind of give window dressing that we may snap the ball quickly.....then our QB looks to the sideline. Every single play without fail. At different points when our offense has been totally bogged down, I have been amazed we don't just have 2 plays called, get to the line once, and just go before looking to the sideline. I get the concept of "check-with me" and determining what the defense is in and where we have numbers, but if you never snap it before the sideline check, the defense will absolutely line up in some alignment then shift after the check with me. If Mike Y does nothing else besides increase tempo, I think we can be a way better offense. I am encouraged by Franklins comment here:

“Tempo is a weapon,” Franklin said. “If you don’t have a true tempo in your offense, it’s hard to get your defense ready for it. And to be honest with you, we’ve never been tempo.”
That’s a reasonable opinion and a fair criticism. Upbeat tempo is an effective weapon to keep opponents confused in many of life’s endeavors. Actually women have been effectively using it against us for centuries. But back to football
, anyone that finds fault with your post is just being either being a lapdog coach defender or argumentative. In any event why worry about what either group thinks?

Now that Teeke Smith has ended up at UGA, it's great to hear that Brown is having a great Spring practice at Safety.

Brown ( Tig ) looked decent in limited snaps last season. Really good news that he has coverage ability.
Sutherland improved somewhat last year, but he appears to be more of a run defense guy.

I agree, we have very solid talent everywhere on offense other than QB. Hopefully Clifford will break out and stay healthy. My only big concern regarding the offense is that we have another new coordinator with a new playbook. At least we have spring practice this year.

Reactions: Obliviax

+1. There were countless times, last season, where we could have picked up easy yards by just snapping the ball when the defense was still running people on and off the field.

Before the retired coaches come after me about knowing nothing about football, let me preface this by saying...Franklin has forgotten more football than I will ever know.....
I agree with this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT