ADVERTISEMENT

Willie breaking some rules change news?

I concur. Head gear never bothered me at practice, or in a competition.

Some people seem to walk around with cauliflower ear as a badge of honor. I'm glad that I don't suffer from it, or ever aspired to have it.

Surrrrrrrrre Thomas....;)

DizzyThirdEuropeanfiresalamander-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Long overdue. The people who want to wear it still can.

I guess 19 and 20 year old men should be allowed to do what they want within limits, but I'm glad that it was required in high school. My sons both would have gone without it if given the option in high school because they thought that cauliflower ear was a badge of honor. Personally I think it's just stupid to intentionally deface yourself and I'm glad that both of my sons have their "real ears" now, post-wrestling.

If wrestlers aren't obligated to wear headgear in practice, it's difficult to see the good wearing headgear in matches does since the majority of time spent wrestling is in the practice room. If the rule isn't actually contributing to its purpose except in the most nominal ways, it's tough to justify its existence.

Last edited:
I guess 19 and 20 year old men should be allowed to do what they want within limits, but I'm glad that it was required in high school. My sons both would have gone without it if given the option in high school because they thought that cauliflower ear was a badge of honor. Personally I think it's just stupid to intentionally deface yourself and I'm glad that both of my sons have their "real ears" now, post-wrestling.

I agree it can help and if a guy wants to wear it they still can. I actually hate these tattoos these young men are plastering all over much worse than the mangled ears. It probably stems from growing up in a wrestling community in Iowa, but the ears are no big deal to me. This rule will in no way prevent a person from wearing a headgear, but instead let the choice be the athletes. I never wore one in practice, but there were a couple people who did.

Does Hawkeye Report have a thread about how if this was a rule in 2016-2017, Mark Hall would never have won?

I still love Mark's interview last year when the reporter said now I know your first match with Zahid ended controversially and Mark basically responded with "What was controversial about it? He pulled my headgear"

I absolutely hate people continuously saying Mark won because of that, certainly was a turning point but it was an illegal maneuver that clearly gave Zahid the takedown and Mark subsequently took him down after.

I have no opinions one way or another about the headgear ... I do love when wrestlers hand their heargear to young wrestlers ... signaling a passing of a torch. It's one of the traditions I love about college wrestling.

Reactions: danoftw and tikk10

While I agree that match was poor much like the first, it really had nothing to do with headgear being mandatory. It is a horrible match because the brick is being thrown in desperation. On a side note, what I once thought was a match to look forward to seeing I hope I never again am subject to this match-up.

The rules committee voted to make headgear optional 2 years ago, and were overruled by the safety committee. Something makes me think it would be the same this year. Willie just hoping.

Willie still wants everyone to know this doesn’t make him a Journalist, don’t get it twisted

Last edited:
The only solution is a full helmet with facemask. The refs should also carry yellow flags and a facemask results in sumo running start from neutral at 15 yards instead of a point

Last edited:
Opinions will be all over the map re. use of headgear, and pretty strong opinions at that. I'd like to hear pro's and con's. Using one or two examples among the ten's of thousands of matches (and that's D1 only) wrestled each year isn't enough to make a case imo. Safety and health reasons should trump all, again, my opinion.

Does Hawkeye Report have a thread about how if this was a rule in 2016-2017, Mark Hall would never have won?

I still love Mark's interview last year when the reporter said now I know your first match with Zahid ended controversially and Mark basically responded with "What was controversial about it? He pulled my headgear"

I absolutely hate people continuously saying Mark won because of that, certainly was a turning point but it was an illegal maneuver that clearly gave Zahid the takedown and Mark subsequently took him down after.

I have no opinions one way or another about the headgear ... I do love when wrestlers hand their heargear to young wrestlers ... signaling a passing of a torch. It's one of the traditions I love about college wrestling.
Heil won two championships before a rule change stopped it. So what?

Opinions will be all over the map re. use of headgear, and pretty strong opinions at that. I'd like to hear pro's and con's. Using one or two examples among the ten's of thousands of matches (and that's D1 only) wrestled each year isn't enough to make a case imo. Safety and health reasons should trump all, again, my opinion.
I hear you but suspect the argument will ultimately go something like this:
(7 min x 35 matches) is less time wrestling than 1 week of practice, therefore very limited risk compared to an activity in which headgear is not required.

Granted, the real reason for optional headgear in practice is not safety -- it's inability to enforce.

I hear you but suspect the argument will ultimately go something like this:
(7 min x 35 matches) is less time wrestling than 1 week of practice, therefore very limited risk compared to an activity in which headgear is not required.

Granted, the real reason for optional headgear in practice is not safety -- it's inability to enforce.
And yet the rule exists, except for drilling or warm-up...

Art. 4. Ear Protection. A protective ear guard shall be worn anytime live wrestling takes place (this includes practice, dual meets and all collegiate and open tournaments). This rule does not apply to drilling or the warm-up period before competition. The use of tape or decals on the ear protection is prohibited. Clean, fresh athletic tape is permissible on the ear protection if used for medical purposes only. The ear protection should:
a. provide adequate ear protection;
b. not be an injury hazard to the opponent; and
c. have an adjustable locking device to prevent it from coming off or turning on the wrestler’s head.

I concur. Head gear never bothered me at practice, or in a competition.

Some people seem to walk around with cauliflower ear as a badge of honor. I'm glad that I don't suffer from it, or ever aspired to have it.
I always found it made you sweat more, which when sucking a lot of weight helped...at least it did 35 years ago.

Agree about the cauliflower ear, not sure why anybody would want those ears.

Reactions: dunkej01
Retired Navy Seal Master Chef Don Shipley's third rule of surviving manhood was "Never fight a dude with cauliflower ear. That guy got those things for reason." You are all just jealous.

Cauliflower ear is not attractive and I don't know why anyone would want it. However, it is a good rule of thumb not to mess with any one with cauliflower ear.
I would agree with that. Usually it means the person was a serious wrestler or boxer.

the concern that could come up without headgear, is the availability of the wrestler when experiencing the onset of cauliflower ear. Can be very sore and may limit action until it 'hardens'. My son had his ear drained a few times and then went to a surgeon and had a cast on his ear (yeah, looked like a guaze bandage but was hardened). If not for x-mas break, he would have missed a match or two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT