ADVERTISEMENT

Why wouldn’t you choose to wrestle at PSU

goethe14

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2011
The numbers are ridiculous at this point.
Semi Finals percentage at 90%
Consecutive finals victories over 10

So you chose not to wrestle at PSU because:

Crazy NIL deal
Family connections at a school that run deep
You’re an aspiring sumo wrestler
The podium is good enough…

Add your thoughts as needed please

Crazy NIL deal

Most kids grow up with a favorite wrestling program no different than CFB - this can play a major role in a kid's decision. In addition, there are Nationally ranked HS wrestlers who wanted to wrestle for PSU because PSU didn't have scholarship availability for them because they choose to use it on another wrestler.... or PSU has a RS or trueFR at their preferred weight...., etc... Essentially, a kid is not going to "walk-on" at PSU if they're nationally ranked and good enough to get a full-ride elsewhere.

Most kids grow up with a favorite wrestling program no different than CFB - this can play a major role in a kid's decision. In addition, there are Nationally ranked HS wrestlers who wanted to wrestle for PSU because PSU didn't have scholarship availability for them because they choose to use it on another wrestler.... or PSU has a RS or trueFR at their preferred weight...., etc... Essentially, a kid is not going to "walk-on" at PSU if they're nationally ranked and good enough to get a full-ride elsewhere.

If our NIL program is shaping up this will help this.

Speaking of money, today would be a great day for Penn State wrestling to raise $$$.

Reactions: Ski
I dont know if PSU will have the NIL latitude of the big football schools.

If our football team isnt doing it, no other programs will. But who knows what a new AD will push for or allow.

Reasons to come to PSU
- fans cheer with cupped hands
- team is laser focused
- best internetting by anonymous people

Reasons not
- get tired of winning
- love of dead lifting
- school of choice can find your family a job

If our football team isnt doing it, no other programs will. But who knows what a new AD will push for or allow.

Reasons to come to PSU
- team is laser focused

Reasons not
- get tired of winning
- love of dead lifting
More reasons not:
- love of tanning
- practices too much fun, not tough enough
- think you should cut to 197 instead of eat to HWT
- proximity to Dad's shakes
- no room at the inn

I hear, repeatedly, about how the program, it’s coaches and it’s wrestlers live cleanly. They eat right, sleep right, stay mentally right (and are helped in doing so) and many are spiritual.

I think that is the best recipe for success and, especially, health in a sport as tough as wrestling.

I can also see how certain young athletes who obtain their mental edge by living differently may find it less appealing.

That’s without even getting into financial aid and making varsity.

So many reasons not to. Family reasons. Pre-existing relationships at other schools. Location. Scholarship money offered by other schools. The list is long...

PSU is still pretty awesome though.

How many top recruits do we miss out on simply because of timing? For example, if you're the nation's number one recruit you're not coming to PSU to sit behind a Jason Nolf or Bo Nickal for a few years.

Reasons to come to PSU
- team is laser focused

Reasons not
- get tired of winning
- love of dead lifting
Dislike noodle arms
Don’t want to look smaller than opponents
Prefer massive weight cuts
Realize iron doesn’t sharpen iron
Fear of getting ragdolled

How many top recruits do we miss out on simply because of timing? For example, if you're the nation's number one recruit you're not coming to PSU to sit behind a Jason Nolf or Bo Nickal for a few years.
It happens, but IMO it's nearly impossible to quantify -- because a lot of those guys cross PSU off before they get down to final schools lists.

For the guys who have PSU among their finalists, probably few are concerned about making the lineup -- and certainly none of the alpha males. Lee, Snyder, Fix, Jordan, Gwiazdowski, Ferrari ... none of them went elsewhere because of lineup concerns.

It's possible some guys make that choice indirectly -- meaning their PSU offers were smaller until they earned their lineup spot.

Crazy NIL deal

Number one reason is you might not be good enough to start/get in the lineup/bumped out the lineup

The Title IX BS hurts PSU and other programs too. When I was at Penn State, you could walk on and be part of the practices as long as you were decent enough to keep up with everyone and didn't become a distraction during practices. There were a bunch of guys in the room who were pretty good wrestlers who didn't have a hope of starting but still wanted to participate. Title IX changed the rules so that now teams have to comply with a negative quota system.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
If your weight puts you in a weight class that PSU has filled for the next few years, you might want to look elsewhere so you can start.

Honestly, the religiosity may be a turn off for a kid who is an atheist, Jewish, muslim etc. or maybe is on the fence about the existence of God.
Maybe. But maybe it is more about having a belief in things bigger than oneself and the long-view beyond the immediate moment.

I know our military academies encourage some religious faith and support any.

Contemplation of death, regardless of any religion, can lead to living a better life.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
I'll say: when I tried to walk-on, the NCAA made me do a blood cell test, and that kinda spooked me out. Made me think about all the tests and surveillance a college athlete has to go through. Much different than drinking a 40 at a club wrestling tournament two years later.

I'm sure wrestling for the team would've been cool, but telling Mason Manville that he headlocked me at a tournament in HS when he got on campus was much better. Love to be a fan of this team, and can't wait to see who makes the obvious choice to wrestle here in the future!

Geography: parents want to see their sons wrestle.
$$$'s: easier-to-get scholarship monies.
Nepotism: already mentioned above.
Friends: knowing others on a schools roster.
Fit: coachability, nature, values, beliefs, wrestling style, character (do they "fit").
Academics: I'd consider Stanford, Northwestern, the Ivy's, etc. too if given the chance.
RTC's: freestyle development, aspirations are better at certain schools.

It happens, but IMO it's nearly impossible to quantify -- because a lot of those guys cross PSU off before they get down to final schools lists.

For the guys who have PSU among their finalists, probably few are concerned about making the lineup -- and certainly none of the alpha males. Lee, Snyder, Fix, Jordan, Gwiazdowski, Ferrari ... none of them went elsewhere because of lineup concerns.

It's possible some guys make that choice indirectly -- meaning their PSU offers were smaller until they earned their lineup spot.
Jordan said he didnt want to go to PSU because they didnt practice hard enough!ROFLMFAO good for him

ADVERTISEMENT