ADVERTISEMENT

Who's starting at 174 this season?

Who will be Penn State's starter at 174 this season?

• Mark Hall

• Vincenzo Joseph

• Aaron Brooks

• Mason Manville

• Carter Starocci

• Joe Lee

• Surprise Transfer

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Injuries stink. We've all seen cases of a student-athlete never reaching pre-injury caliber. And wrestling and football are the two highest injury rate sports, as reported by the NCAA, so we see it more in those two sports.

There are also plenty of cases where the student-athlete does recover and return to prior glory. So many factors...it's unknown exactly what the future holds after an injury.

It's always been my hope that these kids, all teams, get a chance/opportunity to go after their dreams. Unfortunately, some don't.

I have no doubt that Kemerer has finalist potential but like others have said until we see him compete at a new weight and after an injury we won't know for sure how he'll fair. The talent level is definitely there, though. I was really looking forward to seeing him at 174 last year.

With Zahid going 184lbs it's definitely Marky's title to lose this year. I'm also interested to see how Zahid does up a weight class. I know 184lbs isn't a deep weight but I'd love to see Shak go up against him.

I have no doubt that Kemerer has finalist potential but like others have said until we see him compete at a new weight and after an injury we won't know for sure how he'll fair. The talent level is definitely there, though. I was really looking forward to seeing him at 174 last year.

With Zahid going 184lbs it's definitely Marky's title to lose this year. I'm also interested to see how Zahid does up a weight class. I know 184lbs isn't a deep weight but I'd love to see Shak go up against him.
He will go undefeated. I don't see anyone beating him this year.

I do not know if this is updated or what but Iowa released their 2019-20 roster and it seems KemDawg is listed at 157 lbs. It could be updated shortly but names like Abe and Teasdale are on it which makes me wonder if it is up to date.
https://hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

They have the same weights listed from last year. Cashman was listed at 33 last year and was at 25 all year. And Brands was listed at 57 last year and wrestled 65.

Reactions: andegre
Agreed, and honestly he could probably win 197 too, but if Shak locks him up (and we know ZV can be pinned) then fagetaboutit.
Anyone can be pinned. Zahid was pinned once in 114 college bouts, including his RS season, and Zahid ended up dominating him (Daniel Lewis) at NCAA's, winning a major decision, in a rematch.

Anyone can be pinned. Zahid was pinned once in 114 college bouts, including his RS season, and Zahid ended up dominating him (Daniel Lewis) at NCAA's, winning a major decision, in a rematch.

Have we forgotten Bubba Jenkins v David Taylor? Anyone can be pinned.

I do not know if this is updated or what but Iowa released their 2019-20 roster and it seems KemDawg is listed at 157 lbs. It could be updated shortly but names like Abe and Teasdale are on it which makes me wonder if it is up to date.
https://hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

Don't place much stock in the weights listed on the roster -- they tend to have one of the more inaccurate roster listings around. I think Stoll was listed as wrestling 225 (or 215?) almost his entire career. It's not even a collegiate weight class. And Kemerer was listed at 149 for years.

Think outdated PSU profile pics, then apply that to Iowa weight listings, and you'll get the picture.

Reactions: andegre
I’m also now hearing that Hall will not take an OlyRS. This time, I trust the source. A lot more reliable than flipping a coin. :)
I’ve not heard an update on RBY.

I’m also now hearing that Hall will not take an OlyRS. This time, I trust the source. A lot more reliable than flipping a coin. :)
I’ve not heard an update on RBY.

Sorry if dumb question, but what would update on RBY be in reference to?

Mark Hall was interviewed this morning on the BTN Tailgate show. He talked about wrestling in the Olympics being a dream of his. I got the impression that a decision hasn’t yet been made.

Yeah, but I don't know why anyone would think that RBY would redshirt this season. We don;t have another option that is anywhere near as good as he is.
Nico redshirts despite being the best 125 pounder in room.
Zain redshirts despite being the best 141,149 pounder in room.
Nolf redshirts despite being the best 157 pounder in room.
On and on, there are numerous examples of a kid redshirting despite being the best kid in the room.
The only 2 top recruits that come to mind that the redshirt may not have been the best kid DT vs Cyler and Bo vs Matt Brown.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Nico redshirts despite being the best 125 pounder in room.
Zain redshirts despite being the best 141,149 pounder in room.
Nolf redshirts despite being the best 157 pounder in room.
On and on, there are numerous examples of a kid redshirting despite being the best kid in the room.
The only 2 top recruits that come to mind that the redshirt may not have been the best kid DT vs Cyler and Bo vs Matt Brown.

I'm not so sure NoVa's point was about top talent taking a shirt despite being the best option at a particular weight as much as it was about top talent taking a shirt at a time when all the best options are needed on the mat to win a team title.

The Nico, Zain, and Nolf example happened during a single year that looked out of reach. RBY (or any of our current high AA candidates), on the other hand, could be the difference between 1st and 2nd place in the 2020 team race.

I'm not so sure NoVa's point was about top talent taking a shirt despite being the best option at a particular weight as much as it was about top talent taking a shirt at a time when all the best options are needed on the mat to win a team title.

The Nico, Zain, and Nolf example happened during a single year that looked out of reach. RBY (or any of our current high AA candidates), on the other hand, could be the difference between 1st and 2nd place in the 2020 team race.
I have no idea if the kid is going to shirt or not, but at the end of nationals last year there were members of the kid's family who were darn certain the kid would redshirt this year.
So if he shirts I am not going to be shocked, nor will I be surprised if plans have changed.

With that said, I understood nova's point. My point is RBY being the best option at 133 is not going to be the determining factor in a RS decision. If during the kid's PSU competitive career he decides to take a RS it is pretty much a certainty despite taking the RS he will be the best option at that weight.

As far as the difference between 1st or second being a single redshirt or not, possibly. I doubt it, but possible.

For the next couple Septembers the plan for some will be how to overcome Iowa's 150 points, but come March it will be how to score 115 and secure the championship.

Just my opinion, but with the back end of this year's lineup combined with what 141, 157 and probably 149 will bring to the table this is a logical year for the kid to shirt if he wants one.

Last edited:
. . . With that said, I understood nova's point. My point is RBY being the best option at 133 is not going to be the determining factor in a RS decision . . .

Ok, well let's put it this way -- if RBY was not the best option at 133, no one would give a rat's behind whether he shirted or not. When the team race is expected to be tight (which is the majority opinion I've seen, based on info available to date), one is likely to be surprised if a key cog in the wheel decides to redshirt. It doesn't really matter what the determining factor was in the decision. Most fans will be surprised and/or disappointed that the guy isn't in there helping to ensure team victory.

You cited examples of "best option" guys redshirting in a year where the team was not expected to win the championship. I don't think that really
supports the point in question. But here's an example that does -- PSU was the favorite to win in 2017, with a moderate (or vocal?) number of doubters if Mark Hall was to redshirt. Mark Hall goes on record essentially saying he can't stand by and not do his part to help the team, comes out of redshirt, and helps the team squash the competition (by a mile, as it turned out).

Some folks will be surprised if RBY doesn't take the same approach, and I'm ok with that. He's the best option, and it makes little sense from a team perspective to hold cards in 2020.

Reactions: tikk10
Ok, well let's put it this way -- if RBY was not the best option at 133, no one would give a rat's behind whether he shirted or not. When the team race is expected to be tight (which is the majority opinion I've seen, based on info available to date), one is likely to be surprised if a key cog in the wheel decides to redshirt. It doesn't really matter what the determining factor was in the decision. Most fans will be surprised and/or disappointed that the guy isn't in there helping to ensure team victory.

You cited examples of "best option" guys redshirting in a year where the team was not expected to win the championship. I don't think that really
supports the point in question. But here's an example that does -- PSU was the favorite to win in 2017, with a moderate (or vocal?) number of doubters if Mark Hall was to redshirt. Mark Hall goes on record essentially saying he can't stand by and not do his part to help the team, comes out of redshirt, and helps the team squash the competition (by a mile, as it turned out).

Some folks will be surprised if RBY doesn't take the same approach, and I'm ok with that. He's the best option, and it makes little sense from a team perspective to hold cards in 2020.
Nova made a comment that RBY can't redshirt because he is the best 133 option. I simply pointed out with the possible exception of 2 examples that anytime a PSU stud has redshirted he was the best option, so "the best option" rule can't be all that weighted in a multi exponent equation.

As far as Hall goes, the coaches' plan was redshirt. It was Hall who wanted to wrestle and Cael had promised Hall and his dad that if Mark wanted to wrestle Cael would let him eliminate for the position. So Mark wrestling was not because Mark was the best option, it was a coach keeping his word even if it meant changing the plan.

I will still not be surprised if he shirts, however as the Hall example shows plans change.

Assuming good team health and RBY wrestles this season, what will shock me is if RBY's points are the championship difference.

Assuming good team health and RBY wrestles this season, what will shock me is if RBY's points are the championship difference.
Whether that's ultimately true, at present it's well within the array of possible scenarios that RBY's points provide the difference. which is probably how the staff views it.

Whether that's ultimately true, at present it's well within the array of possible scenarios that RBY's points provide the difference. which is probably how the staff views it.
Yep. Needing RBY's points to win the title this year is certainly within the realm of all that is possible and I am certain the staff is aware of the possibility.

In 2021-22 it is also possible Brands knowing his team is probably going to be roughed up will agree to bring the Hawks to State College for a non-conference dual meet.

Reactions: jtothemfp
The RBY redshirt situation probably isn't officially decided one way or another at this point, and really doesn't need to be decided until later. I'm sure he and the coaches will answer the questions internally about his development progression with or without a redshirt. There are many things to consider.
1. What is best for RBY?
2. What is best for this year's team title chances?
3. What is best for future lineups?
4. How will it effect current and future recruiting?
5. and most importantly what does RBY want to do?

Nova made a comment that RBY can't redshirt because he is the best 133 option. I simply pointed out with the possible exception of 2 examples that anytime a PSU stud has redshirted he was the best option, so "the best option" rule can't be all that weighted in a multi exponent equation.

As far as Hall goes, the coaches' plan was redshirt. It was Hall who wanted to wrestle and Cael had promised Hall and his dad that if Mark wanted to wrestle Cael would let him eliminate for the position. So Mark wrestling was not because Mark was the best option, it was a coach keeping his word even if it meant changing the plan.

I will still not be surprised if he shirts, however as the Hall example shows plans change.

To be clear that is not actually what I said. I said was we don't have another option that is anywhere near as good as he is. That was not true in the 2014-15 season when Nico, Zain, and Nolf redshirted. We had Conaway at 125 and the Altons at 149/157. It didn;t work out well as both Altons had injuries. IMHO, when that season began I think the coaches still thought we had a decent chance at the team title.

Reactions: CholleyVandine

...so you're saying that even with RBY, PSU won't be close to Iowa's 150 point total ;)

Reactions: NittanyChris
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT