ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

I can think of a lot of other exceptions. Top man pushes forward to eventually move the action out of bounds. Top man breaks him down and basically does nothing so eventually a stallmate, etc. The idea sounds good but lots of ways the top man can get away with not giving up a point.
I have no problem with the top guy doing either of those things. Pushing to go out of bounds is an approximation of the push out rule, which I like anyway. And it’s incumbent upon the bottom guy to get out anyway so if the top is breaking him down, who cares?

Another issue with this: would need to eliminate the 30-sec stallout periods. Match decided by who crawls out of bounds faster? Ugh.

What about the guy on bottom gets one full minute to get out but if he’s unable to in that time, the top guy can release without penalty?

A guy actively trying to escape but needing to do it in a direction that keeps him from going OOB, when the top guy has a say in it, is an issue.

I do like the thought. You can’t give the top guy the only say in whether an escape can happen and a point awarded.

I can think of a lot of other exceptions. Top man pushes forward to eventually move the action out of bounds. Top man breaks him down and basically does nothing so eventually a stallmate, etc. The idea sounds good but lots of ways the top man can get away with not giving up a point.
Agree here — when bottom guy gets to his feet and is ripping at hands, genuinely trying to create separation and break free, how often do we see the top guy, in desperation to preserve “control”, run/drive the would-be escapee out of bounds to get a restart? Often enough that the tactic should be ruled an exception to the JB idea.

Plus, we know wrestlers will adapt and take every possible advantage of new rules or interpretations. Iowa got rewarded big-time by the recent “backing out” stall rule, which only further encouraged the push-push-push-shove style.

Imagine the tactics adopted by top guy if bottom guy was disallowed an escape point opportunity if he were simplyridden out of bounds. The Mike Evans tight-waist-ankle-grab ride would be reincarnated as a tight-waist-ankle-grab drive OOB. Mat returns would aim for big lifts with running drives toward the outer circle. Getting bottom guy OOB would become the first objective of top guy after a TD.

For at least the first sequence(s) after a TD, what we have gained in legit turn attempts the past few years from the 4-pt-nearfall rule would be negated by a new reward for top stalling. No thanks.

And none of that even addresses what would become a parabolic spike in stoppages from the good ol’ finger-to-nostril-hey-ref-look-i’m-bleeding move.

Great idea in theory, but the last thing refs need is a new set of highly subjective contingencies intended to prevent gaming (but which will otherwise be gamed). Even a bright-line standard like, say, 30 seconds to get an escape point then back on your feet, would overcomplicate things. Refs have a tough enough time with the danger rule, or counting off when a top guy drops to legs, both relatively recent rule additions that are wildly inconsistently enforced.

How about this rule? Ride the guy. If you can’t ride them it’s a point for the other guy.

If you need to score more points turn the guy. If the only way you can score more is TDS, that’s a point for the other guy.

Any free escape is just a half-way step to freestyle.

Reactions: hlstone
Even more simple… make a TD worth 3.

no way should a man escape be worth 50% of a takedown.
Completely agree. Pretty sure Cael is on record for being for a 3 point TD. It’s that simple, an escape is not worth 50% of a TD.

From a pure point-scoring perspective, I agree with 3 for a TD. However, as a fan, it is so much more fun to yell “Twoooooo!!!” in unison (and here it around the arena, even while you’re using the facilities). I’m just not feeling “Threeee!!!!” will have the same familiar vibe. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: tikk10 and Ja1339
165084d2-93d1-436e-b51a-985db436b953_text.gif

Weird undercard, they've been pairing guys up from set positions like with a leg or from bodylock. Running that position a few times, then bringing on another pair.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT