ADVERTISEMENT

Why is it easier for PSU to get 7 yards than it is for them to get 2 yards?

bdgan

May 29, 2008
  • No fullback?
  • Poor OL/TE blocking?
  • Everything from the shotgun (even the victory formation)?
  • Read option isn't optimal in that situation.

Reactions: FJ47
I think our OL personnel are adequate to solve this issue. We certainly have adequate people playing RB. For distances of less than a yard, not being able to use a QB sneak is a big problem in my mind, especially if we end up playing games in bad weather.

Simple........Moorhead's offense does not have a 2 yd play......no QB sneak.....no I formation plays. I've always contended that the R/O formation puts the RB at a disadvantage by always having to start from a standing still position as opposed to running from the I and getting up a head of steam when he takes the handoff. Barkley is just so good....he could start from his back and gain 20 yards.

• No fullback?
  • Poor OL/TE blocking?
  • Everything from the shotgun (even the victory formation)?
  • Read option isn't optimal in that situation.

Everything from the shotgun is the answer. The DL are coming upfield at that point so if they whiff you have 7-10 yards on a normal play.

However, on short yardage the DL are staying home and the LBs are right there for the handoff. To get short yardage you need quick blocks by the OL and the RB in the hole almost immediately after the snap.

LdN

It's scary to think what Saquon would do if we had an offense where the QB was under center. Like in the NFL. I hate the RPO, but that's what we run now.

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT