ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

There is little doubt in my mind that many fully intended and probably wanted to give him the Hodge this season. (Pure speculation on my part but I do believe that 100%) Fact is He lost, no one saw that coming. It is ashame because he is awesome and I love watching him wrestle and he is the best in the world!!!But he still LOST...Giving to him instead of Zain at that point makes the award a popularity contest and nothing else. He Lost and was not ahead of Zain in any metric, end of story in my opinion ....Shame on Ryan.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
There is little doubt in my mind that they fully intended and probably wanted to give him the Hodge this season. (Pure speculation on my part but I do believe that 100%) Fact is He lost, no one saw that coming. It is ashame because he is awesome and I love watching him wrestle and he is the best in the world!!!But he still LOST...Giving to him instead of Zain at that point makes the award a popularity contest and nothing else. He Lost and was not ahead of Zain in any metric, end of story in my opinion ....Shame on Ryan.
You may be right, but I thought it woryh pointing out, there's not really a "they" here. Voters include Cael, DT, & Zain, but also Pyles & Willie. I doubt there was a conspiracy.

All that said, I was surprised to see a 1 loss Gross on the ballot, and not a 1 loss Snyder. If you're going to buck convention, it would seem Captain America is a good place to start.

Some things never change

Check out @Buckeye158’s Tweet:
The only relevant part of the tweet is in bold below. Everything else he stated is irrelevant and stinks of sour grapes. He could learn a thing or two from Kyle Snyder with regard to grace and sportsmanship. And some wonder why people rag on Ryan.

P.S. Tom: Zain won 3 titles too and in more dominating fashion. Kyle is truly great, but so is Zain.

No disrespect, but the @WINWrestlingMag Hodge Trophy
1f3c6.png
not having @Snyder_man45 name on it is bad for its value. Won 3 NCAA titles weighing 225 pounds. Was outweighed in the 3 finals a combined 150 pounds. Olympic Gold, 2x World Gold. No college wrestler won a match at Worlds.

You may be right, but I thought it woryh pointing out, there's not really a "they" here. Voters include Cael, DT, & Zain, but also Pyles & Willie. I doubt there was a conspiracy.

All that said, I was surprised to see a 1 loss Gross on the ballot, and not a 1 loss Snyder. If you're going to buck convention, it would seem Captain America is a good place to start.
Good point, I am using "they" in what sounds conspiratorial way...not my intention, just that many I am sure wanted to vote for him and just could not justify it after the loss.

I would expect no less from Snyder. That was cool. I don't think that Ryan is saying that Snyder should have won, but just should have been on the ballot. Even if he was, best he would have done would be winning the fan vote. I have my doubts that would have happened anyway. Too many people know the criteria, unlike the Aruban Twitter king.

The problem with this is that Snyder (18 matches) didn't belong on a 4-man ballot ahead of Gross (30), Jason (27), or Yianni (35).

Pretty obvious that Snyder's schedule was the right decision. There's really only 1 consequence to that decision, and Ryan doesn't want to live with that 1 consequence.

Also tired of hearing about the weight difference. It really was impressive that Snyder was able to beat guys giving 50 lbs but he's not the only light heavyweight and the lighter heavyweights have a quickness advantage. Snyder could've gone 197 and dominated there in all likelihood and if there was no such thing as freestyle wrestling, he probably would've. But Snyder chose gold freestyle medals over Hodge trophies and I'm pretty sure he's fine with that trade off. Ryan should be as well.

Tan Tom using the Michael Jordan college basketball argument. Trying to elevate someone to have a greater college career based on events outside of the college world.

Reactions: Creek Side
Also tired of hearing about the weight difference. It really was impressive that Snyder was able to beat guys giving 50 lbs but he's not the only light heavyweight and the lighter heavyweights have a quickness advantage. Snyder could've gone 197 and dominated there in all likelihood and if there was no such thing as freestyle wrestling, he probably would've. But Snyder chose gold freestyle medals over Hodge trophies and I'm pretty sure he's fine with that trade off. Ryan should be as well.

Yes! It’s incredibly impressive that Snyder has been able to succeed against bigger guys, but TaTo’s nonstop references to Snyder’s weight differential is now beyond obnoxious. You don’t get bonus Hodge points (or any other award) for choosing to voluntarily compete at a certain weight against the, um, competitors in that weight group. It would make as much (non)sense to say that NaTo, BoJo, etc deserve special consideration for cuttting down mutiple weight classes and enduring the difficulties of facing wrestlers who aren’t cutting as much weight.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yes! It’s incredibly impressive that Snyder has been able to succeed against bigger guys, but TaTo’s nonstop references to Snyder’s weight differential is now beyond obnoxious. You don’t get bonus Hodge points (or any other award) for choosing to voluntarily compete at a certain weight against the, um, competitors in that weight group. It would make as much (non)sense to say that NaTo, BoJo, etc deserve special consideration for cuttting down mutiple weight classes and enduring the difficulties of facing wrestlers who aren’t cutting as much weight.
Bo Jordan for the Hodge.

He did well with the hand he was dealt.

Agreed. Imo It’s sort of like the Anthony Robles situation. Some aspects are a disadvantage .... and some most certainly are an advantage

Reactions: liex26
New award proposal:

The Hodge Podge. Goes to the wrestler that excels in multiple disciplines, venues, continents, weight classes, etc. OR you could call it the Sanderson and really piss off TaTo. :D

Last edited:
Well .. at least he said something nice about DT tonight.

And you know the only true fact about that positive comment was to draw attention to the fact DT is from Ohio. Oh... and international wrestling matters or Kyle Sndyer's International career matters when it comes to winning the Hodge Trophy. You can see the circular logic at play in Tom's head. o_O

And you wonder why the NWCA having any say in a National Championship in NCAA Wrestling has faulty and unsound reasoning? We want... what we want. No LOGIC needed.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, we know it all comes down to who has the longer, or shorter bus ride. Who is over or under the weather. An above or below average official or voter, and who handles it the right way.

Put it all together in the proper mixture and as the leader of your elite "Program" you can not only disrespect a highly respected 3 time champion, but also disrespect and highly embarrass your 4 time champion as well as your Captain America Olympic champion.

Well done Tom. Well done.

Probably not the way anybody else would have handled it, but if you are going for jackass. Never hold back, go all in.

Agreed. Imo It’s sort of like the Anthony Robles situation. Some aspects are a disadvantage .... and some most certainly are an advantage
Well, kinda, and I know what you're saying ...

But I'd bet exactly zero people would choose to lose a leg in order to gaiin Robles' advantage.

Snyder's "hardship" of facing bigger and slower guys seems like a more likely choice.

Don't worry fellas I threw in my 2cents and tweeted ...that's not how Penn state would have handled this

Do you realize that by doing that you(and these replies) are handling it like that? What was Cael's response when Zain got jobbed? Nothing, but here you are going Tom Ryan on Tom Ryan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT