ADVERTISEMENT

Why was the play where the Lion player flattened the pitt punt returner

The refs were a non-factor today. If you want to complain about them ignoring "the slap" that's fine but other than that all 3 calls against us (that's right, 3) were correctly called. The Big Ten officials could have reviewed for targeting but, at least how I interrupt the rule, there was no targeting in this game.

Dang... I thought they sucked. Pass interference call was horrible and I could go on.....i’m Looking forward to watching replay based on your comments....

How about the ridiculous 1st Down they called to stop the clock with 9 seconds - Pitt receiver was at least a yard short, and the SJ called him down in the field of play and signalled so by winding his arm which is why clock operator correctly ran clock. The late official on the spot then ran in grabbed the football and marked it as a 1st Down and said clock had 6 seconds (which they then changed to 9 seconds!). How on earth did the replay officials not review that spot???, because if he was short game was over right there as clock ran to zero as player was tackled in-bounds - how in the hell do you not review that play and spot when the rulebook says all such plays inside 2 minutes MUST be reviewed!

They called a good game, but they lost control in the last 10 seconds of the game. It was clearly a catch for a first down with the Pitt receiver staying in bounds. Clock stops until the chains are set. They flubbed it and ended up stopping play as a result. It helped Pitt because they had no TOs and would’ve had to get to the line to kill the clock.

No it wasn't - the Pitt receiver ran a comeback route of his own volition, he does not get forward progress to where he caught the ball when his route brought him back across the line. It's where the ball is when he goes down on a diving comeback route and he was clearly short of the mark. You're full of it that he gets forward progress on that catch to where he first caught it - he doesn't. The ball should have been marked where the ball was when he landed from his voluntary "comeback diving catch", which again was at least a yard short of the 1st Down Mark and in the Field Of Play (i.e., clock should have run to zero as the initial official clearly indicated).

Reactions: royboy and BBrown
That's not the rule so anyone arguing that would be making the wrong argument.

Here's the actual rule:

It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team A player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders and extending one yard in front of him

By that rule, it's a close call, but the rule goes on to add "When in question it is a foul." Since it's such a close call, I don't think you can argue that it clearly was outside a yard, so calling a penalty was correct.

hmmm Then the call should have been made on nearly every punt of the day in this game and every other.... no one gets a yard....ever.

Last edited:
He obviously only read part of it. The part after the catch.
Before the catch you have to give the returner 1 yard.
Here you can educate your B-i-L ...
It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team A player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders and extending one yard in front of him. When in question it is a foul.

Which is never the case on any punt reception anymore.... on any field... In any game.... and it;s never called.

Reactions: BBrown
hmmm Then the call should have been made on nearly every punt of the day in this game and every other.... no one gets a yard....ever.

Which is never the case on any punt reception anymore.... on any field... In any game.... and it;s never called.

I've heard of blue goggles and beer goggles. Not sure what kind you're wearing when you watch games but players abide by this rule all the time. It's unusual for someone to get inside a yard and it's almost always called.

That's not the rule so anyone arguing that would be making the wrong argument.

Here's the actual rule:

It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team A player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders and extending one yard in front of him

By that rule, it's a close call, but the rule goes on to add "When in question it is a foul." Since it's such a close call, I don't think you can argue that it clearly was outside a yard, so calling a penalty was correct.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR19.pdf

Bookmark above link for future rules discussions.

Rule 6 / KICKS Section 4 (which @UncleLar already quoted):

Code:
SECTION 4. Opportunity To Catch a Kick
Interference With Opportunity
ARTICLE 1. a. If an inbounds player of the receiving team is located where he
could catch a free kick or a scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone,
and if he is attempting to do so, he must be given an unimpeded opportunity
to catch the kick (A.R. 6-3-1-III, A.R. 6-4-1-V, VI and IX).
b. It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team A
player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders and
extending one yard in front of him. When in question it is a foul.(A.R.
6-4-1-X-XIII)
c. This protection ends when the kick touches the ground (Exception:
Free kick, par. f below), when any player of Team B muffs or touches a
scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone, or when any player of Team
B muffs or touches a free kick in the field of play or in the end zone
(Exception: Rule 6-5-1-b) (A.R. 6-4-1-IV).
FR-70 Rule 6 / Kicks
d. If interference with a potential receiver is the result of a player being
blocked by an opponent, it is not a foul.
e. It is an interference foul if the kicking team contacts the potential receiver
before, or simultaneous to, his first touching the ball (A.R. 6-4-1-II, III,
and VIII). When in question, it is an interference foul.
f. During a free kick a player of the receiving team in position to receive the
ball has the same kick-catch and fair-catch protection whether the ball is
kicked directly off the tee or is immediately driven to the ground, strikes
the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of the ball kicked
directly off the tee.
g. If contact by Team A is deemed to be a targeting foul (Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-
4) or any other personal foul that interferes with the receiver’s opportunity
to catch a kick, it may be ruled either as interference or as a targeting or
personal foul. The 15-yard penalty is enforced at the spot where the dead
ball belongs to Team B or at the spot of the foul, at the option of Team B.
PENALTY [a-g]—For foul between the goal lines (other than a foul behind
the B-25 on a free kick): Receiving team’s ball, first down,
15 yards beyond the spot of the foul for an interference foul
[S33].
For a foul on a free kick play behind the B-25-yard line
against a player who has given a valid fair catch signal: Penalize
from the B-25 [S33].
For foul behind the goal line: Award a touchback and
penalize from the succeeding spot [S33].
Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified [S47].

I've heard of blue goggles and beer goggles. Not sure what kind you're wearing when you watch games but players abide by this rule all the time. It's unusual for someone to get inside a yard and it's almost always called.

BS

Yes... he had it cradled and secured before he was it.... they quickly brushed it off on flash replays ..... I think it was just a bad call. Don't know how you can argue that he was not given the room to catch the ball when he did and had it under control.

Otherwise the refs, IMO called a good game.

I'll disagree with the good game. The PI call on 3rd and long against Reid was horrible. He tripped and fell.
There should have been a PI call on the big catch/non catch by Chisnea.
I don't think the flag on the punt return was right. He timed it perfectly.
The pitt dback took a shot at one of wr's right in front of the ref.
I thought they were pretty bad.
Also should have called PI on the Hipenhammer catch. He was hit early.

I think the refs did well, except for the punt return. Both calls on Reid were correct. It seems like they let them play.

The one call on reid was wrong. He tripped and fell.
Steve and Jack are pretty neutral with refs but both thought it was a horrible call.
Hippenhammer was also hit before the ball.
The pitt dback thew a punch at our WR walking back out of our EZ in front of the ref.
They stunk.

Reactions: Fibes
The one call on reid was wrong. He tripped and fell.
Steve and Jack are pretty neutral with refs but both thought it was a horrible call.
Hippenhammer was also hit before the ball.
The pitt dback thew a punch at our WR walking back out of our EZ in front of the ref.
They stunk.
Rewatched and the call on Reid was correct. He had his hands on the receiver right off the line of scrimmage and gave him a slight push in the back as the ball got there so it was a correct call. Reid did not have a good game yesterday.

Rewatched and the call on Reid was correct. He had his hands on the receiver right off the line of scrimmage and gave him a slight push in the back as the ball got there so it was a correct call. Reid did not have a good game yesterday.

Please, they let ASWP corners get away with far worse - they literally tackled a PSU player before the ball got there and nothing was called. BTW, I guess we're just going to ignore that the ball was not remotely catchable - it was thrown well over both Reid's and the receiver's heads. It was not PI - you're full of it.

Last edited:
Please, they let ASWP corners get away with far worse - they literally tackled a PSU player before the ball got there and nothing was called. BTW, I guess we're just going to ignore that the ball was not remotely catchable - it was thrown well over both Reid's and the receivers heads. It was not PI - you're full of it.
Yeah, full of factual information, but let’s not let reality get in the way of your fantasy.

Yeah, full of factual information, but let’s not let reality get in the way of your fantasy.

Too funny, go look at the replay genius - the ball is way over both players' heads and lands 10 yards downfield of the spot where both players go down as they both lunge forward. That's a "fact" fantasy-man unlike your made-up bullshit nonsense about Reid "shoving" anyone. LOL

Last edited:
Too funny, go look at the replay genius - the ball is way over both players' heads and lands 10 yards downfield of the spot where both players go down as the lunge forward. That's a "fact" fantasy-man unlike you made-up bullshit nonsense about Reid "shoving" anyone. LOL

source.gif

giphy.gif

The refs were a non-factor today. If you want to complain about them ignoring "the slap" that's fine but other than that all 3 calls against us (that's right, 3) were correctly called. The Big Ten officials could have reviewed for targeting but, at least how I interrupt the rule, there was no targeting in this game.
Lol Clifford was targeted.

