ADVERTISEMENT

Why Do NFL Teams Need 12 GameDay Footballs?

ILLINOISLION

May 29, 2001
Seems sorta ridiculous to me.....of course, having insomnia and thinking the McAndrew Board will help put me to sleep at 3AM is sorta ridiculous, too! :rolleyes:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ these balls make their way to dopey memorabilia shmucks who are willing to part with their mom's money for that kinda stuff

Reactions: fairgambit
Seems sorta ridiculous to me.....of course, having insomnia and thinking the McAndrew Board will help put me to sleep at 3AM is sorta ridiculous, too! :rolleyes:

In the NFL fans keep balls that go into the stands.

Penn State uses 9 game balls plus 2 K balls.

I don't remember college football mandating "kicking" balls, I know the pros did because kickers were doing things to the balls like filling them with Helium to see if they would fly further stuff like that. I don't believe college has that type of rule.

Mainly it is because of they want balls on both sides of the field so when a play is over they can get a new ball spotted quickly. Say a long incomplete pass, the line judges turn to the ball boy on the side line ask for a new ball. Also each team has their own balls why? Because they could have different brands but mainly because the starting QB's like their teams balls to be "set-up" a certain way. Legal inflation psi, rubbed down, scuff a little, etc.

This is even done at Small Colleges but they may only give the officials 3-4 balls for each team.

The league should have total control of the balls. I dont think the teams should be allowed to "prep" the balls, and both teams should be using the same set of balls.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
The league should have total control of the balls. I dont think the teams should be allowed to "prep" the balls, and both teams should be using the same set of balls.

Works for me. Just like the Super Bowl. Notice that Peyton doesn't play too well in those games. Yet, TB12 does..hmmmm

ADVERTISEMENT