ADVERTISEMENT

WIN Magazine ranks Iowa preseason #1

I think the point was that any prediction that includes Marinelli losing to Cenzo probably shouldn't be viewed as "a come to Jesus perfect storm" for Iowa.
Thanks for the clarification. I missed that.

I think the point was that any prediction that includes Marinelli losing to Cenzo probably shouldn't be viewed as "a come to Jesus perfect storm" for Iowa.
149 Lugo over Verkleeren
157 Young over Berge
165 Cenzo over Marinelli
197 Warner over Conel

Iowa winning 3 of 4 toss ups to squeak out a one point victory is pretty close to a perfect storm for Iowa.

149 Lugo over Verkleeren
157 Young over Berge
165 Cenzo over Marinelli
197 Warner over Conel

Iowa winning 3 of 4 toss ups to squeak out a one point victory is pretty close to a perfect storm for Iowa.

Let's do an "on paper" matchup based on prior results. This is not my prediction. This is just based on prior results and NCAA finishes.

125 Spencer TF 5-0 Iowa
133 DeSanto Dec RBY 8-0 Iowa (Nope, Teasdale isn't beating DeSanto in the room and forcing him to move up to 141)
141 Nick Dec Murin 8-3 Iowa
149 Lugo Dec Verk 11-3 Iowa
157 Young Dec Berge 14-3 Iowa
165 Marinelli Dec Joseph 17-3 Iowa
174 Hall Dec Kemerer 17-6 Iowa
184 Rasheed MD $ 17-10 Iowa
197 Conel Dec Warnerov 17-13 Iowa
Heavy Cassar MD Cass 17-17

Iowa wins on criteria. And this is the best case scenario for Iowa. As Nitlion6 said, pretty much a perfect storm.

I already bet wasdt $100 that Berge will beat Young. I really do like Cassioppi's style of wrestling but I think it plays into Cassar's strength and could end in a TF or fall. And I would never bet against Joseph even though he's 0-2 against Marinelli. It will be a blast when Penn State goes into Carver and "upsets" #1 Iowa.

Let's do an "on paper" matchup based on prior results. This is not my prediction. This is just based on prior results and NCAA finishes.

125 Spencer TF 5-0 Iowa
133 DeSanto Dec RBY 8-0 Iowa (Nope, Teasdale isn't beating DeSanto in the room and forcing him to move up to 141)

Iowa wins on criteria. And this is the best case scenario for Iowa. As Nitlion6 said, pretty much a perfect storm.

I already bet wasdt $100 that Berge will beat Young. I really do like Cassioppi's style of wrestling but I think it plays into Cassar's strength and could end in a TF or fall. And I would never bet against Joseph even though he's 0-2 against Marinelli. It will be a blast when Penn State goes into Carver and "upsets" #1 Iowa.
I do not think the Teasdale-DeSanto issue is a matter of someone beating another in the room. Teasdale at 33 and DeSanto at 41 might be better than Desanto-Murin. Though I thinknif they went Teasdale-DeSanto it is better for us as I think RBY and Lee win both.

I hope you guys are right. I see the dual as a toss-up based on what we know now, maybe PSU a slight favorite assuming RBY and Hall wrestle. It just doesn't seem to me like all of the planets have to align for Iowa to win.

It will be fun for sure but there is a better chance that the Hawks crap the bed then hit a Perfect Storm....

Its early........... no knee injuries, shoulder injuries or friendly fire have kicked in yet. Give it time.

By the duel at least one of the 3 will have happened to a starter......then it will be the "only if" crowd filling the tHR with their babble

Its early........... no knee injuries, shoulder injuries or friendly fire have kicked in yet. Give it time.

By the duel at least one of the 3 will have happened to a starter......then it will be the "only if" crowd filling the tHR with their babble

Lol....you should probably add mysterious illness to the list of likely calamities that could befall the inevitable 2020 Champs.

Can you explain the relevance of a freestyle match in June of 2016 to a folkstyle match in January of 2020? Most of the points scored by either guy in that match count for nothing in folk. Plus, in order to score them, they were committing a folk rules violation.

Reactions: Antaeus
Warner suffers from "too much time in the Iowa room as a upper weight" syndrome.
TnT on media day: we are working hard on scoring points. You have to score.

TnT in the room: Come on guys, push harder. Drive them out of bounds, we need those stall calls. We need to score more points.

Reactions: Ja1339
Compare Warner's redshirt year vs Beard last year. Educate yourself on Michael Beard. I'll bet you $100 right now that Beard will MD (or better) Warner in their next match. Proceeds to NLWC vs HWC.
Michael beards best wins were when he pounded weiler ( a backup) and bulsak.
Warners true freshman year he majored an eventual 4 time all american, and jake smith. Plus warner already has two past wins against beard. You have to be absolutely dillusional to believe warner is getting majored by beard.

Reactions: lookleft goright
The same Warner who last year lost to Caywood and Lane, and got teched by Sloan?

Good wrestler but I'll take my chances with Beard.
Dude literally was recovering from an injury. As the season progressed his wrestling obviously got better

Compare Warner's redshirt year vs Beard last year. Educate yourself on Michael Beard. I'll bet you $100 right now that Beard will MD (or better) Warner in their next match. Proceeds to NLWC vs HWC.

I’ll add $25 for Beard as well. I’m as confident as you he’ll win. The major will probably come down to Beard pushing for that last second takedown And Warner hanging on for dear life not to give up the bonus..but I’m in!

Warners true freshman year he majored an eventual 4 time all american, and jake smith. Plus warner already has two past wins against beard. You have to be absolutely dillusional to believe warner is getting majored by beard.

Warner was way better as a true freshman than he is now. Iowa helps guys get worse at the upper weights for some reason. It may be the best lightweight room in the Galaxy, but if you wrestle at a weight above 165 it is not a smart choice for recruits. Warner dominated Miklus 2 years ago, but Miklus closed the gap in a huge way in only one year. Just imagine how bad Warner will be in another year!

Reactions: Creek Side
Weiler was R12 at 197 in 2018. The entire reason he lost the 197 postseason spot is because Santoro made him cut to 184 when Preisch got injured.

Jake Smith has 1 career win in the championship round of NCAAs, so obviously Warner's 3-1 win over him is much more impressive than Beard's 20-8 win over Weiler.

I will take that bet

Weiler was R12 at 197 in 2018. The entire reason he lost the 197 postseason spot is because Santoro made him cut to 184 when Preisch got injured.

Jake Smith has 1 career win in the championship round of NCAAs, so obviously Warner's 3-1 win over him is much more impressive than Beard's 20-8 win over Weiler.
Warner seems to be emotionally fragile given the post match talking tos he needed in the past. Wearing the mantle of favorite might ratchet up that stress.

Reactions: danoftw
Hawks. Honestly, not to be snide, just factual.

Q1 - Do you know who Beard wrestlers every day in practice?

A2 - Cael thats who. Then toss in some Bo and DT for good measure.

2016 was a lifetime ago, literally, in development terms.

Q2 - How does that work out in the end?

A2 - Ask Cassar.

I'll give you the same counter with Desanto working with Lee+ and the obvious results.

125 Spencer TF 5-0 Iowa

That may be based on prior results and NCAA finishes, but it's not the best case scenario for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT