ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Great interview with Beau Bartlett on Flo. Very likeable kid. Made me chuckle when he said his HS career ended like a "Disney movie." :) And great comment: "Pressure makes diamonds." "Can't wait to wear a PSU singlet" (or something like that).

And the kid has amazing ears!! No semblance of cauliflower ear at all. How many studs make it through HS and/or college without mangled ears?

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...h-school-career-and-four-national-prep-titles

No idea if Connors Dad is reliable or not, but this was a post he made...

This was mentioned in the Iowa State open thread but I decided to make a new topic because I thought it needed one.
Iowa St. had a dual today with Missouri. The following occurred:
1. Five of the starters against Northern Iowa 6 days ago did not travel the four and a half hours to Columbia to compete against #24 Missouri.
2. Four of them did compete however in the Iowa St. Last Chance. One wrestler wrestled the entire tournament, two wrestled 2 matches then forfeited the rest. And Coleman won 4 matches at 184 won the title with 4 victories by inj. def. in all 4 in the first few seconds. Three were against ISU guys and the other was Johnny Sebastian.
3. Dresser and another assistant were not there at the dual.
WTF? Instead of going and competing at a dual that was on your schedule, you take half of a team and wrestle 4 starters from the previous dual + David Carr a tournament not on your schedule so it must have been added after the season started.
There are dozens of questions that can be asked. The main one is why 4 injury defaults in a couple of seconds? Do we really think they all got out on the mat and got hurt? Why not 4 medical forfeits? Or does an injury default give you credit for a win? Coleman's record was only 5-5 before today at 184. Pretty ****ty!
I’m curious on your opinion on all this, @James P. Whitters III It’s almost like Dresser is trying to force the NCAA to do something. He doesn’t strike me as such a game player.

No idea if Connors Dad is reliable or not, but this was a post he made...

This was mentioned in the Iowa State open thread but I decided to make a new topic because I thought it needed one.
Iowa St. had a dual today with Missouri. The following occurred:
1. Five of the starters against Northern Iowa 6 days ago did not travel the four and a half hours to Columbia to compete against #24 Missouri.
2. Four of them did compete however in the Iowa St. Last Chance. One wrestler wrestled the entire tournament, two wrestled 2 matches then forfeited the rest. And Coleman won 4 matches at 184 won the title with 4 victories by inj. def. in all 4 in the first few seconds. Three were against ISU guys and the other was Johnny Sebastian.
3. Dresser and another assistant were not there at the dual.
WTF? Instead of going and competing at a dual that was on your schedule, you take half of a team and wrestle 4 starters from the previous dual + David Carr a tournament not on your schedule so it must have been added after the season started.
There are dozens of questions that can be asked. The main one is why 4 injury defaults in a couple of seconds? Do we really think they all got out on the mat and got hurt? Why not 4 medical forfeits? Or does an injury default give you credit for a win? Coleman's record was only 5-5 before today at 184. Pretty ****ty!

Answer coming, straight from Dresser. No idea what he'll say, but first impression is respect for going live to answer. Deferring judgment till we hear what he says.

Answer coming, straight from Dresser. No idea what he'll say, but first impression is respect for going live to answer. Deferring judgment till we hear what he says.

No judgement needs to be deferred. It's a loophole, he exploited it. Dresser is also the guy who wants to shut down the RTCs... yet pushes the limits like no one else. He's got this weird, let me show you how bad this rule is by taking it to its worst conclusion, thing going on.

No judgement needs to be deferred. It's a loophole, he exploited it. Dresser is also the guy who wants to shut down the RTCs... yet pushes the limits like no one else. He's got this weird, let me show you how bad this rule is by taking it to its worst conclusion, thing going on.
Sometimes that's what it takes to attempt to make change. Truth me known, every coach has an "agenda" - basically their thoughts on how things should be. It's how the sport evolves. Referees, fans, wrestlers, even administrators should have a say too. And as far as RTC's, that is an interesting one to me ... will the NCAA leave the relationship between college wrestling programs and the Regional Training Centers alone, or will there be enough "unfair advantage" called out to force a change. As said, I find it interesting.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I didn't remember Dresser being anti RTC, though I guess it makes sense. I only remembered being surprised that Smith was against them, considering he has one....

Reactions: vhsalum
Sometimes that's what it takes to attempt to make change. Truth me known, every coach has an "agenda" - basically their thoughts on how things should be. It's how the sport evolves. Referees, fans, wrestlers, even administrators should have a say too. And as far as RTC's, that is an interesting one to me ... will the NCAA leave the relationship between college wrestling programs and the Regional Training Centers alone, or will there be enough "unfair advantage" called out to force a change. As said, I find it interesting.
Aren't there already rules regarding the relationship between college practice and the RTCs? I can't imagine the NCAA being able to force universities to get rid of something they don't govern over directly. Also, I would have to think any drastic changes with the RTCs would hurt the USA program, not that the NCAA gives a rats butt about USA wrestling.

Aren't there already rules regarding the relationship between college practice and the RTCs? I can't imagine the NCAA being able to force universities to get rid of something they don't govern over directly. Also, I would have to think any drastic changes with the RTCs would hurt the USA program, not that the NCAA gives a rats butt about USA wrestling.
They (the NCAA) do have governance over college sports, and the part that some want changed is the amount of time a college wrestler gets to roll around with world-class freestylers. Think Penn State, and the advantage we have over all but a few programs, and for those few, we're on equal footing.

It's not the RTC side of the equation, as you are right, the NCAA has no say. But when they (the college wrestlers) step on the mat with non-college wrestlers, they do have a say.

Still, it's a slippery slope, and no change, if there is any, will happen quickly. Leaving it as is would be my hope.

Matt Dernlan and Jason Bryant addressed the controversy on today's Rudis podcast. Bryant mentioned having spoken to Dresser who admitted to gaming the system. Matt poses the question about athletes violating their personal integrity and ISU violating the integrity of the sport. Fast forward to the 49 minute mark to listen to the segment....

This guy really knows how to make a guy grin. :D

There’s another one with some language that I’ll leave for those interested to discover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psu9012
wonder how hard the hit-back from Montini Catholic will be over this whole Izzy Martinez deal. Could impact illinois wrestling as well seeing how alot of hammers have come from Montini.

wonder how hard the hit-back from Montini Catholic will be over this whole Izzy Martinez deal. Could impact illinois wrestling as well seeing how alot of hammers have come from Montini.

Certainly would have a huge impact here if it is all true. Montini is dominant (read: able to recruit far and wide) and a lot of successful wrestlers in the surrounding areas train with Izzy even if they don't go to Monitni (Assad & Jessen) or grew up training with him.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT