ADVERTISEMENT

Will USC really hire a coach that is 2-14 lifetime vs Top Ten Teams?

Sooner Lion

Nov 10, 2003
JAMES FRANKLIN

vs. Top 25 Opponents —
11-14 at Penn State, 1-7 at Vanderbilt, 12-21 overall. 6-3 since 2019, 11-10 since 2016. 2-8 in true road games against Top 25 opponents, 5-10 counting road, bowl and neutral site games.

vs. Top 10 Opponents — 2-8 at Penn State, 0-5 at Vanderbilt, 2-13 overall. Wins came in 2016: a 24-21 upset of No. 2 Ohio State at home, and a win over No. 6 Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game in Indianapolis.

vs. Top 5 Opponents — 1-5 at Penn State, 0-3 at Vanderbilt, 1-8 overall. The win? That 2016 upset of Ohio State in a Beaver Stadium Whiteout.

JAMES FRANKLIN

vs. Top 25 Opponents —
11-14 at Penn State, 1-7 at Vanderbilt, 12-21 overall. 6-3 since 2019, 11-10 since 2016. 2-8 in true road games against Top 25 opponents, 5-10 counting road, bowl and neutral site games.

vs. Top 10 Opponents — 2-8 at Penn State, 0-5 at Vanderbilt, 2-13 overall. Wins came in 2016: a 24-21 upset of No. 2 Ohio State at home, and a win over No. 6 Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game in Indianapolis.

vs. Top 5 Opponents — 1-5 at Penn State, 0-3 at Vanderbilt, 1-8 overall. The win? That 2016 upset of Ohio State in a Beaver Stadium Whiteout.
Yes…if they get the chance.

Did some digging, crazy that we have only beat 3 top 5 teams since joining the Big Ten.
And Arizona in 1999 was most decidedly not a top 5 team.

0-11 on the road since beating Michigan in 1994.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Stupid post, this program was dead when he took it over and now we are at least in the conversation in recent years. Yesterday they had a great game plan, and unfortunately Clifford went down. Clearly that’s a win yesterday if that doesn’t happen. They lost 2 QBs to the portal it’s unfortunate we didn’t have someone to step up, but it is what it is. Injuries happen but we lost/Iowa won simply because of luck, one bad luck for us, and two good luck for them.

JAMES FRANKLIN

vs. Top 25 Opponents —

do your totals include the sanction years?

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Did some digging, crazy that we have only beat 3 top 5 teams since joining the Big Ten.
And Arizona in 1999 was most decidedly not a top 5 team.

0-11 on the road since beating Michigan in 1994.
Agree. I saw that as well. Penn State is a solid program. We are a very long way away from a perrenial top ten program.

Reactions: zubrus1
JAMES FRANKLIN

vs. Top 25 Opponents —

LMAOROFL. Is there,anyone here with children that would move them to the cesspool of So California?

Stupid post, this program was dead when he took it over and now we are at least in the conversation in recent years. Yesterday they had a great game plan, and unfortunately Clifford went down. Clearly that’s a win yesterday if that doesn’t happen. They lost 2 QBs to the portal it’s unfortunate we didn’t have someone to step up, but it is what it is. Injuries happen but we lost/Iowa won simply because of luck, one bad luck for us, and two good luck for them.
The program was not dead when he took it over. It was trending up. If anything Franklin held it back in his first two years. They were set for a playoff run in 2014 before Franklin showed up with his clown car of bumbling idiots (Donovan, Rahne, Hand, Gattis).

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
The program was not dead when he took it over. It was trending up. If anything Franklin held it back in his first two years. They were set for a playoff run in 2014 before Franklin showed up with his clown car of bumbling idiots (Donovan, Rahne, Hand, Gattis).

You win the stupidest post of the pandemic era........They had zero OL depth, the Sanctions were taking a toll that O'brien didn't have to deal with, he had teams stacked with upperclassmen (Hack was the exception in year 2)....I thought some of your posts after Auburn were idiotic, turns out, I greatly underestimated you.

You win the stupidest post of the pandemic era........They had zero OL depth, the Sanctions were taking a toll that O'brien didn't have to deal with, he had teams stacked with upperclassmen (Hack was the exception in year 2)....I thought some of your posts after Auburn were idiotic, turns out, I greatly underestimated you.
O'Brien and his staff, before Erickson and Joyner forced them out, thought the 2014 team had a great chance run the table. Franklin showed up with his boys and ran the offense into the ground.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
After losing to Indiana 44-24 and OSU 63-14 in 2013 they were definitely primed for a run to the title in 2014

A playoff run in 2014?? Wow

O'Brien was an idiot if he actually believed that. He spent the prior two years recruiting QBs, WRs and TEs but no offensive line.
O'Brien was no idiot. Don't' forget that HIS players were the most important players on the 2016 and 2017 teams.

And IIRC, it was not even clear before the season if we were going to be allowed to play in a bowl. Also Joyner didn't force O'Brien to leave. He wanted to use the job to become an NFL HC
It was known in 2013 that the NCAA was going to remove the sanctions the following season. And yes, Joyner and Erickson forced him out. Who the bleep do you think forced O'Brien to fire Vanderlinden and Fischer?

You realize that Yurcich and Pry would probably go with him unless one of them gets the PSU job? I don't want this to happen. PSU may insist on HC experience and we will be starting over
Yurcich is good but don’t care as he will assuredly be leaving for greener pastures shortly anyway

The only clown who arrived with that car was you. Hard to accept that you actually believe the crap you post.

Don't know and I always wondered about that. What is the story? Why did Vandy and Fischer get fired right before O'Brien resigned for the Houston job? It never made him look good that he did that
It is well known that O'Brien did not fire them willingly.

Even I can admit, Franklin took over for a depleted squad. Getting Saquon to flip from Rutgers most likely single-handedly saved his job. I have no issues with Franklins record his first two seasons and even the B1G championship his 3rd season. Since then, the issue I have is bone-headed coaching decisions (4th and 5), lack of a nasty run game, losing double-digit leads in the 4th quarter (did I mention a lack of a nasty running game?), the merry-go-round offensive coordinators the last five years and the lack of development of highly rated recruits (#5 is in his 5th year and still cannot tackle consistently, #12 was a 5 start out of high school and still does not wrap up.

Reactions: zubrus1
The only clown who arrived with that car was you. Hard to accept that you actually believe the crap you post.
There was a thread where Wally claimed it was OBrien that recruited McSorley, Barkley and the rest of the top 2016 players. He is either a master troll or an idiot

Then why did he fire them? He was about to quit anyway; why did he care about any pressure from above at that point?

There was no pressure from above. O'Brien fired Fischer out of spite an Vanderlinden beause he didn't like getting second-guessed about Butler.

JAMES FRANKLIN

vs. Top 25 Opponents —

seriously- go find a team to root for

or just go- that would be fine too

That's what I've always suspected about Vandy, although the Fischer firing still makes no sense even with that explanation.

It was more of a rhetorical question. The assertion that he gave in to pressure from Joyner and fired someone, when he himself was about to quit, makes no sense on its face.
Lot's of things don't make sense with O'Brien. Great football coach who will burn as hot as magnesium over nothing.

Whatever you're drinking you may want to lay off a little while... 2014, really? Wow!

Even I can admit, Franklin took over for a depleted squad. Getting Saquon to flip from Rutgers most likely single-handedly saved his job. I have no issues with Franklins record his first two seasons and even the B1G championship his 3rd season. Since then, the issue I have is bone-headed coaching decisions (4th and 5), lack of a nasty run game, losing double-digit leads in the 4th quarter (did I mention a lack of a nasty running game?), the merry-go-round offensive coordinators the last five years and the lack of development of highly rated recruits (#5 is in his 5th year and still cannot tackle consistently, #12 was a 5 start out of high school and still does not wrap up.
You even have no issues with a B1G championship? Bold statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT