ADVERTISEMENT

Will Fries

novaclassof90

Jun 10, 2002
I thought he did a decent job coming in the 2nd half to play right tackle. It looked like he got beat a couple times by the speed rush around the end but he was far better than what Mahon showed. Mahon was nothing more than a speed bump in the first half. Gotta believe that Wright is back to #1 if healthy this week with Fries moving up to #2 at that position.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I thought he did a decent job coming in the 2nd half to play right tackle. It looked like he got beat a couple times by the speed rush around the end but he was far better than what Mahon showed. Mahon was nothing more than a speed bump in the first half. Gotta believe that Wright is back to #1 if healthy this week with Fries moving up to #2 at that position.
Nelson

As much as it pains me to say it because of how much of a warrior he's been for this program, but Nelson has seemed to have lost a step in a big way after his injuries. Maybe he's not 100% quite yet, but I think it's fair to call into question whether he can ever get back to 100%.

I thought Fries played pretty well in the second half - Nelson (Iowa) gave him problems with his length, and Epinosa is a five star recruit who is a really, really impressive true freshman. Those guys would be tough customers for a whole bunch of right tackles in this conference.

Reactions: m48tank and Gnat91
Why we did not provide help, with a chip block baffled me. That would have allowed the RT to push the DE into the pile, & negate his speed.

No offense to Nelson but I always felt he was only considered good because everyone else was soooo bad. Nelson was also the guy that was guilty of blocking his own teammate vs Northwestern and during the Pinstripe bowl there was an instance that he started to pass block on a running play.

No offense to Nelson but I always felt he was only considered good because everyone else was soooo bad. Nelson was also the guy that was guilty of blocking his own teammate vs Northwestern and during the Pinstripe bowl there was an instance that he started to pass block on a running play.
that was Gaia if my memory is correct

Reactions: RandyL
Why we did not provide help, with a chip block baffled me. That would have allowed the RT to push the DE into the pile, & negate his speed.

I agree. Or, the DE left a huge hole behind him. Turn in the slot receiver and hit him in stride. The MLB is going to be obsessed with #26 anyway.

Another option is a QB draw.

Tough assignment for Fries after being primarily a LT, then starting his very first game as a LG...then switching to RT under these circumstances.
Expect him to improve and probably rapidly.

I'll take an order of BIG BACON, with a side of FRIES. I'll keep a NELSON KNOCKWURST on the back burner just in case, and that sounds like a plan.

We'll know if Chasz is back tomorrow at about 12:30 or so. If you don't hear his name mentioned by Franklin, he's out, if you do, he's in.

ADVERTISEMENT