ADVERTISEMENT

Will The NHL Step Up And Take Action or...

androcles

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
...just look the other way and ignore a blatant and cowardly sucker punch by Ottawa's over-the-hill Tommy Wingels on the Pen's Wilson?...
... the score was 7-0 Pens with less than a minute left in the game when Wingels snuck up from behind and blind - sided an unsuspecting Wilson with an elbow shiver to the face ... sending Wilson to the ice and then staggering off to the locker room with a possible concussion...
... there is no excuse for such a cowardly act by a player who was not in any way playing the puck but was just trying to injure another player...
... it will be interesting to see how the NHL office responds to this sneak attack...
...just Google "Tommy Wingels" to see the play...

Last edited:
Was definitely a cheap shot away from the action, but not quite as dramatic as you described. He was directly in front of him when he delivered the shot and while it staggered Wilson I don't believe he went to the ice.

(I'm not justifying the cheap shot in any way, shape or form, just describing what I saw.)

I think an intentional cheap shot like this away from the puck and in the final seconds of a game s/b penalized by a fine and sitting out a game. Whatever the NHL does should have been done by now, there's no reason to wait until tomorrow, they have the various camera angles back in NYC. Nip this shit in the bud.

PERSONALLY, I'd like to see both the above AND have a penalty assessed that would begin at the start of the next game. That would stop a lot of the cheap shooting that goes on at the end of a lot of games.

FWIW, I think the officiating has been extremely disappointing in both the current series. Just my $.02 until I start complaining this fall re: our friendly zebras representing the Big 10(14).

...just look the other way and ignore a blatant and cowardly sucker punch by Ottawa's over-the-hill Tommy Wingels on the Pen's Wilson?...
... the score was 7-0 Pens with less than a minute left in the game when Wingels snuck up from behind and blind - sided an unsuspecting Wilson with an elbow shiver to the face ... sending Wilson to the ice and then staggering off to the locker room with a possible concussion...
... there is no excuse for such a cowardly act by a player who was not in any way playing the puck but was just trying to injure another player...
... it will be interesting to see how the NHL office responds to this sneak attack...
Imagine the reaction on this Board if Penn State led Ohio State in the Big Ten hockey semi finals 7-0 with less than a minute left and the blow was delivered by an OSU player. I have no tolerance for crap like that. Suspend Wingels for the rest of the playoffs...likely 1 game, and fine him 50 grand. The NHL will ignore it which is why so many ignore the NHL.

Last edited:
Was definitely a cheap shot away from the action, but not quite as dramatic as you described. He was directly in front of him when he delivered the shot and while it staggered Wilson I don't believe he went to the ice.

(I'm not justifying the cheap shot in any way, shape or form, just describing what I saw.)

I think an intentional cheap shot like this away from the puck and in the final seconds of a game s/b penalized by a fine and sitting out a game. Whatever the NHL does should have been done by now, there's no reason to wait until tomorrow, they have the various camera angles back in NYC. Nip this shit in the bud.

PERSONALLY, I'd like to see both the above AND have a penalty assessed that would begin at the start of the next game. That would stop a lot of the cheap shooting that goes on at the end of a lot of games.

FWIW, I think the officiating has been extremely disappointing in both the current series. Just my $.02 until I start complaining this fall re: our friendly zebras representing the Big 10(14).
I really like the next game penalty idea.

...a one game suspension is warranted but I agree that a 5-minute PP to start the next game would send a more effective message that end-game sneak attacks will not be tolerated...
...and that's why it probably won't happen... there is still a goon element in the game that thrives on fighting and dirty play - which adds NOTHING to the game...
...but thas jes my opinion...

Last edited:
Milbury said there was noth No wrong with the play.

Seriously.

That guy (Milbury..... though Wingels certainly also qualifies) is an unmitigated, unrepentant douchebag.
And both Milbury and Wingels are perfect examples of the types of guys the NHL needs to purge - from all levels of the organization.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
They might do something here, only because he's a nobody that nobody cares about. They have no interest in curbing the illegal hitting, as evidenced by the fact that they have all ex-goons making the decisions about "player safety". The old-boy Canadian culture is alive and well, because the good old boy Canadians know that if the league were actually turned into a skill league instead of a goon league, those good old boy Canadians would no longer be playing in the NHL, and instead would be replaced by Euro's with higher skill. That is what this is all about in a nutshell: making sure that NHL hockey is Canada's game, not the world's game.

...decades ago it was the European teams, and particularly the Russians, who changed the character of the game from a rough house back alley style to a skate and short passing style - with noticeable success. As a result the game has become more attractive to a wider fan base, as reflected in the continuing expansion of the NHL as well as throughout the world. My hope is that the leagues recognize that most supporters do not want a return to the past rough house style.

Well funny were was your outrage when Crosby severely damaged a senator's finger with a blatant slash? The whining from the lens fans almost marches that of their players. Almost.

Reactions: psu7113

----
I'd add a couple other penalties to that. If a player is suspended for intentional stuff like this, he should not be replaced on the roster. make the team play the next game a player short.
Also, the player should be suspended for as long as the injured player is out plus one more game. If Wilson misses three games, then the other dude should be out for four even if it extends into next season .
When Crosby was almost killed by the Caps 'decapitator ' on the Jan 1 outdoors game a few years ago he missed the rest of the season....or most of it....plus much of the next season. The player that did it got what, five games? Rediculous.

----
I'd add a couple other penalties to that. If a player is suspended for intentional stuff like this, he should not be replaced on the roster. make the team play the next game a player short.
Also, the player should be suspended for as long as the injured player is out plus one more game. If Wilson misses three games, then the other dude should be out for four even if it extends into next season .
When Crosby was almost killed by the Caps 'decapitator ' on the Jan 1 outdoors game a few years ago he missed the rest of the season....or most of it....plus much of the next season. The player that did it got what, five games? Rediculous.

Absolutely suspend the offending player for the period of time the injured player is unable to play. That sends a message as do substantial fines.

Another note, should the NHL do nothing Mr. Wingles had better be VERY aware in the next game because if the Pens are up by several goals near the end of the game the retribution the NHL loves as they are not punishing it, will occur.

----

The player that did it was not punished.

Watch Wingels in the clip above. This was completely premeditated. His stick is limp behind him in his left hand freeing up his right arm, elbow to smash into a unsuspecting Wilson. Wilson might see if coming a fraction of a second before impact, but certainly with not enough time to protect himself. NHL has to clean this up.....the final four in the NHL this year is like a hospital ward. Pens have lost Hornquist, Crosby, Schultz, Ruhwedel, Rust, Daley, Haglund, Dumuland during the playoffs.....many with concussions.

Predators have almost 1/3 of their goal scoring from the year sidelines with Playoff injuries to Fischer (concusion), Fiala (broken leg) and Johanson (thigh muscle injury emergency surgery needed).

Ottawa hurt with their Captain and best player Eric Karlson injured, Ceci, Brousard injured. Goon Borowiecki also injured for Ottowa.

At some point the game needs to protect their players like the NFL has tried to do, the casual fan is not going to a game to watch Anaheim Center Kessler use his stick in an attempt to castrate half of the Nashville Predators team, and the fact that NBC Sports, speaks so highly about the energy of Kessler, the energy of Borwieki, and the good strong hits of Nishkinen,the league will stay a niche sport league.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Only in the NHL is a strategy that is designed to injure the other team's best players considered fair and reasonable. Imagine the outrage here if on the first series of the Pitt game, Narduzzi had one of his players blatantly try to destroy Barkley's knees with a low hit. Then compare that likely response to the assholes here who say it's OK to try to cave in the heads of your opponent in a playoff game, because most of the time "it's a hockey play", or, "the game moves so fast".

Of course the NHL won't do anything.

They were on the verge of becoming main stream back in the 90s. Rangers won the cup, lots of great skilled players int he league and what do they do, allow the devils to ruin the game for a decade. Let the lesser skilled players literally drag the better players down.

Reactions: bytir and TheGLOV
Well funny were was your outrage when Crosby severely damaged a senator's finger with a blatant slash? The whining from the lens fans almost marches that of their players. Almost.
You embarrass yourself, and display your lack of knowledge about hockey, by trying to equate a untintentional, freak injury resulting from a routine slash to the hands (a slash Crosby himself has received regularly during his career) with an intentional punch/crosscheck to the face, from behind, as time is expiring in. 7-0 game. Get a clue.

...apparently, as expected, the NHL has said there will be NO REVIEW of Wingels deliberate and cowardly hit on Wilson!!!...
... business as usual won out... :(

Last edited:
Nothing's ever changing in the NHL so long as the Canadians remain in charge. Bettman gives them free reign and stays out of the way.

You are a cry baby pissy pants. The Penguins are a bunch of choir boys who all play like gentlemen.

...interestingly, Wikipedia lists Wingels as a "widely regarded cheap shot artist and sniveling coward"...'
...he is probably still seething over his Stanley Cup finals loss to the Penguins
last year when he was a San Jose Shark...

...interestingly, Wikipedia lists Wingels as a "widely regarded cheap shot artist and sniveling coward"...'
...he is probably still seething over his Stanley Cup finals loss to the Penguins
last year when he was a San Jose Shark...
Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn!

Wilson's not hurt much, so I suspect that is why nothing is going to happen. They are just cowards.

Someday, the NHL is going to get absolutely hammered in court on a concussion lawsuit, and they will have no one to blame but themselves. It's going to be very easy to prove to a jury that they don't really wish to put a stop to head shots.

Logic like this is why the NHL just can't get its act together. Nothing can be judged by the hockey world without giving weight to mitigating factors. If something happens to one team, it's bad. If it happens to another team, it's OK. There are no absolutes when it comes to the NHL, and that is just another reason why it is a garage league.

