ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Gilman says some much more inflammatory things earlier than that. If Iowa fans aren't triggered before 11:11, they're either rational or dead.
It's more brutal than I expected. Kind of gratuitous even.

One interesting piece of news Gilman broke (that I'd not heard anyway) was that the upcoming Sept. 19 match against Cruz was originally offered to Spencer Lee and then Micic, who both passed. Gilman suggested Iowa didn't hesitate to pass. Too bad too, because it would've been a bigger headliner than Bo and Ringer.

It's more brutal than I expected. Kind of gratuitous even.

One interesting piece of news Gilman broke (that I'd not heard anyway) was that the upcoming Sept. 19 match against Cruz was originally offered to Spencer Lee and then Micic, who both passed. Gilman suggested Iowa didn't hesitate to pass. Too bad too, because it would've been a bigger headliner than Bo and Ringer.
Per Willie, a student, in order to take part in the NLWC event would have to take a redshirt of some sort this year as they are barred from participating in any events between the start of the semester and Nov. 1st unless it is a USA wrestling event. He wrote about it in his Rokfin page and bc of this he believes that Kerk and Wood will both be redshirting this year. That might explain why we do not see any other Penn St wrestlers or Spencer/Micic. Also, I have not asked a follow up to him if the BTS event follows the same rules bc they have Gable, Hilger and Vito set to compete.

Per Willie, a student, in order to take part in the NLWC event would have to take a redshirt of some sort this year as they are barred from participating in any events between the start of the semester and Nov. 1st unless it is a USA wrestling event. He wrote about it in his Rokfin page and bc of this he believes that Kerk and Wood will both be redshirting this year. That might explain why we do not see any other Penn St wrestlers or Spencer/Micic. Also, I have not asked a follow up to him if the BTS event follows the same rules bc they have Gable, Hilger and Vito set to compete.

I think (not sure) that Willie is correct. Makes me wonder why some are not participating in this event since it sounds (based on noises made here) that everyone that can will be taking a redshirt, so how come RBY, Nick Lee, Brooks are not competing? Maybe they couldn't find a suitable opponent for any of them. In any case I am REALLY looking forward to watching live wrestling on 9/19. A lot of great matchups. NLWC participants look (to me) to be the favorite in most matches, but they wrestle the matches for a reason.

I think (not sure) that Willie is correct. Makes me wonder why some are not participating in this event since it sounds (based on noises made here) that everyone that can will be taking a redshirt, so how come RBY, Nick Lee, Brooks are not competing? Maybe they couldn't find a suitable opponent for any of them. In any case I am REALLY looking forward to watching live wrestling on 9/19. A lot of great matchups. NLWC participants look (to me) to be the favorite in most matches, but they wrestle the matches for a reason.
Most likely keeping options open.

The Kerk-to-Snacks difference maybe could cost a title. The steps down from RBY, Lee, and Brooks could cost being in contention.

Reactions: hlstone

Daton might need to take an additional redshirt. Will not be eligible until Fed. 10/11, 2021. At least I think he would be ineligible for NCAA competition while he is suspended by USADA. The circumstances seem weird as it seems they are saying it was his dad's fault.

FloKaren trolling Cael

This has got to be one of the most lopsided matches on the card. Mike Macchiavello is a good wrestler; Kyle Snyder is Kyle Snyder. Mike Mach can't beat Bo Nickal; how the hell is he going to beat Snyder?

Great to hear Gilman provide some mentorship to RBY. I was frustrated that RBY didn't go for the tech against Mueller and I'm glad that Gilman talked to him about it. If Mueller had caught RBY the right way, it could have gone from what looked like a sure thing for RBY to a pin for Mueller. Keep on going with what had been working and finish the match. You can't lose if you tech fall someone at 5:00; you CAN lose if you're up by 8 at 5:50.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Kerk has the Olympic redshirt to use. OSU counted as a regular redshirt because he took too many classes at OSU to apply the Oly Shirt last year.

Kerk has the Olympic redshirt to use. OSU counted as a regular redshirt because he took too many classes at OSU to apply the Oly Shirt last year.
Where is the rule that specifies max # credits for an Olympic Shirt?

I’m currently enjoying a zombie thread on TheMat re: Keyshawn Hayes’ Title hopes in 2020. There were a few posts about how he’d probably beat Lee at 141, with 1 PSU hater (not one of the top-tier haters, more like a Round of 12 hater) claiming Hayes wouldn’t need a 7 minute gas tank to beat Nick.

😂 Nick would leave a cutting to 141 Hayes in a heap on the mat by the end of the 2nd. It’s amazing how hatred corrupts any kind of clear logic and analysis.

Last edited:
I’m currently enjoying a zombie thread on TheMat re: Keyshawn Hayes’ Title hopes in 2020. There were a few posts about how he’d probably beat Lee at 141, with 1 PSU hater (not one of the top-tier haters, more like a Round of 12 hater) claiming Hayes wouldn’t need a 7 minute gas tank to beat Nick.

😂 Nick would leave a cutting to 141 Hayes in a heap on the mat by the end of the 2nd. It’s amazing how hatred corrupts any kind of clear logic and analysis.

I have never seen a wrestler who looked less interested in wrestling than Hayes. He was like if Ed Ruth sucked.

I have never seen a wrestler who looked less interested in wrestling than Hayes. He was like if Ed Ruth sucked.
Did anyone score more than 1 TD against Zain in his college career? Maybe Port or Steiber did, I'm not sure--but still. Hayes deserves a modicum of respect for doing that. Of course, he threw most of that out the window by being in permanent backup mode after the 2nd TD....

I agree that Hayes would not need 7 minutes to "finish" a match vs. Nick though. lol.

Did anyone score more than 1 TD against Zain in his college career? Maybe Port or Steiber did, I'm not sure--but still. Hayes deserves a modicum of respect for doing that. Of course, he threw most of that out the window by being in permanent backup mode after the 2nd TD....

I agree that Hayes would not need 7 minutes to "finish" a match vs. Nick though. lol.
When was the legendary match where they rolled out of bounds with Hayes on top of Zain, Zain relaxes on his back, Flo takes screenshot and says “was Zain pinned?”

Last edited:
Reactions: Grass and Dogwelder
In fairness to Hayes, has any recent wrestler been jerked around the lineup by his coach like that?

Without Hayes, we would not have the "Avoid Zain Wrestle-Off" joke, and then the next year the "Avoid Jason Wrestle-Off" joke.

And those were both shams. As if Tan Tom would've really run an undersized McKenna into Zain's weight, or forced Micah Jordan to endure Two-Legged Jason Nolf after the 16-0 humiliation by One-Legged Jason.

Zahid Speaks. Currently listening. Talks Brooks, Hall, Air Guitar so far--nothing yet on his suspension, etc, but I think it's coming. Be forwarned, the young man doesn't lack confidence.

*edit* He just discusses the suspension without really discussing the specifics. expects to be eligible for Olympic trials. Ends with a prompted call-out to David Taylor

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Tough question. You can’t force chemistry. The formula is a straight man, a shot-from-hip color guy, and a nerdy stat type. But who needs a formula?

Love hearing Gibbons doting on how Keshawn was "competing" while he had his face mushed into the mat the entire 2nd and 3rd. Well....other than the times he was looking at lights...

I wasn’t aware of this precursor of a match. Some new context for that 1st NCAA Final.
That 2013 first-period pin explains the later shock and incredulity in Martin’s eyes as he was going to his back in the NCAA finals.

“Oh man, I can't f***ing believe this. Another match, an elevator. How can the same sh*t happen to the same guy twice?”

b02335b9877e3c2dc5911e33e9c56e2b.png

Reactions: 82bordeaux
ADVERTISEMENT