ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

This is what some of the rest of us do.
pull-up.jpg

Or this (neither of these is me, but only because no one was filming when I was trying to get my chin over the bar):

OzCCWkc.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Does this mean Zain is not wrestling for a world team berth as the WTT's are May 18-20 in Minnesota?

Good point. Sounds like Zain may be taking the summer off and not wrestling freestyle. Bad for us fans but maybe good for Zain.

$65. Huh. Good for Zain.

That’s $65 more than I would pay to meet Tom Ryan.
There is something about Ryan that rubs many of us the wrong way, but I would kick 65 bucks into a kitty to go to dinner with the guy and listen to some of his wrestling stories.

Now if I had a choice between dinner with Ryan or Zain, I am going to Zain's table. I would invite Ryan to come along though. You know, just in case he wanted to learn how we would handle it.

The only relevant part of the tweet is in bold below. Everything else he stated is irrelevant and stinks of sour grapes. He could learn a thing or two from Kyle Snyder with regard to grace and sportsmanship. And some wonder why people rag on Ryan.

P.S. Tom: Zain won 3 titles too and in more dominating fashion. Kyle is truly great, but so is Zain.

No disrespect, but the @WINWrestlingMag Hodge Trophy
1f3c6.png
not having @Snyder_man45 name on it is bad for its value. Won 3 NCAA titles weighing 225 pounds. Was outweighed in the 3 finals a combined 150 pounds. Olympic Gold, 2x World Gold. No college wrestler won a match at Worlds.
Relevant?

There is something about Ryan that rubs many of us the wrong way, but I would kick 65 bucks into a kitty to go to dinner with the guy and listen to some of his wrestling stories.

Now if I had a choice between dinner with Ryan or Zain, I am going to Zain's table. I would invite Ryan to come along though. You know, just in case he wanted to learn how we would handle it.
Guess I'm not "many of us". Despite his quirkiness, in posting provocative tweets (as in annoying, irritating, insulting, inflaming, even infuriating to some), I have a hard time busting too much on a guy in a profession that I admire so. I've read enough about TR to say specifically, I respect Tom Ryan overall. Not saying I always agree with everything he does, but that's immaterial. Our differences are what make the world go round, who am I to judge. Heck, I even admire Tom Brands :):).

Last edited:
Guess I'm not "many of us". Despite his quirkiness, in posting provocative tweets (as in annoying, irritating, insulting, inflaming, even infuriating to some), I have a hard time busting too much on a guy in a profession that I admire so. I've read enough about TR to say specifically, I respect Tom Ryan overall. Not saying I always agree with everything he does, but that's immaterial. Our differences are what make the world go round, who am I to judge. Heck, I even admire Tom Brands :):).
This is a good solid post. I've been brutal toward him with the comments, tanning, etc...but just the other day a friend of mine on a fb wrestling group I am in(central pa based but with really impressive members, scads of former coaches, wrestlers, etc), told me about Tom and that deep down he's a good man. I dislike his still frame post match pics, some of his quirks, but at the end of the day his guys love him, and he is a good coach.

I have no doubt that Tom Ryan is very good man and he is a great coach. I also like that he promotes the sport, and his team, through social media, despite the fact that sometimes his stuff rubs me the wrong way.

Clearly, he is a dogged competitor and PSU is his #1 competition and generally the target of some of his "barbs." I've got no problem with people busting on him in return - tOSU IS our #1 competition now and for the foreseeable future, if you don't believe that, check out their incoming class - and no problem with people expressing a competitive dislike for him, as long as it is not over the top.

I hope this battle goes on for a long while. I'd even concede a few more B1Gs to them, as long as we keep coming out on top when it counts.;)

I recall that video clip of the Buckeyes coming into Rec Hall last year for the big match. The pre match run up. After the Anthem, as Ryan and the team came out for the meet, he kept repeating "This is what you wanted!, This is what you wanted!, You wanted THIS". It didn't strike me until later what a compliment that was to Penn State Wrestling. The coming into Rec Hall, the face off with what is the dominant dynastic program in the sport, the hardest place in the nation to win at, the aura, the mystique, etc...He was both firing up his own team, and giving PSU the ultimate compliment at the same time.

Is that you, Kanye?

ADVERTISEMENT