Where were these ideas when Neal and Kasperitis, et al, played for the Pens? Oh wait, Pens fans were too busy crying that their numerous suspensions for delivering cheapshots were unfair and undeserved.

...a one game suspension is warranted but I agree that a 5-minute PP to start the next game would send a more effective message that end-game sneak attacks will not be tolerated...
...and that's why it probably won't happen... there is still a goon element in the game that thrives on fighting and dirty play - which adds NOTHING to the game...
...but thas jes my opinion...

When we had a REAL "goon element", all this extracurricular stick crap rarely happened.

F-(k political correctness and fines. Knowing you would have to deal with a Marty McSorley or Clark Gillies if you touched a star like Wayne Gretzky or Mike Bossy did exponentially more to extend their careers than those silly fines do today. You high stick or slash Wayne Gretzky??? You better be ready to fight. Or be totally embarrassed in front of your girlfriend and anyone else you know.

Another thing that is extremely apparent is that the tiny ice surface that the NHL plays on makes it FAR easier for the illegal stick work to happen because of the close quarters. Watching the World Championships and the Olympics, the larger International ice surface makes it almost suicidal to involve yourself in too much stick work. There's far less room for error. If you tie yourself up trying to hack someone, someone else is going to get good position on you and fly past you to the net.

Where were these ideas when Neal and Kasperitis, et al, played for the Pens? Oh wait, Pens fans were too busy crying that their numerous suspensions for delivering cheapshots were unfair and undeserved.

Actually, most Pens fans were tired of Neal's act and were glad when he was traded. If you have the time to go thru the message board posts of that era on various hockey forums, you will see that this is easily verified.

Kasparaitis last played in 2002 for the Pens. As much of a hack-and-whack kind of defenseman that he was, he was not a guy who targeted heads any more than any other defenseman of that sorry era. Have you ever heard of a guy named Scott Stevens? He's in the Hall of Fame. Check out his hitting style from that era and tell me how Kasparaitis compares to him. Everybody remembers the Kasparaitis hit on Eric Lindros and assumes he did that all the time. He could have, as it was legal back then, but the guy was too short to get his shoulder into most player's head area successfully. Lindros, however, had the unfortunate habit of having his head down low and his eyes glued to the ice, making him a vulnerable target, unfortunately for him. But you'll still believe what you want to believe.

One thing I hope happens is that every person here who thinks these kinds of things are OK, has their favorite player maimed with a head shot during the first game of the season next year. If that happens, even if he dies, don't complain.

Watch Wingels in the clip above. This was completely premeditated. His stick is limp behind him in his left hand freeing up his right arm, elbow to smash into a unsuspecting Wilson. Wilson might see if coming a fraction of a second before impact, but certainly with not enough time to protect himself. NHL has to clean this up.....the final four in the NHL this year is like a hospital ward. Pens have lost Hornquist, Crosby, Schultz, Ruhwedel, Rust, Daley, Haglund, Dumuland during the playoffs.....many with concussions.

Predators have almost 1/3 of their goal scoring from the year sidelines with Playoff injuries to Fischer (concusion), Fiala (broken leg) and Johanson (thigh muscle injury emergency surgery needed).

Ottawa hurt with their Captain and best player Eric Karlson injured, Ceci, Brousard injured. Goon Borowiecki also injured for Ottowa.

At some point the game needs to protect their players like the NFL has tried to do, the casual fan is not going to a game to watch Anaheim Center Kessler use his stick in an attempt to castrate half of the Nashville Predators team, and the fact that NBC Sports, speaks so highly about the energy of Kessler, the energy of Borwieki, and the good strong hits of Nishkinen,the league will stay a niche sport league.
You mean the same NFL that's losing viewership and according to many it's because it's turned into a pussy league where no one is allowed to hit anyone? You mean that NFL? I'm not a hockey fan so I really don't care what they do with the rules, but I am always skeptical about letting a group of people change the rules because you never know what you're going to get.

When we had a REAL "goon element", all this extracurricular stick crap rarely happened.

F-(k political correctness and fines. Knowing you would have to deal with a Marty McSorley or Clark Gillies if you touched a star like Wayne Gretzky or Mike Bossy did exponentially more to extend their careers than those silly fines do today. You high stick or slash Wayne Gretzky??? You better be ready to fight. Or be totally embarrassed in front of your girlfriend and anyone else you know.

Another thing that is extremely apparent is that the tiny ice surface that the NHL plays on makes it FAR easier for the illegal stick work to happen because of the close quarters. Watching the World Championships and the Olympics, the larger International ice surface makes it almost suicidal to involve yourself in too much stick work. There's far less room for error. If you tie yourself up trying to hack someone, someone else is going to get good position on you and fly past you to the net.

Mike Bossy's career was cut short at ten years (9 consecutive 50+ goal seasons and 38 in 63 games in his tenth season) because of a bad back caused by the beating he took on the ice. Mario Lemieux had back issues because of the beating he took on the ice. That stuff has always gone on as long as I've watched the game, which is about 35 years now.

ADVERTISEMENT