ADVERTISEMENT

Willie's Updated HS Rankings on Flo, with seniors removed ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
they are now titled the ASICS FloRankings. You can access them at THIS LINK.

this summer there will be the Cadet trials, the Cadet and Junior duals, and Fargo, plus guys may switch weights, so there's likely to be a lot of changes before the start of the high school season in December.

Guys from PA and/or guys that have been discussed as PSU targets are listed below (avoiding 106 -- just too small and too young). The school year listed for them is what they're just finishing. I'm also providing some flash reactions about some of the rankings.

Tom

113:
3. Gavin Teasdale (fresh, Jeff-Morgan HS, PA)
12. Riley Palmer (soph, Council Rock South HS, PA)
15. Matty Parker (soph, Pennridge HS, PA)
20. Julian Chlebove (8th, Northampton HS, PA)

120:
1. Spencer Lee (soph, Franklin Regional HS, PA)
18. Max Murin (soph, Central Cambria HS, PA)
19. Brian Courtney (soph, Athens HS, PA)
* I wonder if Spencer will go 113 next year, or will stay at 120

126:
1. Nick Suriano (jr., Bergen Catholic HS, NJ)
3. Jack Mueller (jr., Wyoming Seminary, PA)
6. Taylor Lamont (jr., Maple Mountain HS, UT)
7. Luke Karam (jr., Bethlehem Catholic HS, PA)
8. Gus Solomon (soph, Franklin Regional HS, PA)

132:
1. Chad Rad (jr., New Palestine HS, IN)
3. Luke Pletcher (jr. Greater Latrobe HS, PA)
4. Mickey Phillippi (jr., Derry HS, PA)
12. Zack Trampe (soph, Council Rock South HS, PA)
14. Sammy Sasso (fresh, Nazareth HS, PA)
* I'm surprised to see Red at this weight class. I thought he was at 126 this past season.

138:
1. Cameron Coy (soph, Penn Trafford HS, PA)
13. Evan Fidelibus (jr, Easton HS, PA)

145:
1. Hayden Hidlay (jr, Mifflin County HS, PA)
2. Jarod Verkleeren (soph, Belle Vernon HS, PA)
10. Mike Carr (soph, South Fayette HS, PA)
11. Jonathan Ross (jr, North York HS, PA)
15. James Saylor (jr, Easton HS, PA)

152:
1. Mason Manville (jr, Lorton, VA)
7. Mikey Labriola (soph, Bethlehem Catholic HS, PA)
20. Robert Patrick (fresh, Ligonier Valley HS, PA)

160:
3. Jake Wentzel (jr, South Park HS, PA)
7. Kaleb Young (jr, Punxsutawney HS, PA)
10. Noah Stewart (jr,, Mifflin County HS, PA)
14. Jacob Oliver (soph, Huntington HS, PA)

170:
1. Mark Hall (jr, Apple Valley HS, MN)
3. Chris Weiler (jr, Wyoming Seminary, PA)
5. Austin Bell (jr, Belle Vernon HS, PA)
9. Greg Bulsak (jr, South Park HS, PA)
10. Michael Beard (fresh, Malvern Prep, PA)
19. Jake Shaffer (jr, Greater Latrobe HS, PA)

182:
1. Nick Reenan (jr, Wyoming Seminary, PA)
3. Dakota Geer (jr, Franklin HS, PA)
5. Kyle Gentile (jr, Pennridge HS, PA)
6. John Jakobsen (jr, Stroudsburg HS, PA)
7. Jared Siegrist (jr, Manheim HS, PA)
19. Anthony Welsh (jr, Bethlehem Center, PA)
* wow, PA is stacked at this weight

195:
4. Chris Dietrich (jr, Wyoming Seminary, PA)
14. Drew Phipps (jr, Norwin HS, PA)

220:
1. Jordan Wood (jr, Boyertown HS, PA)
5. Francis Duggan (fresh, Cumberland Vallley HS, PA)
6.Seth Janney (soph, Southwestern HS, PA)
17. Jacob Robb (jr, Kittanning HS, PA)

285:
12. Jake Beistel (jr, Southmoreland HS, PA)

P4P
1. Mark Hall (jr, Apple Valley HS, MN)
2. Spencer Lee (soph, Franklin Regional HS, PA)
3. Nick Suriano (jr, Bergen Catholic HS, NJ)
6. Jordan Wood (jr, Boyertown HS, PA)
7. Chad Red (jr, New Palestine HS, IN)
10. Mason Manville (jr, Lorton, VA)

A few thoughts of my own ...

Surprised to not see Jonathan Gabriel ranked anywhere. I assume he'll eventually get there this year. Also suspect Todd Lane (138?) and Blake Marks (160/170?) would've been ranked if they weren't injured last year.

132: Sasso up 2 weights? Maybe this is a postseason weight? Anyway, I'd keep an eye on his growth -- he might line up to follow Zain and/or backfill if Cenzo or Nolf grow.

182: I was surprised to see Gentile ahead of Jakobsen, though maybe he's having a better postseason, I don't know. In any case, Gentile, Jakobsen, and Siegrist are all AAA.

220: All 4 will be AAA next year (Kittanning is merging with another school and will become Armstrong Central). I wouldn't bet against one or more of them moving to 195 or 285, much weaker weights in general and especially with Wood at 220. I'd also watch Tyler Worthing from Kiski.

285 seems to be getting weaker by the minute. Unless some of the 220s move up, this will be a bad year for PA heavies -- er, an opportunity for someone to step up and make a name for himself.

#6. @ 220lbs Seth Janney (soph, Southwestern HS, PA) will go HWT next season. He currently weighs 240lbs.

Also Michael Beard will be at 184lbs. I expect him and Reenan to meet multiple times this coming season, including State and National Prep finals. It was a close match in the National Prep finals this past season (6-4) with Reenen coming out on top.

A few thoughts of my own ...

Surprised to not see Jonathan Gabriel ranked anywhere. I assume he'll eventually get there this year. Also suspect Todd Lane (138?) and Blake Marks (160/170?) would've been ranked if they weren't injured last year.

132: Sasso up 2 weights? Maybe this is a postseason weight? Anyway, I'd keep an eye on his growth -- he might line up to follow Zain and/or backfill if Cenzo or Nolf grow.

182: I was surprised to see Gentile ahead of Jakobsen, though maybe he's having a better postseason, I don't know. In any case, Gentile, Jakobsen, and Siegrist are all AAA.

220: All 4 will be AAA next year (Kittanning is merging with another school and will become Armstrong Central). I wouldn't bet against one or more of them moving to 195 or 285, much weaker weights in general and especially with Wood at 220. I'd also watch Tyler Worthing from Kiski.

285 seems to be getting weaker by the minute. Unless some of the 220s move up, this will be a bad year for PA heavies -- er, an opportunity for someone to step up and make a name for himself.

Not speaking for Willie, but I would guess that Gabriel doesn't yet have the national level wins on his resume as 126 was a pretty thin weight at AA this past year, but would guess he is in the HM range.

Suspect that you are right about Lane and Marks and we will see them in the rankings before the end of the year.

Sasso had been competing at 138 and 145 this postseason. Parents are also not small. 132 sounds right.

Gentile IS having a nice offseason. FloNational 5th he knocked off the #3 seed and then beat Jake Schaffer 4-0 (Schaffer had beaten him at States). He was 175 there. Has wrestled 182 since, winning Northeast Regionals - knocking off Antonio Agee there. Just wrestled at NHSCA where I think his only loss was to Stout in a match that was one of those that you are not sure the better wrestler won. Jakobsen lost to Stout 1-0 in state finals. He has split with Seigrist, winning the last one, so I think you throw them pretty much in a hat. Gentile probably has better wins on his resume than Jakobsen, Siegrist might even have more quality wins, but you have the H-T-H results with Gentile winning the last one.

I figured Beard would be 182 next year, he was saying this last year at ETR that it would be his last competition at 160 and he might skip right to 182. I'm assuming Rashon will bump to 195 for you guys next year then, and I saw your one of your incoming wrestle at 170 earlier this week, so I assume you will be sliding him in there.

182 is shaping up really nice for Escape the Rock next year with Beard, Gentile and Jakobsen. Then you have Greg Harvey (although maybe he goes 195 as he is soon to be step brothers with Gentile), Robert Winters (VA), Blake Barrick and a host of other kids that will be in Hershey (or other state medalists) like Joey Doyle (CR South), Trent Cook (CV), Milton Kobaly (Belle Vernon), Hakim Coles (Hill), Brandon Steele (Broad Run, VA), Peter Accardi (Don Bosco), Jody Crouse (BECA), Storm McDonald (BBV), Peyton Blauvet (Southern, NJ) and Mike Tualane (Collingswood, NJ). That's 16 kids with a good chance of getting on their respective stands this year - if they already haven't. If I had to predict right now, I would go:

1) Beard
2) Gentile
3) Jakobsen
but they are all really close.

Shameless plug for ETR above, lol.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Can we assume Seth Nevills a sophomore ranked 7th at 220 is Nicks brother and a possible target?
I think that's very safe to assume. As an aside, for about a month, Seth had PSU wallpaper on his Twitter feed. 8 years of Nevills at Heavy would be fine with me.

My surprise about Gabriel is because he has been nationally ranked in the past, and because he's a top 150 recruit in the 2016 class.

My surprise about 182 is because Jakobsen (1) beat Gentile last year, (2) placed higher at states at 182 than Gentile did at 170, which IMO was a weak weight at Hershey (witness Hollingshead bumping up from 160). Maybe the postseason overcomes that? Not a big deal, just a little surprising, but they'll have plenty of chances face-to-face this year.

Pretty open secret that Big Snacks wants to come to PSU in 3 years. Cautiously optimistic, because that's a long way off and lots of stuff can happen. His freshman year was very comparable to Nick's. If he keeps up that pace ... I'll also be curious to see where the in-between brother (AJ, a highly-ranked SR 197) ends up.

diceman, you are correct that Flynn Leaf, who will be an incoming freshman in the fall, was at NHSCA wrestling at 170lbs. Nathan knew it would be a learning experience for him, but he's very talented. He split time wrestling on our National Dual team and the Scorpions National Dual Team, depending on the tournament. He has only been wrestling for 3 or 4 years, so we're looking forward to developing his skill set.

ADVERTISEMENT