ADVERTISEMENT

WIN Magazine ranks Iowa preseason #1

https://www.win-magazine.com/2019/09/iowa-tops-penn-state-in-wins-2019-20-preseason-rankings/

Notably, WIN doesn't rank RBY at 133 (which might also explain why Iowa tops the rankings), which I can only assume is because they believe RBY is redshirting. I'm not going to read too much into that. I could be wrong but I can't recall WIN ever scooping any PSU-related news.
Haven't WIN rankings been severely lacking in the past? Like, to the point that you shouldn't even assume that they know who RBY is, let alone know whether he is redshirting or not? I thought that was them, but maybe I'm wrong.

https://www.win-magazine.com/2019/09/iowa-tops-penn-state-in-wins-2019-20-preseason-rankings/

Notably, WIN doesn't rank RBY at 133 (which might also explain why Iowa tops the rankings), which I can only assume is because they believe RBY is redshirting. I'm not going to read too much into that. I could be wrong but I can't recall WIN ever scooping any PSU-related news.
1. RBY not ranked
2. Suriano ranked #1 at 133 instead of shirting
3. Darmstadt ranked #5 at 197 instead of at 184
4. Darmstadt #5 vs. Conel #12 at 197 -- when both missed last year to injury and Conel finished higher in 2018

Haven't WIN rankings been severely lacking in the past? Like, to the point that you shouldn't even assume that they know who RBY is, let alone know whether he is redshirting or not? I thought that was them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yep, it's that time of year. Time for a good chuckle as we watch WIN try to maintain a name for itself by throwing
out some bizarre rankings that miss key info. Clickity-click-click-click.

And they know they have to be the first to release rankings each year, or else they just slip away into ignore land. Whatev.

PSU Fighting Sandersons are #1 until they are beaten the 3rd week of March.

Will be interesting to see the jumps and adjustments guys make, injuries, etc, and while I would rather be us in a tournament setting, going by past results and on paper, I would favor Iowa head to head right now. I would even have to favor Marinelli head to head against Cenzo until he beats him....though I'm not betting against Cenzo. :)

There is a reason we feel confident and wouldn't want to trade places with any other team, but using logic, wrestlestat is on the money....for now....on paper.

Reactions: jtothemfp
So according to wrestlestat if the Hawks have a come to Jesus perfect storm against the Nits they could maybe, possibly win a dual meet by a single point?
Hawks would seem to have a reasonable chance to win the bonus point battle. And if 1-2 of our “enigmatic” guys step up we could win as many as 7 bouts. Who knows with so many health and participation question marks...

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
Wrestle any team 10 times, and it's possible to get 10 different scores. All I know is that the PSU v Iowa dual will be fun, fun, fun … and a good test for both teams.

Long way to go before Jan. 31, 2020. Travel, home-mat advantage, redshirts, injuries (hope not, for either team), will all be factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrod65 and Fatmarc
1. Love the underdog status....Takes a little pressure off the team.
2. What will happen to Iowa is Spencer Lee red shirts.
3. No matter what PSU beats them in a dual.

I don;t remember WIN ever scooping any wrestling related news at all. Of course, it has been quite a long time since I have bothered reading there stuff.

Yes, that is WIN. They are almost always right on the bottom (instead of the top) of things.

Assuming that RBY's exclusion is an oversight, it seems like WIN's rankings would have him 5th @ 133.

That adds 10 points to the PSU total.

Which would make it 107 (PSU) to 106.5 (Iowa).

Last edited:
Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Reactions: Antaeus and andegre
I'm curious to see how Iowa handles being ranked #1. None of their wrestlers have ever been on a top ranked team.

Shouldn't matter, but every year we see pro athletes thrive or falter under similar pressures.

If nothing else, opponents will be extra motivated to face #1.

Reactions: Sullivan
it predicted a Cenzo win vs Bull - that isnt a perfect storm case against the Nits.
Until Cenzo beats Marinelli, yes it would logically make sense to list Marinelli as a favorite. Kinda like, you know - until the Hawks actually have a recent record of being competitive with the Lions it might be viewed as a stretch to view the Hawks as favorites.
But hey, everybody knows the Hawks are this year's team.:rolleyes:

Berge will be a different animal at 157lbs...believe that

We shall see.... but that is why they wrestle. And on the positive side for wrestling, it is settled on the mat by the wrestlers unlike some other sports.

Until Cenzo beats Marinelli, yes it would logically make sense to list Marinelli as a favorite. Kinda like, you know - until the Hawks actually have a recent record of being competitive with the Lions it might be viewed as a stretch to view the Hawks as favorites.
But hey, everybody knows the Hawks are this year's team.:rolleyes:

I think the point was that any prediction that includes Marinelli losing to Cenzo probably shouldn't be viewed as "a come to Jesus perfect storm" for Iowa.

FWIW, the "Rank the Rankers" contest put on my the guy on themat.com message boards had WIN Magazine's rankings winning the contest...

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/19617-rank-the-rankers-2019/page/2/

For what it's worth, this ranks the rankers based on their last set of rankings before the post-season.

WIN has distinguished themselves as clueless in past years in their pre-season rankings.

By the end of the season, they've had three or four months to read everyone else's rankings and make a better guess at what's what.

(Worth noting: In three out of the past five years now, WIN has ranked Iowa ahead of Penn State in the pre-season.)

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how Iowa handles being ranked #1. None of their wrestlers have ever been on a top ranked team.

Shouldn't matter, but every year we see pro athletes thrive or falter under similar pressures.

If nothing else, opponents will be extra motivated to face #1.
Dan Gable recommends that the Iowa team embrace the #1 ranking with calendars and posters showing the Roman Numeral 1 graphic. ;)

(just ribbing, no disrespect to the great man)

Berge doing what he did last season, must have been miserable. He wasn't the same guy with the weight cut and that was the reason he was afforded a break mid-season to get the "cut" under control for the national title run. Lets not forget he took a bronze medal at the world championships the previous summer...the guy had a ton of miles on him by the time he hit nationals.

Again...Berge will open some eyes this year:)

WTF, where were you guys 6 weeks ago?

Berge doing what he did last season, must have been miserable. He wasn't the same guy with the weight cut and that was the reason he was afforded a break mid-season to get the "cut" under control for the national title run. Lets not forget he took a bronze medal at the world championships the previous summer...the guy had a ton of miles on him by the time he hit nationals.

Again...Berge will open some eyes this year:)
Might not see Berge for a while though as U23's are very end of October and he will still have a cut as he is wrestling at 74kg. My guess is not until ASU. Hopefully sooner than that.

Reactions: Truth_Talk
WIN has distinguished themselves as clueless in past years in their pre-season rankings.

Worth noting: In three out of the past five years now, WIN has ranked Iowa ahead of Penn State in the pre-season.

Well if your research consists of reading tHR, its hard to go up against 150+ team points and 10 AA every September.

I love the underdog mantra with this team. It will be so f** leading up to the beating we will lay on them at Carver. Which is doubly good because it will probably be the first Carver sell out in....what...years......

#noicestorms
#icecreamforallmyfriends
#embraceyourdawgcomplex
#wewinitswhatwedo
#turkyougottaacouchforafriend

ADVERTISEMENT