ADVERTISEMENT

Why in the f*ck would you go into the ocean, on a surfboard, & look like a floating seal to a shark

below?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/californ...-state-beach-surfer-killed-state-beach-closed

https://people.com/human-interest/surfer-killed-shark-attack-california-beach/

How F*cking stupid can you be??

Truely, the possibility of this happening was very real and the guy brought it upon himself.

Stupidity folks!
I personally would not surf like that either...but everyone has to do in life what they are comfortable doing. I also would never ride a motorcycle as I have seen too many people killed on them. One of my buds who did live after a wreck has had over 50 surgeries. Life is all about making decisions every day that could impact your life. I don't do certain things that I don't feel are worth the risk and motorcycles and surfing are two of those things. I also get while others do.
I do other things that other people think are crazy but I enjoy them.

A 60 Minutes feature about great whites talked about black scuba and surfing body suits confuse sharks into thinking you might be a seal. I would definitely suggest using surfboards and body suits that are white or bright colors.

Reactions: TheGLOV
No way all are reported

Ah no.

So with all the coast line around India, ALL shark attacks that are fatal are reported?

And around Madagascar as well?

No way.
Really? Given what’s “newsworthy” in the social media era, just imagine if a corpse were to drag itself out of the deep and declare a shark done it.

It’d be reported. I guaranty it. Even in India.

Ah no.

So with all the coast line around India, ALL shark attacks that are fatal are reported?

And around Madagascar as well?

No way.
There have been people who have disappeared after going
Swimming or snorkeling all over the world that more than likely have been shark attacks.well said that entering the ocean other then two feet or so at the beach you become part of the food chain.Its also true that if sharks wanted to have us on the menu it would be pretty easy for them to do.
Surfing,diving etc are a lifestyle where there are certain risks involved and sharks are part of that but lower on the list then just plain accidents .Heck just watched a kid take a header off his skateboard and the land sharks feasted on him rip

Last edited:
You have the same odds of being bitten in the ocean swimming as surfing. The first thing that attracks sharks is noise and splashing something different that the normal so they go and seek out what the source of that noise is... Doesn't matter if you are swimming or surfing they will investigate.

Reactions: TheGLOV and brupsu
You have the same odds of being bitten in the ocean swimming as surfing. The first thing that attracks sharks is noise and splashing something different that the normal so they go and seek out what the source of that noise is... Doesn't matter if you are swimming or surfing they will investigate.

Who set the odds? Vegas or the sharks??

I am a scuba diver and have been on several dives with sharks. I have been on two shark feeding dives- one in the Caribbean and one in the Gulf of Mexico. Had an 8 foot bull shark about 12 feet below me on the way up. No problems. Loved it!

There is research that contradicts the earlier premise that sharks hone in on surfboards because they resemble a seal or other creature. As someone replied, sharks are attracted to noise and vibrations and do not rely on their eyesight. That is the reason that new research questions that old theory that surfers sitting or laying on their board look like seals to sharks. Nothing is conclusive- surfers laying on their boards may indeed look like a seal to sharks, but we do know that sharks rely on their senses of smell and sound (vibration). Someone mentioned wet suit color as well and there is skepticism about whether black wet suits are more attractive to sharks.Once again- goes back to their reliance on sound and smell rather than eyesight.

I know this much- I feel much safer under the water than I do splashing around on the surface. I have been face to face with sharks and they could care less about me.

Reactions: psu7113 and TheGLOV
I am a scuba diver and have been on several dives with sharks. I have been on two shark feeding dives- one in the Caribbean and one in the Gulf of Mexico. Had an 8 foot bull shark about 12 feet below me on the way up. No problems. Loved it!

There is research that contradicts the earlier premise that sharks hone in on surfboards because they resemble a seal or other creature. As someone replied, sharks are attracted to noise and vibrations and do not rely on their eyesight. That is the reason that new research questions that old theory that surfers sitting or laying on their board look like seals to sharks. Nothing is conclusive- surfers laying on their boards may indeed look like a seal to sharks, but we do know that sharks rely on their senses of smell and sound (vibration). Someone mentioned wet suit color as well and there is skepticism about whether black wet suits are more attractive to sharks.Once again- goes back to their reliance on sound and smell rather than eyesight.

I know this much- I feel much safer under the water than I do splashing around on the surface. I have been face to face with sharks and they could care less about me.

There was also research that Dewey defeated Truman!

No thank you

I don’t believe a damn word of that contradictory evidence.

Did they even interview a shark?

Not buying it at all.

4FCCCD6F-FFD5-4464-A477-FA37AD4C6A1F_zpsaltj25up.jpg

Mrs Sluggo petting the shark

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
A 60 Minutes feature about great whites talked about black scuba and surfing body suits confuse sharks into thinking you might be a seal. I would definitely suggest using surfboards and body suits that are white or bright colors.

Maybe that why those ugly beach jam shorts were invented.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT