ADVERTISEMENT

Why was the play where the Lion player flattened the pitt punt returner

furfoot

Jan 28, 2002
flagged? I thought they got rid of the "1 yard clear" rule a couple of years ago. Looked like the replay showed the pitt player catch the ball with no interference, and then get clobbered immediately. So what is the rule now? Good call or just the ACC officials?

Reactions: PSU65 and Sharkies
Yes... he had it cradled and secured before he was it.... they quickly brushed it off on flash replays ..... I think it was just a bad call. Don't know how you can argue that he was not given the room to catch the ball when he did and had it under control.

Otherwise the refs, IMO called a good game.

Yes... he had it cradled and secured before he was it.... they quickly brushed it off on flash replays ..... I think it was just a bad call. Don't know how you can argue that he was not given the room to catch the ball when he did and had it under control.

Dang... I thought they sucked. Pass interference call was horrible and I could go on.....i’m Looking forward to watching replay based on your comments....

Others disagree with good reffing - at least two questions to CJF at presser we’re about officiating and he refused to answer.

Was it good or bad today (been at HS VB tournament all day!)?

We are at PSU. Those refs sucked.

Apparently Chisena arrived a hair too early and did not give returner an opportunity to catch the ball.

Tough day for him with this penalty and the dropped pass on replay.

Last edited:

They called a good game, but they lost control in the last 10 seconds of the game. It was clearly a catch for a first down with the Pitt receiver staying in bounds. Clock stops until the chains are set. They flubbed it and ended up stopping play as a result. It helped Pitt because they had no TOs and would’ve had to get to the line to kill the clock.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and PSU65
They called a good game, but they lost control in the last 10 seconds of the game. It was clearly a catch for a first down with the Pitt receiver staying in bounds. Clock stops until the chains are set. They flubbed it and ended up stopping play as a result. It helped Pitt because they had no TOs and would’ve had to get to the line to kill the clock.

Called a good game? What were you drinking? Their db threw a punch right in front of the ref and he didn’t call a penalty. One of their linemen put his forearm on Clifford’s throat when getting up - again no flag. They lost control of the game imo.

Brother-in-law checked the rule. Once the returner touches it he is fair game. Should not have been a penalty. Refs were bad all game.

I think the refs did well, except for the punt return. Both calls on Reid were correct. It seems like they let them play.

Called a good game? What were you drinking? Their db threw a punch right in front of the ref and he didn’t call a penalty. One of their linemen put his forearm on Clifford’s throat when getting up - again no flag. They lost control of the game imo.
The Pitt players were talking a bit much out there, but the missed “punch” was much ado about nothing. The fact is there are calls missed and made every game that are questionable.

I always feel complaining about officiating is a loser mentality. Vince Lombardi always refused to talk about officiating because he felt that it’s a deflection from the team’s shortcomings.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
I thought they did a good job all day including the punt. If there is supposed to be a 1 yard buffer there clearly was not. Back in the day it was a perfect hit. By my understanding of the current rules I think it was right.

The spot looked off on that one too. He might have gotten the first down but it looked like he was given a full yard on top of that.

The Pitt players were talking a bit much out there, but the missed “punch” was much ado about nothing. The fact is there are calls missed and made every game that are questionable.

I always feel complaining about officiating is a loser mentality. Vince Lombardi always refused to talk about officiating because he felt that it’s a deflection from the team’s shortcomings.

And I believe in living in reality, calling out what actually happened.

Please cite the correct one.
He was reading from the rule book.
He obviously only read part of it. The part after the catch.
Before the catch you have to give the returner 1 yard.
Here you can educate your B-i-L ...
It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team A player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders and extending one yard in front of him. When in question it is a foul.

Reactions: JusticeBarkley
There was a helmet to helmet non call with clifford getting hit along the sidelines that they missed.

I saw that as well. They showed it in replay, no refs or announcers even mildly questioned it. I'll have to go back and find where it happened and watch it again.

Apparently Chisena arrived a hair too early and did not give returner an opportunity to catch the ball.

Tough day for him with this penalty and the dropped pass on replay.
How then, did he catch the ball? That call was BS

The spot looked off on that one too. He might have gotten the first down but it looked like he was given a full yard on top of that.
I thought we had Witvoet making the spots today. There were 5 or 6 bad spots, all in Pitt's favor. How about Pickett getting drilled at the 2 and spot placed ball back at line of scrimmage, at the 1.

Does anyone know what conference the officiating crew was from, because they were Big 10 bad? And also the overall penalty stats; that is, #sPitt penalties and penalty yards vs. the #Penn State penalties and penalty yards?

I tried to find these stats but couldn’t find them.

Does anyone know what conference the officiating crew was from, because they were Big 10 bad? And also the overall penalty stats; that is, #sPitt penalties and penalty yards vs. the #Penn State penalties and penalty yards?

ACC crew.

ACC with B1G in replay booth

2 penalties for 18 yards against Pitt, 3 penalties for 40 yards against PSU.

I was watching the game and listening to the game on the radio. At first, Ham et al said it was a penalty, just like the tv crew(who never seem to actually watch the game before blathering on), but after the replay, Ham changed his mind and said that Penn State was being penalized because the "gunner" timed it perfectly. That call, imo, changed the game...PSU would have had it fairly deep in pitt territory with a first down.

Last edited:

That's not the rule so anyone arguing that would be making the wrong argument.

Here's the actual rule:

It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team A player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders and extending one yard in front of him

By that rule, it's a close call, but the rule goes on to add "When in question it is a foul." Since it's such a close call, I don't think you can argue that it clearly was outside a yard, so calling a penalty was correct.

I thought we had Witvoet making the spots today. There were 5 or 6 bad spots, all in Pitt's favor. How about Pickett getting drilled at the 2 and spot placed ball back at line of scrimmage, at the 1.
I was wondering about that. The announcers even said, he's back on the (2 or 3 don't remember) and they're putting the ball back on the 1--and they did--couldn't believe it.

Reactions: Bob78 and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT