ADVERTISEMENT

Why is 6-2 Michigan ranked 16th?

phillybillyreprise

May 5, 2014
Besides the obvious that they are receiving votes. They have 2 losses and at least one close win. I am not advocating PSU be ranked. My question is why is Michigan ranked and why so high?

They've beaten/dominated a ranked team (NW), and were a miracle away from beating another. Both losses were to high-quality opponents, similar to PSU. They also had a strong run of top-notch football between the loss to Utah and Sparty. PSU, I think, gained some respect from the polls this week when it was realized that Temple is a damn good team.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Besides the obvious that they are receiving votes. They have 2 losses and at least one close win. I am not advocating PSU be ranked. My question is why is Michigan ranked and why so high?
I think that the hype of Harbaugh and being a "name brand" program are big factors. To be fair I think that their loss to Sparty with such unusual circumstances is being taken into consideration. Since day 1 of the season they have been overhyped due to Harbaugh. I acknowledge that he has a proven track record as a good coach but they way some in the media carried on he was the second coming.

Their narrow escape last week shows how beatable they are. We will have our shot in a few weeks. I think we match up well with them.

Really comes down to 30+ pt wins over BYU (ranked 22nd at time) and Northwestern (ranked 13th at the time). Looking at their losses though, not much to ding them on and say they're "unworthy" of a top 20 ranking.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think that the hype of Harbaugh and being a "name brand" program are big factors. To be fair I think that their loss to Sparty with such unusual circumstances is being taken into consideration. Since day 1 of the season they have been overhyped due to Harbaugh. I acknowledge that he has a proven track record as a good coach but they way some in the media carried on he was the second coming.

Their narrow escape last week shows how beatable they are. We will have our shot in a few weeks. I think we match up well with them.
Harbaugh is also playing with some very highly rated recruiting classes that Hoke brought in. So, you have a combo of good players and a good coach. I think it's reasonable to rank Michigan pretty high even with two losses. PSU, meanwhile, had limited scholarships for its current juniors and seniors.

Over hyped? Did you see them last year compared to this year.

They've been overhyped most years, because of their name brand. By the end of the season the truth settles in, though, when they regularly get thumped by OSU. The unfortunate thing for Michigan is that they actually end up having to play the teams on their schedule.

That said, they are a talented team with a good coach. I'm not sure they are #16, but they are good.

I honestly think they are higher then 16 to be honest. I think they would handle most PAC 12 and BIG 12 teams right now.

I don't care why. I just want them to be as highly ranked as possible when we beat them.:)

Hey ya gotta play 'em anyway, right? Why not have them in the top ten?

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
ADVERTISEMENT