WHOA!!! Ralph Nader urges regulators to recall Tesla’s ‘manslaughtering’ Full Self-Driving vehicles

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
"manslaughtering"

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/10/23299973/ralph-nader-tesla-fsd-recall-nhtsa-autopilot-crash

Ralph Nader, a former presidential candidate and nationally recognized consumer protection advocate, called on federal regulators to recall Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” (FSD) driver-assist feature, calling its deployment “one of the most dangerous and irresponsible actions by a car company in decades.”

Nader, who first came to prominence with the 1965 publication of the bestselling book Unsafe at Any Speed, a highly influential critique of the American auto industry, said that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) must use its recall authority to order that Tesla’s FSD technology be removed from every vehicle.

“I am calling on federal regulators to act immediately to prevent the growing deaths and injuries from Tesla manslaughtering crashes with this technology,” Nader said in a statement released by the Center for Auto Safety.

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
"manslaughtering"

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/10/23299973/ralph-nader-tesla-fsd-recall-nhtsa-autopilot-crash

Ralph Nader, a former presidential candidate and nationally recognized consumer protection advocate, called on federal regulators to recall Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” (FSD) driver-assist feature, calling its deployment “one of the most dangerous and irresponsible actions by a car company in decades.”

Nader, who first came to prominence with the 1965 publication of the bestselling book Unsafe at Any Speed, a highly influential critique of the American auto industry, said that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) must use its recall authority to order that Tesla’s FSD technology be removed from every vehicle.

“I am calling on federal regulators to act immediately to prevent the growing deaths and injuries from Tesla manslaughtering crashes with this technology,” Nader said in a statement released by the Center for Auto Safety.

Don't know what they guy is talking about. There hasn't even been an accident or anyone injured using fsd yet.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Don't know what they guy is talking about. There hasn't even been an accident or anyone injured using fsd yet.

Are you sure?

"NHTSA is currently investigating 16 crashes in which Tesla vehicle owners using Autopilot crashed into stationary emergency vehicles, resulting in 15 injuries and one fatality."

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
Are you sure?

"NHTSA is currently investigating 16 crashes in which Tesla vehicle owners using Autopilot crashed into stationary emergency vehicles, resulting in 15 injuries and one fatality."

Did you even bother read what you posted? Autopilot and FSD are two completely different products.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Did you even bother read what you posted? Autopilot and FSD are two completely different products.

LOL... You are trying to split hairs rumble....

"Tesla models are popular for their autopilot features, but some models will eventually come with full self-drive mode. Autopilot is an advanced system of driver assistance technology, while full self-drive is a mode for future Tesla models that will assist the autopilot system in being even more autonomous."

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
LOL... You are trying to split hairs rumble....

"Tesla models are popular for their autopilot features, but some models will eventually come with full self-drive mode. Autopilot is an advanced system of driver assistance technology, while full self-drive is a mode for future Tesla models that will assist the autopilot system in being even more autonomous."

No I'm not splitting hairs. Autopilot is just an intelligent cruise control with lane keeping. Lots of cars sold today can have this capability.

FSD is a neural network that is trained to drive the car. FSD is only available as beta software and is currently limited to about 100,000 cars in North America. As far as I know FSD has never caused an accident and has never injured or killed a single person.

This is from your post -

This statement is false.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
No I'm not splitting hairs. Autopilot is just an intelligent cruise control with lane keeping. Lots of cars sold today can have this capability.

FSD is a neural network that is trained to drive the car. FSD is only available as beta software and is currently limited to about 100,000 cars in North America. As far as I know FSD has never caused an accident and has never injured or killed a single person.

This is from your post -

This statement is false.

If the product is flawed already, do you honestly think letting it "do more" is the right direction. Usually one fixes what is broke first before advancing the technology.

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
If the product is flawed already, do you honestly think letting it "do more" is the right direction. Usually one fixes what is broke first before advancing the technology.

All the ADAS systems are flawed.

FSD is taking a different approach. They are training a neural network using a 360 degree video data.

If they ever get if figured out, it will replace the Autopilot and ADAS systems.

Here is some interesting data on the currently shipping ADAS in cars. They far from perfect.

https://www.embedded.com/adas-vehicles-score-poorly-on-pedestrian-safety/

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
All the ADAS systems are flawed.

FSD is taking a different approach. They are training a neural network using a 360 degree video data.

If they ever get if figured out, it will replace the Autopilot and ADAS systems.

Here is some interesting data on the currently shipping ADAS in cars. They far from perfect.

https://www.embedded.com/adas-vehicles-score-poorly-on-pedestrian-safety/

" full self-drive is a mode for future Tesla models that will assist the autopilot system."

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
" full self-drive is a mode for future Tesla models that will assist the autopilot system."

They are different systems right now. FSD definitely detects and avoids hitting pedestrians. If you don't believe me then search youtube for tesla fsd beta and watch what the car can do yourself.

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
They are different systems right now. FSD definitely detects and avoids hitting pedestrians. If you don't believe me then search youtube for tesla fsd beta and watch what the car can do yourself.

Here is some video of Tesla's FSD beta software "slaughtering" children.

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I don't know how FSD works. Does the car require the driver to keep his hands on the wheel and/or his head looking forward?

I can certainly see drivers getting lazy and overconfident as technology does more of the work. But whose fault is that, the car or the driver?

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011

Video Claims Tesla Autopilot Repeatedly Runs Over Child Mannequin In Simple Test​

https://iflscience.com/video-shows-...g-over-a-child-mannequin-in-simple-test-64840

Repeatedly??

Read the comments for the link you provided. Here is the first one:

This was faked by the driver of the vehicle. During the video you’ll see an error as he starts driving with self driving on that error is blurry but it is actually a warning because the driver is overwriting the gas pedal by pushing on the gas pedal. This will keep the vehicle going even if it detects an object in the way. The video was uploaded at such a low resolution so that people wouldn’t be able to actually read the message on the warning. This guy was also running for the Senate in California for one specific purpose but to make Tesla stop using full self driving​

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003

This was faked by the driver of the vehicle. During the video you’ll see an error as he starts driving with self driving on that error is blurry but it is actually a warning because the driver is overwriting the gas pedal by pushing on the gas pedal. This will keep the vehicle going even if it detects an object in the way. The video was uploaded at such a low resolution so that people wouldn’t be able to actually read the message on the warning. This guy was also running for the Senate in California for one specific purpose but to make Tesla stop using full self driving​

I read the entire article. Thank you.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003

I also read this one.

Elon Musk’s regulatory woes mount as U.S. moves closer to recalling Tesla’s self-driving software​

https://fortune.com/2022/06/10/elon...on-traffic-safety-autonomous-fsd-fatal-probe/

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
The guy that created this video is the owner of software company that will lose a ton of business if Tesla is successful with fsd. There appears to be some questions around the fact that they may not have even enabled fsd when they did the test.
That's it, that's it, blame it on "Big Software", the new bogeyman

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Short the stock! You will be rich.

Might be a good idea. Now that Musk spurned democrats with his famous tweet below, they probably have a bullseye on him and Tesla. The democratic / governmental complex is at the ready.

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
My agenda? What would that be?
Your agenda is all in on Tesla and that's ok. But the slightest criticism and you go all bat shit defensive much like Michael Mann when his absurd hockey stick is questioned. I think it's important that Tesla (Musk) succeed and they are, whether it be autos or rockets. For god's sake he is the most successful entrepreneur of this century

Reactions: m.knox

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
Your agenda is all in on Tesla and that's ok. But the slightest criticism and you go all bat shit defensive much like Michael Mann when his absurd hockey stick is questioned. I think it's important that Tesla (Musk) succeed and they are, whether it be autos or rockets. For god's sake he is the most successful entrepreneur of this century

Your agenda is all in on Tesla and that's ok. But the slightest criticism and you go all bat shit defensive much like Michael Mann when his absurd hockey stick is questioned.

I don't mind criticisms based on facts. When it's based on propaganda I'm going to call it out. I could very well be wrong, convince me with real facts.

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Your agenda is all in on Tesla and that's ok. But the slightest criticism and you go all bat shit defensive much like Michael Mann when his absurd hockey stick is questioned.

I don't mind criticisms based on facts. When it's based on propaganda I'm going to call it out. I could very well be wrong, convince me with real facts.
Sometimes you just have to shake your head and let it slide

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Sometimes you just have to shake your head and let it slide

For example.....

Capture14.png

41....... Freaking 41............... For a $120K vehicle.......

rumble_lion

Aug 7, 2011
For example.....

Capture14.png

41....... Freaking 41............... For a $120K vehicle.......

They can't build them fast enough....

The standard Tesla Model X (from $120,990) currently has the worst wait time of any Tesla car, with the cheapest model forcing you to wait for a delivery date sometime between July and October 2023. Thankfully it too can be brought forward, if you pay a little extra.​

Latest posts