ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Last edited:
wow.....this cuts deep

I'll be that guy. I don't think you should win internet points for having kids in college and then treating it as reason you're better than others because you had more work and commitments. Props to him for stepping up and being a loving father and making it all work, but found that tweet to be pretty narcissistic.

I'll be that guy. I don't think you should win internet points for having kids in college and then treating it as reason you're better than others because you had more work and commitments. Props to him for stepping up and being a loving father and making it all work, but found that tweet to be pretty narcissistic.
Exactly, but then again that guy is generally narcissistic

I agree with your comments, but also respect his dedication to family, school, and wrestling. I never could have managed all three at his age. That’s impressive. I will be rooting for him.

Reactions: Fatmarc
It may have been narcissistic, I don"t know enough about him to have an opinion. However, young male student athlete strutting a successful effort is all that out of the norm. Stepping up and making it all work without whining about "poor me" is enough to make me give him a "thata boy". Wishing him success with everything.

Reactions: Dogwelder
It may have been narcissistic, I don"t know enough about him to have an opinion. However, young male student athlete strutting a successful effort is all that out of the norm. Stepping up and making it all work without whining about "poor me" is enough to make me give him a "thata boy". Wishing him success with everything.
Eric Olanowski is a decent wrestling broadcaster (I've seen him on ESPN and BTN), wrestled for Michigan State, I don't think he qualified for NCAAs. I think he graduated in 2012, so that photo would be from around then.

I don't want to be too judgey but my first thought was, you didn't "have twins," their mother did. Smarter family planning might've led to different timing choices but good for you for hanging in there and (I can only assume) being a good father while finishing up school. We don't know the division of labor, but I'd bet mom deserved at least a shout-out.

Reactions: nitlion6
I read the original tweet and I think:
This Eric Olanowski guy feels good about himself and is sharing his positive and successful self-talk, and he is inspiring me and making me think, and he did not promise he is perfect, and I want to give him a high five and a thumbs up, and I want to keep him feeling good by “filling his bucket” with positivity, as they say in my kid’s elementary school. I do not want to tear this kid down. Similarly, when my company hires someone like Sully the pilot to speak, and the man uses his own life as an example to inspire others, it does not occur to me to tear him down and call him narcissistic.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and tikk10
I read the original tweet and I think:
This Eric Olanowski guy feels good about himself and is sharing his positive and successful self-talk, and he is inspiring me and making me think, and he did not promise he is perfect, and I want to give him a high five and a thumbs up, and I want to keep him feeling good by “filling his bucket” with positivity, as they say in my kid’s elementary school. I do not want to tear this kid down. Similarly, when my company hires someone like Sully the pilot to speak, and the man uses his own life as an example to inspire others, it does not occur to me to tear him down and call him narcissistic.

Haha as a teacher, I very much enjoyed the filling bucket line. I think that's fine to take it that way, and good on you. I had a different take on it. I am not a post "about myself on social media" type of person so I roll my eyes when I see posts like these -- especially when they come with a "what's your excuse..."

His wording vs. "Throw it back to when I was in college with twins trying to juggle finals, wrestling, and a job! Wooo those were the days! #worthit"... He could still feel good about himself and not tear down (or elevate himself as superior) or rather empty other's buckets.

Perhaps it was dumb of me to even comment, as my issue is obviously more with the "look at me culture" of social media.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Haha as a teacher, I very much enjoyed the filling bucket line. I think that's fine to take it that way, and good on you. I had a different take on it. I am not a post "about myself on social media" type of person so I roll my eyes when I see posts like these -- especially when they come with a "what's your excuse..."

His wording vs. "Throw it back to when I was in college with twins trying to juggle finals, wrestling, and a job! Wooo those were the days! #worthit"... He could still feel good about himself and not tear down (or elevate himself as superior) or rather empty other's buckets.

Perhaps it was dumb of me to even comment, as my issue is obviously more with the "look at me culture" of social media.
That’s the power of words! It sounds like if he had just said “No excuses” he’d’ve annoyed fewer people. I sort of like the impact of “what’s your excuse?” though. A personal question challenges the listener to think.

It all comes down to trust. If we trust the intention of the speaker, then he can use colorful language more freely. Without trust, he is just an ass. If you trust that I’m a (fellow?) language nerd, then I’m just talking about what I’m thinking and (re)learning because I think it’s interesting, and you say: “Go nerd! Do your thing!” If you don’t trust me, then you resent that I’m boring you to death and think that I’m stating the obvious out of narcissistically liking my own voice. :)

Anyhow, I’d never heard of this guy, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and trusted him. And I (now) see where you’re coming from.

Last edited:
Reactions: bowandarrow
Not to step on any toes, but isn't social media, by default, an exercise in narcissism, to more or less degrees, depending on the person? So, Olanowski is just another person seeing that people notice something about him. As for me, I've never found the need to have to inform my several hundred "friends" that I'm now going to bed.

No, I have no twitter or facebook account, only LinkedIn.

Congrats and Good luck, Matt--you are a true lion!

and Bo, being Bo (I bet he would have found a way to get 5 yards on 4th down too--no disrespect to Sanders)

Reactions: Sullivan
Unfathomable. I will never comprehend the remorseless willingness to kill others over the abstract construct of ideology.

Sometimes I have long layovers or bad days at work and I will complain. When I read about tragedies like this, it makes me feel terribly foolish to whine about such trivial things.
Even less so play calls on 4th & 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT