ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Mexican food on the east coast is usually a lost cause. The first hint is a taco made with a flour tortilla. If you see that anywhere on the menu, run. Another hint: good/great tacos are usually served on TWO corn tortillas, heated on an oiled surface. Now, there are rare exceptions: the best tacos I’ve ever had were from a place near Virginia Tech, in Christiansburg, VA.

Nothing like pulling into an orchard/ag community in the western US and ordering in Spanish.

Mexican food on the east coast is usually a lost cause. The first hint is a taco made with a flour tortilla. If you see that anywhere on the menu, run. Another hint: good/great tacos are usually served on TWO corn tortillas, heated on an oiled surface. Now, there are rare exceptions: the best tacos I’ve ever had were from a place near Virginia Tech, in Christiansburg, VA.

Nothing like pulling into an orchard/ag community in the western US and ordering in Spanish.

My Bro lives in Tucson and when I visit I load up. So many neat little places where the locals go.

If you do go to El Jefe's El Jefe's, do Not Order the Midlands Special.

1) It is a rip- off!

2) the waitresses do not know how to serve it properly!

3) It was also more satisfying I heard late nights ( Friday and Saturday) than on Sunday morning after church.
Don't order the Midlands Special at Pitt either. You'll get robbed.

• Haha
Reactions: LHavenlion

So is this place ok then? I am no expert but I loved their tacos, and they seem to meet your objectives. Burrito Loco in Wilkes-Barre PA

If the Mexican climate favored wheat, they would have never wasted time with soft corn tortillas - even the best ones (yes, I’ve had ones just prepared by very short-statured Senoras) are meh.

Hard shell corn tastes far better to me than soft. Not sure why that is.

I totally expect the brickbats to come - my Guero ass weighing in here is as welcome as someone from Wisconsin going to Delassandros in Philly and critiquing their “steak and cheese”

Reactions: jtothemfp
If the Mexican climate favored wheat, they would have never wasted time with soft corn tortillas - even the best ones (yes, I’ve had ones just prepared by very short-statured Senoras) are meh.

I totally expect the brickbats to come - my Guero ass weighing in here is as welcome as someone from Wisconsin going to Delassandros in Philly and critiquing their “steak and cheese”
Just curious--how do you feel about Tamales? I love massa, but it's not for everyone, I guess. I'll give you that a flour tortilla is a much more efficient and forgiving vessel though.

Sonoran tacos are often flour tortillas for exactly that reason.

That is, the local crop availability.

Soft corn tortillas taste meh? That deserves a beating that makes Custer feel he got off easy.

Reactions: LHavenlion
Just curious--how do you feel about Tamales? I love massa, but it's not for everyone, I guess. I'll give you that a flour tortilla is a much more efficient and forgiving vessel though.
Tamales = no bueno. Lo siento El Jefe. Soy un gringo ignorante

Come on now people - there is great Mexican food in every corner of the US and just like in Mexico itself there is no one right way to do a taco, tortilla, torta, whatever. Come y disfruta toda la comida mexicana, neta wey...

Though to come full circle on my hypocrisy, I am fully on #TeamChickmanTesta in not liking tamales, just never clicked with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickenman Testa
My Bro lives in Tucson and when I visit I load up. So many neat little places where the locals go.
I work with several Hispanics from all over. Summers with these guys are great because the parties and food are fantastic.

Which place in Ft. Worth?

Back when I took a lot of business trips to DFW, ate quite a few meals at the Hurst outpost of a local chain called Abuelo's. At the time it was a decent representation of regional Mex ... though it's been a number of years so they've probably expanded beyond DFW and become more chain. But the snapper veracruzana was very good, and sadly is rarely found in PA menus.

A little OT but there was (maybe still is?) a place in the Greenville section of Dallas called -- and I am not making this up: New Big Wong Chinese Restaurant. They had handmade signs out front that said "Parking For Big Wong Customer Only." I've never eaten there, but may have posed in pictures with the signs.
Didn't eat there, because you couldn't find the other parking lot? 😏

I'm 100% with you here, CT, and I love how you brought geographic climate into your point-making.

I love tradition. I love authenticity. But they both can improved upon!

Corn is historically a more durable staple, so it makes sense that corn tortillas are more historic and/or authentic. Fry those beasts up, and I'm in. Serve em to me soft and I'm like oh no, there are much tastier options.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Assume "mole" meant mole negro. Love a good one ... that said, give me a Oaxacan place serving a half dozen different moles. If mole amarillo is on the menu, that's a good sign.
giphy.gif

Great Interview, such a likable and engaging dude.

Baschamania needs to get the true Brooks king on the pod, though. @Johnbrooks
Yeah. good interview. I was negative on Basch as an interviewer last time. I was wrong. He’s fine. (It was pretty much only in the JO interview that he was giggly and got in the way of real wrestlers (Cenzo, JO) talking.)

Basch is okay, he inserts his personal anecdotes in weird places and doesn't have a good interviewing cadence, but they get lots of good guests.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Basch is okay, he inserts his personal anecdotes in weird places and doesn't have a good interviewing cadence, but they get lots of good guests.
You guys want some entertainment on par with the old Joe Franklin Show on WOR.

Try listening to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club podcast on Rokfin. The Kaleb Young ep was a good representative sample.

It’s the aural equivalent of white bread slathered with mayonnaise and topped with a single piece of baloney.

I gotta be honest though. One benefit is that they don’t do ad spots for “manscaping” like Basch. That I could do without

Last edited:
You guys want some entertainment on par with the old Joe Franklin Show on WUSA?

Try listening to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club podcast on Rokfin. The Kaleb Young ep was a good representative sample.

It’s the aural equivalent of white bread slathered with mayonnaise and topped with a single piece of baloney.

I gotta be honest though. One benefit is that they don’t do ad spots for “manscaping” like Basch. That I could do without
Interviews with actual Hawks = single piece of baloney.

Hawkeye Report = shipload of baloney.

I think Cenzo has gotten more comfortable over time to get take more control of the interview too.
You guys want some entertainment on par with the old Joe Franklin Show on WOR.

Incredible visual analogy.

I think Cenzo has gotten more comfortable asking questions and taking over at times (and hopefully even more in the future). There is a place for Basch to be the "novice observer" and ask simpler questions (and get in his Faith questions), but when Cenzo / Guest gives inside stories, anecdotes, or breakdowns the show really thrives.

Quite a few Brands anecdotes lately which has been a treat.

I have no problem with the manscaping ads or any of the other ads because it puts money in Cenzo's pocket as he is the co-host and would share in the ad money.
This - Manscaped is paying them to advertise. You think they would pay for someone to timidly say "Btw - use this" really quickly. Not how it works.

I doubt that anyone is ignorant of advertising. The point was that some ads are more welcomed above others. 🧐
This. Now Charlize Theron discussing “woman scaping” - that’s a win.

Basch should go after “Eat Clean Bro” which was a hilarious (and totally locationally appropriate) ad running at Rutgers meets. I’m sure the company wouldn’t mind Cenzo and crew repping them

The Iowa anecdotes from CStar and Brooks are great.

Basch needs to work on improving the natural flow of the show, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT