ADVERTISEMENT

Who's starting at 174 this season?

Who will be Penn State's starter at 174 this season?

• Mark Hall

• Vincenzo Joseph

• Aaron Brooks

• Mason Manville

• Carter Starocci

• Joe Lee

• Surprise Transfer

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
he's staying with me this year and training in Easton. this was determined in 2013 as part of the slush-fund-master-plan-post-grad-recruiting-promise made to Mark. working out well so far.
When are you and Mark having the Harbaugh sleepover at Crookham's house?

Could someone please explain how a collegiate wrestler taking a year off from collegiate competition on Olympic Redshirt actually works, vis a vis the school?
I understand there are certain qualifications to be eligible, and I am not asking about that.

1. Assuming the wrestler is on scholarship, does he stay on scholarship?
If so, does his scholarship count against the schollies the school is allowed to have that year when he is on the Olympic redshirt?
Or is there a waiver for that kids schollie, so the school can keep his schollie for him, but also use that amt of scholarship money for a kid that will be competing for the school that year?

2. Is the wrestler allowed to stay in school, working on his degree?
Does he have to?

3. Is the wrestler allowed to continuing practicing folkstyle at all with his collegiate team?
Or must he confine himself to practicing with his school’s freestyle training team (if it has one)?

4. Does the wrestler have to go to an Olympic regional training center, or is he free to practice anywhere he chooses (other than his collegiate team)?

5. I think a wrestler can take an Olympic redshirt, and then later take the regular redshirt, assuming it hasnt already been used of course; is that correct?

It seems that depending on where the wrestler is in his collegiate eligibility, along with these issues may affect a decision whether to take the redshirt year, as much as one's chances of success in making the
team.

Thanks

Reactions: jtothemfp
Couldn't he (Hall) be enrolled, but taking 1 credit short of a full-load (I believe 12 credits is full load, so he could be enrolled, but only taking 11 credits, therefore still OlyRS eligible, right?

If Hall "is" living with Smalls, who will Smalls pair Mark up with at WNO? I'd like to see a another match with Alex Meyer at CHA.

Different results this time! :cool:

While we're at it sent the whole damn team to Easton to visit Larry Holmes before the next Rutgers match. :rolleyes:

Could someone please explain how a collegiate wrestler taking a year off from collegiate competition on Olympic Redshirt actually works, vis a vis the school?
I understand there are certain qualifications to be eligible, and I am not asking about that.

If so, does his scholarship count against the schollies the school is allowed to have that year when he is on the Olympic redshirt?
Or is there a waiver for that kids schollie, so the school can keep his schollie for him, but also use that amt of scholarship money for a kid that will be competing for the school that year?

Does he have to?

3. Is the wrestler allowed to continuing practicing folkstyle at all with his collegiate team?
Or must he confine himself to practicing with his school’s freestyle training team (if it has one)?

4. Does the wrestler have to go to an Olympic regional training center, or is he free to practice anywhere he chooses (other than his collegiate team)?

5. I think a wrestler can take an Olympic redshirt, and then later take the regular redshirt, assuming it hasnt already been used of course; is that correct?

It seems that depending on where the wrestler is in his collegiate eligibility, along with these issues may affect a decision whether to take the redshirt year, as much as one's chances of success in making the
team.

Thanks

Great questions! I have guesses/assumptions, but am also interested in the answers.

Does he have to?

team.

Thanks

I will take a stab and hopefully someone will correct anything I get wrong.

1. Not on ship.
2. Not allowed to stay in school. I didn't think this was true but Jason Bryant posted that on themat.com and he would know better than I.
3. Not sure on this one. He can't certainly practice any time he wants with any one he wants to outside of official college practices, but he may not be allowed to official college practices.
4. Can practice anywhere they want.
5. Olympic Redshirt is completely separate from a normal redshirt and has no effect on the ability to take a regular RS. As an example, if Hall takes an Oly RS this season he could still take a regular RS the next season if he wanted or needed to.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
3. Don't know about allowed vs. not allowed, but the Olympic shirt exists to provide a year of dedicated training in the Olympic style. So any time spent in folkstyle practices would be counter-productive.

LOL...

LDAP = Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. its used with active directory environments (computer networks) to locate people and devices.

Pretty sure he is a middleweight. But he is short and old for his class. Oh and his lack of offensive attacks might factor in?

Reactions: Str8DBLz

Does he have to?

team.

Thanks
1. Only if he gets financial aid is he on scholarship, which would only be the case if he continues part-time as a student. Yes, it would count against the 9.9, I believe, though it's rare as most OLY RS's aren't in school, therefore not on scholarship.

2. As I understand it, yes, but part-time only. Again, rare...which means he does not have to.

For the previous two answers, here's a hint into whether a student-athlete can go to school when taking an OLY RS. The NCAA language references the following re. the Olympics, "A student with eligibility remaining who is nor enrolled or who is enrolled in less than a minimum full-time program or studies..."

3. Don't know the folk vs free rule, though E-J is correct -- go all in on free for the year.

4. The wrestler is allowed to practice "at the institution the individual previously attended as an undergraduate, or currently attends or previously attended as an undergraduate". The institution must receive confirmation from the US Olympic Committee or national governing body in the sport has recommended the individual's participation. And, such participation only during the academic year immediately preceding the Olympics. So, it's the OTC or an RTC at a school they are attending or previously attended.

5. You are correct.

Any mention of bumping up?
Most of flo's lovingly supplied #content on this piece comes from Nomad paraphrasing this (no pay wall!) tweet from ASU Wrestling:

Though the writeup does have this sentence:
While he did not mention a weight class in the short interview, his freestyle aspirations would likely point to him bumping up to 184 this year, since he will be going 86kg (about 189lbs) in freestyle.

Reactions: danoftw
zahid's twitter handle implies that he'll be going 197lb this year with the hopes of bumping to 97kg for 2024. take that for what it's worth. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT