ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

I didn't want to nit pick but... since you opened it up, I will partake. You are correct, open your hand young man. Also, he is holding too long.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Anybody here ever try closing their eyes when a deer has made them in a tree? Doesn't work every time, but works often enough to keep it in your bag of tricks.
Yes, have done that. Also closed my eyes sitting against a tree while turkey hunting and took a short nap. When I opened my eyes a bobcat was staring at me from about 25 feet. Glad I had sunglasses on. One of my best days in the woods ever.

I think today, in this thread, may have been my most rewarding day of viewing this mess board!

I haven't done any archery since Boy Scouts as a teen, and I'm a hunting virgin, so always dig the Tales from the Woods on here, regardless of weapon. But take an accomplished PSU Wrestler trying out a bow & arrow, and add in bwi Woodsmen expertise and commentary? Throw in the double entendre Pun Potential of the woods and the mat? Man, I am HERE for Wrestling Archery Internet!

Additionally, I can't exclaim loudly enough the value of those new UWW Bio pages. Historically, College & HS results and footage have been 10x more easily accessible to fans than International. But with UWW leaning into the Internet Age, we fans are getting excellent coverage competition for the traditionally U.S.-centric outlets. Super, super helpful for fans wishing to follow wrestlers we're familiar with from the most Americian popular version of our great sport, but who now wrestle for other countries!

Here's Micic's bio page: https://uww.org/athletes/micic-stevan-andria
Here's Myles Amine's: https://uww.org/athletes/amine-myles-nazem

Not sure where he is hunting his virgins, but I haven't seen one around here in a long time. What is the limit on virgins? :p
L to the OL! Back when that sort of hunting was something I engaged in, I usually preferred more experienced ... gonna cut that one short to avoid Behaving Badly on the Internet lol.

But back to actual hunting, in the more traditional sense, I've always, always pined a bit for the endeavor. My ole man left when I was 9, my mom wasn't a hunter, and I just didn't have access or exposure to it beyond feeling a bit jealous when my JR High & HS classmates would tell stories when coming back after school off days.

Writing that all out just now, and having experienced a small bit of success lately living a goal-oriented lifestyle, I think I'm going to put Hunting down as some sort of goal for my 50's. Consider that as me putting out my NIL shingle, welcoming any hunters willing to sponsor the training of a newb ;)

• Love
Reactions: Ski and tikk10
Not much meaty opinion in that baby.
Ha ha! The entire article builds up and builds up, and builds up and builds up. Finally, the big question is addressed and answered very, very quickly in the last part of the last paragraph:

“… the national dominance Sanderson has brought to Penn State is hard to beat. Koll may have been able to build a strong program at Penn State if he got the job, but Sanderson’s dynasty has trumped that of Koll’s resume thus far.”

854.gif

Last edited:
Ha ha! The entire article builds up and builds up, and builds up and builds up. Finally, the big question is addressed and answered very, very quickly in the last part of the last paragraph:

“… the national dominance Sanderson has brought to Penn State is hard to beat. Koll may have been able to build a strong program at Penn State if he got the job, but Sanderson’s dynasty has trumped that of Koll’s resume thus far.”
giphy.gif

@Tom McAndrew @lobo lion @Grove Lion @PSU4U

Not much meaty opinion in that baby.

Hey, what's up, Mike! And @diggerpup and @Petch!

I've never met the author, Zach Allen, whose bio indicates he's 'a Sophomore majoring in journalism,' but I'm wondering if any of you would be up for a thought exercise? Pretend that dude is my son and I came on here and asked you all, as a favor to me: 'could you please offer some constructive criticism on that article of his?'

What would you all share?

I've never met the author, Zach Allen, whose bio indicates he's 'a Sophomore majoring in journalism,' but I'm wondering if any of you would be up for a thought exercise? Pretend that dude is my son and I came on here and asked you all, as a favor to me: 'could you please offer some constructive criticism on that article of his?'

I'd say if you're going to write opinion, the facts should be secondary and supportive of the thesis, as opposed to here, where they constitute the bulk of the piece and don't all relate to the thesis. Not until the second to last paragraph does the author entertain the thesis hinted at in the headline, and in that paragraph he merely shrugs and declares it unanswerable. If it's "impossible to know" what a Koll-run Penn State wrestling program would look like, why have I read this far? Push yourself and tell us what you think that might have actually looked like, which would necessitate looking at the types of wrestlers each has recruited, their styles, culture, etc.

Also, perhaps it's nitpicking, but unless you're writing dense, compound sentences, every sentence doesn't need to be its own paragraph, especially if you're only conveying widely known facts.

B –

Gotcha - fair question. I think we all touched on it. A writer/editor that is trying to build credibility needs to align the expectations they set with what their piece delivers. I mention the credibility piece because there are more than enough media outlets that don’t give a hoot about credibility, and thus would simply flush this advice and collect their massive $$$. There’s a fair amount of factual content in there that’s valuable for most audiences, and if that’s the extent of what the author has then craft the titling appropriately. That gets you to a grade in the B range at that experience level. (Obviously?), the A+ work to deliver on the title would involve submission of a hypothesis (edit: thesis, deferring to tikk as he probably chose a better word) what would have been necessary for either Cael or Koll to reel off the kind of success then report whether Koll or another indeed has that trait.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT