ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

I fell for the Echemendia trap, I admit it--I thought he was going to be a force, even if his mat wrestling was Abe-esque. But this result is surprising. Decatur must feel better at 141....

Wow! That is a crazy result to me. I too bought into the Echemendia hype. I thought just on his neutral offense alone he was going to be a force. What’s interesting is that this is just the preliminary match at 141. The winner (Decatur) now faces D’Emilio for the spot. I think Decatur will definitely be better at 141 but he still can’t get off bottom and has one of the worst gas tanks I’ve ever seen. Maybe going at 141 and not cutting weight will help that problem. I still think D’Emilio wins that match pitting Echemendia 3rd string.

Wow! That is a crazy result to me. I too bought into the Echemendia hype. I thought just on his neutral offense alone he was going to be a force. What’s interesting is that this is just the preliminary match at 141. The winner (Decatur) now faces D’Emilio for the spot. I think Decatur will definitely be better at 141 but he still can’t get off bottom and has one of the worst gas tanks I’ve ever seen. Maybe going at 141 and not cutting weight will help that problem. I still think D’Emilio wins that match pitting Echemendia 3rd string.
It seemed pretty clear (or at least widely suspected) that Decatur was having trouble with the cut. Coincident with Decatur’s move up in weight, I think Echemendia is rumored to be targeting 133. Perhaps he was underweight for this match and/or already struggling with a descent.

But, then again, it is super early, and there has been a pattern of tOSU wrestlers being a hot mess during the first half. This could just be another example of it.

It seemed pretty clear (or at least widely suspected) that Decatur was having trouble with the cut. Coincident with Decatur’s move up in weight, I think Echemendia is rumored to be targeting 133. Perhaps he was underweight for this match and/or already struggling with a descent.

But, then again, it is super early, and there has been a pattern of tOSU wrestlers being a hot mess during the first half. This could just be another example of it.

Echemendia isn't a "mess" - he's just not that good. Especially at folk. If he's not far and away the better athlete on the mat, he's not winning the match. He can't handfight, and yeah, he's really bad on bottom. He literally went to the worst place to get better at folkstyle wrestling in the top 20.

Ech at 133? Wow that guy is one solid muscle, how the hell can he cut 8 pounds??

Echemendia isn't a "mess" - he's just not that good. Especially at folk. If he's not far and away the better athlete on the mat, he's not winning the match. He can't handfight, and yeah, he's really bad on bottom. He literally went to the worst place to get better at folkstyle wrestling in the top 20.
I think there is room for elements of both of our statements to be true.

ICYMI, Joe Kania started tweeting some screenshots of his texts w/ Pyles today, then removed them, but the internet remembers:

Not trying to stir up a cesspool, but I can say that I'm glad there are other companies out there starting to erode at the flo monopoly. Competition is what will make our favored sport blossom further, clearly.

Last edited:
ICYMI, Joe Kania started tweeting some screenshots of his texts w/ Pyles today, then removed them, but the internet remembers:

Not trying to stir up a cesspool, but I can say that I'm glad there are other companies out there starting to erode at the flo monopoly. Competition is what will make our favored sport blossom further, clearly.
Part of me knows that if the particulars of any negotiation are laid out on table, no one comes away looking good. But it's still striking to see Pyles cite the rationale for not including a wrestler on their card is "because of how they've treated us," and then segue to paranoia about anti-Flo cabals. Also noteworthy that even in what he thought was a private message, Pyles can't help but blame someone else for the decision. Salata is right.

Reactions: Ski and nerfstate
Anybody else tuning into Stalemates tonight? I missed the first one. Very interested to see what it’s like. Wish I had athletes competing and hiked down there for it live, but next best thing.

Reactions: jtothemfp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT