ADVERTISEMENT

Why is EZ-Pass not EZ?

AvgUser

Jul 12, 2016
I have a three cars and one EZ-Pass. I can travel anywhere in Northeast US states and use the single EZ pass in any of the three cars no problem. On the NJ AC Expressway, at the Egg Harbor toll, it never reads the EZ Pass transponder. So I get a bill for $106 for supposedly using the EZ lane without a transponder. That is for two $3 tolls (to/from) and two $50 charges for the collection for or whatever they refer to it (for each time I used the toll).

The $50 assessment is absolutely ridiculous. I sent a check to NJ Toll authority for $6 only to cover my tolls. I wrote that I had the transponder in the car. Their sensor must not have read it. The Ben Franklin Bridge read it fine on one of those days.

NJ sends this to collection agency. I tell them the same as when I sent the $6 to NJ Toll folks.

Collection Agency tells me that EZ pass needs to be registered to the specific vehicle.

WTF? Why? I understand that if the EZ pass people sell more transponders that they make more money. But, most of us can only drive one car at a time. Thus there is only need for one EZ pass transponder.

Every other time I've driven and used my single EZ pass in any of my cars, no problemlo. PA, NY, MD, DE, VA, NC all work well.

Besides it being NJ, why is EZ pass such a hassle?

A few things:

In General:
- it's true that you are supposed to register a car to a transponder
- I'm not sure which organization you get your transponders through, but many of them will give you additional transponders for free, or for a nominal charge
- while transponders are supposed to be registered to a car, a lot of people use them if they rent a car, or as you do (switching between cars), so it usually works

Specifically:
- your response to this was probably wrong
- most of the time, if you have an EZ-Pass not being read issue, you should call the roadway/bridge authority/etc. that billed you, explain the situation, and they resolve it
- the above has worked for me 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the time, I contacted the organization that I got my transponder from, and got it resolved through them
- by sending money to whomever billed you (I guess it was the AC Expressway), but not for the full amount, you're almost inviting them to expedite it to a collection agency. They don't have a means to resolve these things in billings -- you have to call them and not pay them anything

Sorry that you've had to go through this. Call the number that was on your initial bill, and try to resolve this through them.

I have a three cars and one EZ-Pass. I can travel anywhere in Northeast US states and use the single EZ pass in any of the three cars no problem. On the NJ AC Expressway, at the Egg Harbor toll, it never reads the EZ Pass transponder. So I get a bill for $106 for supposedly using the EZ lane without a transponder. That is for two $3 tolls (to/from) and two $50 charges for the collection for or whatever they refer to it (for each time I used the toll).

The $50 assessment is absolutely ridiculous. I sent a check to NJ Toll authority for $6 only to cover my tolls. I wrote that I had the transponder in the car. Their sensor must not have read it. The Ben Franklin Bridge read it fine on one of those days.

NJ sends this to collection agency. I tell them the same as when I sent the $6 to NJ Toll folks.

Collection Agency tells me that EZ pass needs to be registered to the specific vehicle.

WTF? Why? I understand that if the EZ pass people sell more transponders that they make more money. But, most of us can only drive one car at a time. Thus there is only need for one EZ pass transponder.

Every other time I've driven and used my single EZ pass in any of my cars, no problemlo. PA, NY, MD, DE, VA, NC all work well.

I have two cars and one EZ Pass for them and never have issues. The only time it is an issue is if I don’t hold the EZ Pass against the windshield correctly.

In NJ each car has it's own transponder! Fee is $1 per month per responder/car!

It's NJ for Christ's sakes! Drive here, pay and pay!

I had both a PA EZ Pass and a Delaware River Authority EZ Pass that is now a NJ EZ Pass. The PA EZ Pass can be registered to more than one car. I had 2 cars registered to it and I use to switch between the cars. I do not remember if the NJ EZ pass could be registered to more than one vehicle. If you could, their policy might have changed. I than got a Delaware River Authority because I got tired of switching EZ pass and Delaware made more sense. It does not have the fix $35 replenish amount. It is only $25 and the amount would be based on how much you used it. I dropped the PA EZ Pass a couple of years ago and got a 2nd NJ Pass since it was a better deal.

If you call NJ and tell them you had a transponder they will typically drop the 50 dollar per missed toll fee.

It happens and they know it isn't you.

LdN

I had both a PA EZ Pass and a Delaware River Authority EZ Pass that is now a NJ EZ Pass. The PA EZ Pass can be registered to more than one car. I had 2 cars registered to it and I use to switch between the cars. I do not remember if the NJ EZ pass could be registered to more than one vehicle. If you could, their policy might have changed. I than got a Delaware River Authority because I got tired of switching EZ pass and Delaware made more sense. It does not have the fix $35 replenish amount. It is only $25 and the amount would be based on how much you used it. I dropped the PA EZ Pass a couple of years ago and got a 2nd NJ Pass since it was a better deal.
Now they are raising tolls for the first time in 10 years to pay for non-tolled bridges, just like the Tunpike now funds PENNDOT and the PSP. Isn't this fun?

Last edited:
I live in MD with 5 cars (kids have 2) and 4 transponders. All cars are registered for all transponders and I've never had a problem driving up and down the east coast and as far west as MI, IN, TN, and KY.

I have two EZ passes to cover three cars and one motorcycle. The only problem I've had was when we changed the registration for one of the cars from MA to NY and I forgot to register the new plate. That and the EZ pass has to be upside down on the bike for it to read- don't ask me why.

I have two EZ passes to cover three cars and one motorcycle. The only problem I've had was when we changed the registration for one of the cars from MA to NY and I forgot to register the new plate. That and the EZ pass has to be upside down on the bike for it to read- don't ask me why.

The one in my bike is not and it works fine.

The one in my bike is not and it works fine.
where do you have it mounted? mine is inside the windscreen, and never works if I mount it rightside up

iu
iu

Last edited:

You are the one who messed yup. You can register multiple vehicles to your ez pass account. If you read the terms and conditions it says all vehicles using the pass must be registered. They do this because sometimes the passes don't scan. If it was registered to you account they would have just deducted the toll. Then instead of calling them and asking them to wave the additional fee you waved it yourself because apparently you felt entitled. So I don't understand why are complaining because you are 100% in the wrong

Reactions: gogolion
It pays to check threads - I checked my EZ Pass account and I left off one car that I bought for my Daughter and both of our cars listed were ones we no longer have so updated them all - the EZ Pass has worked for them all - we have 2 for 3 cars but I did get hit for a charge over the Berry Bridge last year when my Daughter was using one of my passes, I just assumed she forget to use it but maybe it didn't read it and connect it to an authorized vehicle.

Same- I have a pouch that fits inside the my clear windscreen. Perhaps it is the angle of your windscreen? I have a 2009 Ultra with a straight up windscreen, similar to a car.
that could be- the angle is nowhere near that of a car, and there isn't a ton of space from the bottom of the EZPass to the top of the instrument cluster- it works fine upside down though

ADVERTISEMENT