I will watch the replay....but what i did see with my own 2 eyaes on the play from the north endzone was the line judge running in from the Pitt sideline and DID NOT throw a flag until he saw PSU with the football. Total HORSESHIT. and when Pitt had the ball on the one, the drive that Nardouche screwed up, the third down play we tackled Picket on the 3 and somehow they get 4th down from the one. But thankfully Pitt has Nardouche as a coach and he bails us out...

I will watch the replay....but what i did see with my own 2 eyaes on the play from the north endzone was the line judge running in from the Pitt sideline and DID NOT throw a flag until he saw PSU with the football. Total HORSESHIT. and when Pitt had the ball on the one, the drive that Nardouche screwed up, the third down play we tackled Picket on the 3 and somehow they get 4th down from the one. But thankfully Pitt has Nardouche as a coach and he bails us out...
watch the replay, the official is immediately reaching for his flag on the catch interference

Without watching the replay, I think Pickett threw it away on the 3rd down. Cam Brown was in on him immediately but I thought he threw it away rather than being tackled by Brown.

Apparently Chisena arrived a hair too early and did not give returner an opportunity to catch the ball.

Tough day for him with this penalty and the dropped pass on replay.

He did catch the ball, so how did he not give him the opportunity to catch it?

Plus generous spots for Pitt first downs and the missed helmet to helmet hit on Clifford, but otherwise, sure, good game from the zebras...

I already mentioned all those things in other posts.... along with asking why pitt players were allowed to punch and continue hitting punch and tackling PSU players for 2-3-4 minutes after the whistle blew without one or to being ejected. It's called sarcasm.

Rule was posted earlier...have to give the return man the width of his shoulder pads and a yard to the front. I was with you until someone pointed it out yesterday.

Remember the old halo rule? Was like a 3 yard halo around the returner that a defender couldn't violate. I never liked the rule but with the focus on player safety, I'm surprised it went away. Maybe they could reinstate it as a 5 yard penalty and then have a more egregious offense be a 15 yard penalty. Whatever you rooting interests, that play was a very dangerous play for the Pitt player.

Reactions: canuckhal
Remember the old halo rule? Was like a 3 yard halo around the returner that a defender couldn't violate. I never liked the rule but with the focus on player safety, I'm surprised it went away. Maybe they could reinstate it as a 5 yard penalty and then have a more egregious offense be a 15 yard penalty. Whatever you rooting interests, that play was a very dangerous play for the Pitt player.
I thought they did away with any cushion. I always assumed that’s why guys could stand right next to a returner as he was catching. Agreed the halo seems like a decent rule.

Reactions: flash86

I agree, my bitch is that I can put together a hundred punt receptions a week during season where the punting teams have someone inside the current miniscule halo and nothing is called unless you hit the guy after he has secured the catch. They need to reinstate the 23 yard rule because the current rule is not enforced and therefore useless. No one is giving a punt receiver a foot radius around him to catch the punt and the refs can't figure out how to call the damn thing unless they defer on every punt to the replay booth which would be havoc.

I thought they did away with any cushion. I always assumed that’s why guys could stand right next to a returner as he was catching. Agreed the halo seems like a decent rule.

Yes, they did do away with the cushion. Which just seems really odd given the focus on player safety. Is there a more defenseless player than a punt returner looking up at a punt while several large humans run full speed right at him?

Yes, they did do away with the cushion. Which just seems really odd given the focus on player safety. Is there a more defenseless player than a punt returner looking up at a punt while several large humans run full speed right at him?
Chisena is only like 6-2 205 and fast...couldn’t hurt much.

Reactions: Madsol

You can stand next to a guy but if you stand directly in front of him, you have to give him a yard.

I agree, my bitch is that I can put together a hundred punt receptions a week during season where the punting teams have someone inside the current miniscule halo and nothing is called unless you hit the guy after he has secured the catch. They need to reinstate the 23 yard rule because the current rule is not enforced and therefore useless. No one is giving a punt receiver a foot radius around him to catch the punt and the refs can't figure out how to call the damn thing unless they defer on every punt to the replay booth which would be havoc.

Please indulge me. Not asking for a hundred. I'd settle for a handful. Seriously doubt that you'll be able to find even those few despite your ridiculous claim that it happened almost every time in our game.

P.S. You do understand that it is not a one yard halo, don't you?

Last edited:
Reactions: gogolion
You can stand next to a guy but if you stand directly in front of him, you have to give him a yard.

Please indulge me. Not asking for a hundred. I'd settle for a handful. Seriously doubt that you'll be able to find even those few despite your ridiculous claim that it happened almost every time in our game.

P.S. You do understand that it is not a one yard halo, don't you?

First punt of the game. Pitt guy stands within one yard of Hamler but no flag.

Punt-1.jpg

Correct call. Pitt player is within a yard but he is NOT directly in front of the punt returner, i.e. within the "width of the receiver’s shoulders".

Brother-in-law checked the rule. Once the returner touches it he is fair game. Should not have been a penalty. Refs were bad all game.
False. Not sure who your brother is, but.......

Under Rule 6 NCAA 2019 Football rules......the receiver gets

1) the width of his shoulders

plus

2) 1 yard extending out in front of him

and the caveat ......that

3)if there is doubt.......it is a penalty....

hopefully we can now put it to rest............

No it wasn't - the Pitt receiver ran a comeback route of his own volition, he does not get forward progress to where he caught the ball when his route brought him back across the line. It's where the ball is when he goes down on a diving comeback route and he was clearly short of the mark. You're full of it that he gets forward progress on that catch to where he first caught it - he doesn't. The ball should have been marked where the ball was when he landed from his voluntary "comeback diving catch", which again was at least a yard short of the 1st Down Mark and in the Field Of Play (i.e., clock should have run to zero as the initial official clearly indicated).
The PSU player contacted the Pitt player past the first down line. It’s pretty clearly a first down when watching the replay.

Jack Ham said he was penalized for perfect timing.

You could certainly argue that but what you can't argue is that the ref incorrectly threw a flag. You may not like the rule, but under the rule it was correctly called as a penalty.

False. Not sure who your brother is, but.......

Under Rule 6 NCAA 2019 Football rules......the receiver gets

1) the width of his shoulders

plus

2) 1 yard extending out in front of him

and the caveat ......that

3)if there is doubt.......it is a penalty....

hopefully we can now put it to rest............

Unlikely since the other three times the rule was pointed out people still complained.

Brother-in-law checked the rule. Once the returner touches it he is fair game. Should not have been a penalty. Refs were bad all game.
IF that is the rule, then someone should be called out for it. There wss no question the ball hit the receiver's hands before Chisena hit him. My guess is there are a LOT of refs who have NO idea what the rules currently are... frnakjly, neither do I... but I'm not getting paid to know... they are.

IF that is the rule, then someone should be called out for it. There wss no question the ball hit the receiver's hands before Chisena hit him. My guess is there are a LOT of refs who have NO idea what the rules currently are... frnakjly, neither do I... but I'm not getting paid to know... they are.

That's NOT THE RULE. The actual rule has been posted here several times. Rather than think there are "a LOT of refs who have NO idea what the rules currently are", start thinking that most of the jamokes that scream bloody murder at the refs are much more likely to be the ones who have no idea about the rules".

That's NOT THE RULE. The actual rule has been posted here several times. Rather than think there are "a LOT of refs who have NO idea what the rules currently are", start thinking that most of the jamokes that scream bloody murder at the refs are much more likely to be the ones who have no idea about the rules".
2 things. ok, 3.

First, I clearly said "IF"...

Second, the rules have changed so many times over the past 2 years that few of us have it clear.

And third (yeah, 3 things), the Pac-12 just admitted their refs totally F'D up the leaping call and, frankly, MSU is tied and playing OT instead of losing. Oh wait... ooops.

The refs are often quite clueless (witness the Eagles last play where instead of marking the ball where it was caught -- the point where Ertz had control before being driven back -- they marked it further back and there was no need to bring in the chains...had they marked it correctly, he might be short, but it's close as hell and the chains tell the tale...not the refs). We see it ALL the time.

So while I admit the jamokes are usually wrong, they are often correct and the paid officials are, in fact, wrong. Agree that "it's life" but in CFB a loss caused by an ignorant offical can cause all sorts of problems that can ruin a season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT